Forums

AP - $2000 Package - Auto Lane Change

AP - $2000 Package - Auto Lane Change

Would anyone else agree that it might make more sense to add Auto Lane Change to the basic AP $2k Package as opposed to FSD? essentially you still have to initiate and interact for that lane change to happen so it's not truly autonomous and with Navigate on Auto Pilot that will handle lane changes autonomously. Just seems like Auto Lane Change should be on basic AP Package. Thoughts?

jonandivette | 15 mars 2019

To Clarify, Nave on Auto pilot is part of FSD so that handling the lane changes without interraction seems fit, it's just in particular the turn signal lane change action I think should be part of basic AP.

burdogg | 15 mars 2019

I agree - to me - it should be exactly like AP 1.0. Ap 1.0 started at $2500, then was raised to $3,000. AP 1.0 does not have NavonAP - but it does have lane change - in that you want to change lanes, you flip the blinker, car moves if clear, and then you flip off the blinker.

The New plain autopilot is exactly like old AP 1.0 - with the lane change exception - which just seems odd to me - unless Tesla is really trying to push that feature as a selling point for FSD :)

roaddevil | 15 mars 2019

I wish it but will not ask for it, if Tesla does that, no one will buy FSD anymore, soon people will ask for everything Tesla put in FSD. Tesla’ name convention is very loose at the best. To people who are not familiar with Tesla terminology, they probably think AP is more advanced than FSD or the same at the least.

ahmedh | 15 mars 2019

Whole heartedly agree and it's what's keeping me from pulling the trigger on AP.

LostSoul | 15 mars 2019

Lane changing is another set of code that is required to check the car surrounding to determine of it's safe to move over. It also needs to know how many lanes are available and whether a move over is possible. These are crucial code to make Navigate on Autopilot to work. The code is probably tied or coupled with NOA code.
They could rip the code out and make them separate but I think it might take them some works so it might be easier to keep them together. I don't think it's as easy as just checking a box or setting a flag in the code to turn it on or off.

jonandivette | 15 mars 2019

Hi Tuoncan, I completely see where your coming from. What I would say is that with EAP both of those entities existed separately, Auto Lane Change existed along side NOA but I could see where maybe they are now maybe trying to keep that code concise.

roaddevil | 15 mars 2019

AP codes already checking the traffic on the next lanes. If you pay attention to AP reaction to next lane car signaling changing to your current lane, but before that car makes steering move, AP slows down your car and let the other car come in, to me that is more than auto steering and TACC combined.