Forums

Sentry battery drain test

Sentry battery drain test

I ran a test with Sentry mode running all night. With Sentry mode enabled I saw a drain of 1 mile per hour of range used. I hope that gives everybody a baseline to go from. Have a good day!

ybbor | 13 mars 2019

That sounds about right. The brain, the Nvidia Drive PX 2 consumes about 250W when active according to Nvidia, and that equates to about 1 mile of range per hours.

rkalbiarEV | 13 mars 2019

And what is it w/o?

beaver | 13 mars 2019

I measured 0.9 mph drain overnight, probably higher drain rate during the day if there are moving objects the cameras pick up and have to analyze.

justin.rogers77 | 13 mars 2019

Parked today at the airport until next week, sentry mode on. Going to watch it and see, parked with 262 miles of range.

Passion2Fly | 13 mars 2019

Thanks for the info. The dual cam BlackVue DR900S draws 400mA at 12V while recording. That’s 5 Watts peak power...

TeslaTap.com | 13 mars 2019

The downside of the Tesla dashcam is the entire AP system is required to monitor the cameras, hence the 250W power draw. Still, hard to beat free, even if it consumes 50 times the power of a typical dashcam.

terminator9 | 13 mars 2019

Amazing how many free QA people Tesla has! :)

calvin940 | 13 mars 2019

So around 8 miles per work day doesn't sound like a bad compromise to me for sentry mode with no vehicle mods, unsightly aftermarket cameras, etc. This is built right into the car already. I love it.

Teslanene | 13 mars 2019

I also tested yesterday and got about 1-2 miles per hour. Today I get to work don’t activated sentry mode but I check an hour later and battery lost 7 miles. Does teslacam stay active after you get out of the vehicle, yeterday was also first time I had tried teslacam. Outside temperature was 50 degrees.

skyler418 | 13 mars 2019

@Teslanene teslacam turns off when the screen turns off to my knowledge. Sentry mode basically prevents things from shutting down completely so that the cameras can continue to capture video. As for your drain Im not sure maybe you had sentry on by mistake?

Jettison | 13 mars 2019

""Parked today at the airport until next week, sentry mode on. Going to watch it and see, parked with 262 miles of range.""

Your battery will be dead in at least 11 days if just 1 mile used per hour. 262 miles divided by 24 hours = 10.91 days

Tesla2018 | 13 mars 2019

Is Sentry mode always on or do you need to turn it on? I am losing mileage from having cabin overheat protection on and no one is going to break into my car in the parking lot at work or while its inside my garage, so I dont want to lose 24 miles a day in tange.

justin.rogers77 | 13 mars 2019

Parked at 1030 et, n now it's 1300 et drained from 262 to 255, will more than likely turn it off. Only a 6 day trip, but don't want the tow of shame to a charger.

swanson21 | 13 mars 2019

mine is recording constantly even though I have sentry mode "off", then I have to erase all the files to get the red dot back on the dashcam

Passion2Fly | 13 mars 2019

I heard that 2019.5.4 was problematic. How’s 5.17? Can you turn Sentry off? I don’t want to install it if it drains the battery...

billlake2000 | 13 mars 2019

passion2fly, how will you know if you get a software is available message whether you are going to get 5.4 or 5.17?

wspieker | 14 avril 2019

I parked at the airport on Thursday afternoon with sentry mode on and with 216 miles left and came home Sunday morning and the battery was totally dead. Really bummed.

PhillyBob | 14 avril 2019

@Wspieker - Sorry to hear this .... I am sure you were not happy. The problem is that every car that drives by triggers the recording. I will only use it when I leave the car for more than a few hours if it is plugged in. I hope your experience teaches others.

jjgunn | 14 avril 2019

Using Justin.Rogers as a guide - sounds like Sentry Mode is using about 65-70 miles a day. That's simply way too much battery usage for long-term parking with Sentry Mode enabled.

jjgunn | 14 avril 2019

@Wspieker - Did Tesla Mobile Service come out & help you? Sucks, sorry that happened to you but thanks for being our beta tester. Haha

Gotta laugh it off.....otherwise, you'll just cry. Hang in there...and thx for telling us.

TeslaTap.com | 14 avril 2019

While I've not done the test, the fact Sentry mode is on requires the AP processor (at about 250W) to be powered up. The power drain should not change significantly as to what Sentry mode sees. This should be about 25 miles of range per day - and I thought a few others saw this drain rate. Also Sentry mode is supposed to shut down if the battery gets to 20% SOC. The car shouldn't be dead after 3 days even if it got to 20% SOC. Something else is going on.

@wspieker - Is there any chance a door was left slightly ajar? This would force the HVAC to remain on and would drain the car far faster depending on the local temps.

jjgunn | 14 avril 2019

Oh that's right! It is supposed to shut off at 20% left

Thx TT

wspieker | 14 avril 2019

Update on my situation: for whatever reason the car simply shut down. When I rebooted it, using the brake and two scroll wheels, it ultimately showed 190 miles left. Not sure why I had to reset it, but I will be careful about using sentry mode for extended periods of time in the future.