Forums

Commands for Tesla: A Tesla app for iPhone and Apple Watch

Commands for Tesla: A Tesla app for iPhone and Apple Watch

**This forum thread is for feature request and support for Commands for Tesla iOS and watchOS app**

Commands for Tesla adds Siri Shortcuts, today widget and Apple Watch support for your Tesla vehicle

In this forum thread, I will answer all questions, feature requests, and bug reports for Commands for Tesla app.

Supported vehicles: Model 3, S & X
Current version: 1.3
Download link from App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1445054572?ls=1&mt=8

Twitter: @Commands4Tesla

Apple Watch features:
- Sentry Mode
- Lock or unlock the doors
- Turn on or off the auto conditioning system
- Flash the lights
- Honk the horn
- Open the front trunk (aka Frunk)
- Open the back trunk
- See the temperature of inside and outside of the car
- Set the cabin temperature
- Turn on seat heater for driver and passenger
- Check the battery status of your car
- See the charging status of your car
- Open charger port
- Set charge limit
- See the last location of your car on map
- See the last location address of your car

You can use Siri shortcuts to send commands to your car and hear the current status of your car with below functionalities:
- Sentry Mode
- Open the charge port
- Flash the lights
- Honk the horn
- Open the back trunk
- Get the inside temperature of your car
- Get the outside temperature of your car
- Find out how much range remained

Today widget supported:
- Sentry Mode
- Flash the lights
- Honk the horn
- Open the back trunk

kcheng | 27 février 2019

Nice interface, and the watch app looks alot nicer than EV Watch! I'll have to skip a couple coffees, then I can buy it.

tyson | 27 février 2019

App looks great!

Maybe use only 2 or 3 significant figures for the temperature. Mine reports inside temp as “31.27999999...”. I appreciate the accuracy, but 31 degrees would give me a good enough idea of how cold it is.

commands4tesla | 27 février 2019

@tyson
Thank you for checking out the app. I'm sorry for temperature issue, that will be fixed in next release along with other improvements.

@kcheng
Thank you for checking out the app, I hope you could use it soon :)
Let me know if you had any questions.

sroh | 27 février 2019

Are you planning on releasing for android also?

@sroh
Yes, we are planning an android version for near future.

Aridala | 28 février 2019

Can this also be adapted to Tizen, for us Samsung Gear users??

tatz | 28 février 2019

is this the same as the already successful STATS for tesla app?

commands4tesla | 28 février 2019

@Aridala
We are currently investigating possible options for app for android wearable devices.

@tatz
No, we currently do not support any Stat feature in the Commands for Tesla app. They main purpose of the app currently is Apple Watch and Siri Shortcuts support. We're however, investigating possible options for adding Stats features to the app for future.

sroh | 28 février 2019

@commands,
Thanks. I am envious of the iPhone folks who are able to use Stats. Unfortunately, the developer has indicated he is not planning on porting over to android.

At your price point, I expect many android users will give it a try.,

@sroh
Thank you for pointing out. I hope we can get the android version done as soon as possible.

Carpe Manana | 28 février 2019

@commands,
Trying to add shortcut Siri command "Open Charge Port". Recorded voice. How do I save the shortcut as instructed? (this stuff is new to me).

benichols | 28 février 2019

This is a nice looking app for a start. Would be great to clean up the icons a little bit (ie there are some extraneous lines in the lock/unlock icon). I am still using EV Watch until this app comes up with range remaining in the Infograph corner complication, which I find very useful from EV Watch.

gbb0131 | 1 mars 2019

Definitely looks nicer than the Remote S app that I already have. Only purchased it to use the Siri Shortcuts... :-)

scherer326 | 1 mars 2019

just bought the app, works great. Definitely would like the icons to look cleaner if possible (should look like they appear on an iphone).

commands4tesla | 1 mars 2019

@Carpe Manana
Thank you for checking out the app.
For saving the shortcut, generally after recording your phrase, you have to tap the done button on the top right side of the screen and after that, you can use the command with Siri even the time your iPhone is locked. For example, you can say: "Hey Siri unlock the charge port".
I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@benichols
Thank you for checking out the app and your suggestions. I will ask our designer to check the possible options for making the icons to look better.
Please note that this is our first version and the feedback from you and other users will help us a lot in making the app better, thank you for your support.

@gbb0131
Thank you for your nice comments, I'm glad you liked the app.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions or any feature you would like to see in the app.

@scherer326
Thank you so much for your support. We will work on those and hopefully, we make them better in the next few releases. Currently, we're waiting for approval from Apple for our next release which includes the fix for decimal places for the temperature inside and outside of the vehicle and also includes more accurate feedbacks from Siri.

Carpe Manana | 1 mars 2019

@commands,
Thanks for your reply. I got it to open the charge port. Later, I added the shortcut for "Flash the Lights". When I tried it, Siri said the car was waking up, and to try again in a few minutes. I waited some time, and then got a message that the connection failed. I went to the Tesla app and waited for the car to wake up, and then told Siri to flash the lights, and it worked. Does the car always have to be wakened before I can flash the lights?

Icepucks | 2 mars 2019

I don’t see the app on my Apple Watch. Any ideas? All software and apps up,to date.

dgstan | 2 mars 2019

One thing I hate about the native Tesla app is that when I want to turn on the HVAC, it has to sit there and wait for the car to wake up before I can actually turn it on. Why can't it let me turn it on right away and then wake up the car after the fact so I don''t have to stand there like a doofus. Most times, by the time it finally wakes up, I could have walked out to the car and turned it on myself.

I want to tell it what to do first and then have it wake up the car after its accepted my instructions. Can the Commands app do that?

TexasBob | 2 mars 2019

nice app.Siri shortcuts very useful. HVAC Temperature setting does not work for me. Any way to enable the app on the watch to be a complication so it can be on the watch home screen?

commands4tesla | 2 mars 2019

@Carpe Manana
Thank you for letting me know, I'm glad I could help.
The main thing about the communication between any Tesla app and the car is any command should go through Tesla servers, this means there is no other way as of now to communicate directly between the app and your car. For making the communication over Tesla servers, because this happens over the internet connection of the car, if the car is asleep, it has to become awake first and then the command can be sent to car.

@Icepucks
Can you check in the Watch app on your iPhone and see if the Commands app is installed on your Apple Watch?

@Icepucks
If it was not there, please try to re install the app. Usually, if an app has a watch version it should be installed on your watch if you haven't turn that off in your Watch app on your iPhone

@dgstan
Unfortunately, as I explained earlier, currently there is no other way around communicating with your car by using any app other than sending commands through Tesla servers. I hope in the future, they make this option available to us to communicate with car directly through Bluetooth.
So, to send any command to the car, it has to be online first, and for making your car online, it has to be waked up. When the vehicle is awake, commands can be sent to the it.
I hope the explanation helps you to see what are the steps for communication between the app and your car.

@TexasBob
Thank you for bring this up. Actually there are different types of complication you can use on your watch as shortcut to the app on watch. Unfortunately, I can't upload any screenshots here, but if you refer to screenshots of watch app on the App Store, you should be able to see some example of complications on different watch faces.
Also about the HVAC temp, could you please let me know on which device it doesn't work? Apple Watch or iPhone?

dgstan | 2 mars 2019

commands - I'm not saying that you have to workaround Tesla's servers. Obviously, there's no way around that. What I'm saying is let me input my desired command into the app as soon as I open it. That command is then queued up just waiting for the car to wake so it can send the command.

That way, there's no waiting for the user. They enter the command and then the app waits for the car to wake up. We can set the phone down and walk away (even if it means leaving the app open.

Now:
Open app->Wait for car to wake up->Enter command->Execute command

Want:
Open App->Enter command->Wait for car to wake up->Execute command

commands4tesla | 3 mars 2019

@dgstan

Sorry I misunderstood your comment.
I think this will be a very good feature to queue the user's commands and execute them when vehicle is awake, we will definitely consider it.
I will update you about any farther progress.
Thank you.

commands4tesla | 8 mars 2019

New version of the app with improvements and fixes is now available to download. Please check the update section of youe App Store to make sure you have the latest version.

cdiamond | 8 mars 2019

I can't seem to get the app to show up on my apple watch series 4. Shows up on my iPhone fine and other apps auto install to the watch fine too.

ricksli | 8 mars 2019

Shows on my apps screen for watch, but it doesn't come up as a choice for the faces.

cdiamond | 8 mars 2019

I had to reboot both the iPhone and the apple watch to get the app on the watch. Seems good to go now...

@cdiamond

I'm glad you have it on Watch now. Let us know if you have any other concerns.

@ricksli
If you can, please check the App Store screenshots for Apple Watch, you can find currently supported Complications faces there.
The Complications are not supported for all the faces yet, we are working on adding more information as Complications and support more faces.

david | 9 mars 2019

Just downloaded app - so far, so good. BUT anytime I try to adjust the temperature (up or down) it automatically goes tho HI!! I like the idea of having a "max temp" or "max A/C" toggle, but you should be able to adjust the cabin temp without going to HI! Thanks.

commands4tesla | 11 mars 2019

@david
Thank you for your comment.
temperature adjustment buttons are not designed to set the cabin temp to HI or LOW.
As we double checked, everything seems fine on our side but we will keep eyes on this.

david | 11 mars 2019

I think you misunderstood me. I understand that right now the adjustment buttons are not designed to set cabin temp to HI or LOW (although this would be a nice feature). The issue I am having is that any attempt to adjust the cabin temp using the app results in the cabin temp being set to HI. I don't want that - I want to be able to make incremental adjustments.

On another topic, it seems to take a long time for the car to wakeup when I activate the app on either my phone or watch. What is the expected response time?

vincejojo | 11 mars 2019

Thanks for your creativity. I think the apple watch functionality is great (why I am buying). I hope you continue to update and make it better.

Mamafonz | 11 mars 2019

What are the exact words to say to Siri? When I say "What is the inside temperature of the Tesla" , siri sends me web pages about that topic.

vincejojo | 11 mars 2019

@Mamafonz. did you configure it from the app? it works for me

dgstan | 11 mars 2019

C4T - Any idea if you'll be able to implement the setting of the cabin temp without having to wait until the app wakes up the car? It takes so long to wake the damn car up in the morning that I find it's much quicker to walk out to the cold garage and open the car door.

Now:
Open app->Wait for car to wake up->Enter command->Execute command

Want:
Open App->Enter command->Wait for car to wake up->Execute command

richmond1508 | 11 mars 2019

Question - are you required to have your Apple Watch connected to your IPhone to use the app, or can it function as a standalone Apple Watch app if you leave your phone at home?

commands4tesla | 13 mars 2019

@david
the buttons are designed to increase or decrease the cabin temperature by 0.5 degrees. It seems a little strange to me why in your case it goes up to HI or down to LOW. I will double check it though.
About the response time, unfortunately, that is not something I can say for sure, it depends on how fast your car wakes up based on the network connection and other factors.

@vincejojo
Thank you for your support. We are making improvements all the time and hopefully, you will see updates to the app with fixes and new features regularly.

@Mamafonz
You have to first add a shortcut, then you can use it.
To add shortcuts within the app, you can go to the main page of the app and tap on the mic icon on the top left corner, then you will be navigated to the list of available shortcuts with the instruction of how to add them to Siri.

@dgstan
We are currently working on queueing the commands and execute them after the vehicle wakes up. I will update you as soon as we are done with it.
The goal is to achieve what you wanted: Open App->Enter command->Wait for car to wake up->Execute command

@richmond1508
Thank you for asking this, Apple Watch app can work as a standalone app from your iPhone as long as it is connected to the internet. So you don't need to have your phone with you all the time if you have a cellular Apple Watch for example.

Pages