Forums

New Federal EV rebates in Canada

New Federal EV rebates in Canada

The Globe and Mail has confirmed a $5000 subsidy for EVs in this weeks budget.

alexftsl | 16 mars 2019

That’s great news if it pans out. Compensates a little for Ontario’s shortsighted move to discontinue their subsidy to prop up the oil industry (hopefully the fed subsidy is still around after next provincial election). Now if the exchange rate could get a little better, things would look pretty good on mid range or standard range models in provinces that still have a subsidy ..

Basil65 | 16 mars 2019

The question is: when will it take effect and for how long?

tayloranthonywilson | 17 mars 2019

When would this take effect? Currently waiting on a VIN as we speak.

roberts | 17 mars 2019

Its about time the Feds added an EV incentive.

koppduong | 17 mars 2019

I've put off ordering myself waiting for another incentive to replace the provincial one I missed out on.
Curious on when it will be active, I don't know how much longer I can put off getting this car. Anxiously waiting

dwharrison | 18 mars 2019

We don't know when this will take effect, but it's reasonable to assume that it will be very quick, because there is an election coming. I suspect they'll want to maximize its effective period before the election in case the Conservatives win and cancel it. I'd hope it might even be retroactive to January 1. We won't know for sure until Tuesday afternoon though.

As for "how long", that depends on the election and politics, but even the report to the government that this is based on stated that the rebate should be short term as battery costs are coming down, and so there won't be a need for a rebate for much longer.

I'm also waiting on a VIN with a delivery date of March 26.

okko | 18 mars 2019

is there a link to read?

dwharrison | 18 mars 2019

This is a republishing of the Globe and Mail article without the paywall.

https://outline.com/Cf5hNB

okko | 18 mars 2019

thanks

jeff | 18 mars 2019

Thanks for the link.

I'm actually anxious to see a Fed Budget for a change! Wonder if it will exclude vehicles that are eligible for a provincial rebate?

kpoon.ca | 19 mars 2019

I am wondering if the 3 qualifies for it and when it will take effect
https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/autos/federal-budget-2...

inconel | 19 mars 2019

Apparently all Tesla cars are excluded? How much is MSRP of the base M3 in CAD?

ShaunyD | 19 mars 2019

@inconel The SR with no options is $47,600 CAD. The Canadian federal budget tabled today provides up to $5,000 CAD incentive for electric battery and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles with a sticker price of less than $45,000 CAD. That sucks!!!

d-birch | 19 mars 2019

That cost at $45,000 won't capture many current vehicles under the rebate! I can only think of the leaf that would be under for BEV and a few other Phevs.

inconel | 19 mars 2019

I am sure the price in CAD will fluctuate from USDCAD exchange rate. At 1.2 it will be under the 45k cap for example. There is hope from now until end 2020...

calvin940 | 19 mars 2019

The price line was drawn to exclude Teslas on purpose. Of that I have no doubt.

calvin940 | 19 mars 2019

The amusing (not funny, more sad) part is that the finanialpost article's main image is that of the front of a Tesla vehicle.

alexftsl | 19 mars 2019

Unfortunately it’ll encourage manufacturers to focus on vehicles that’ll give people a bad introduction to EVs (add Canadian winters , not so great charging network and range anxiety will set in fast). This is starting to sound like subsidized compliance vehicles. Not the best thing to really drive adoption.
I wonder if post-purchase upgrades would disqualify a vehicle (unlocking software limited range or additional torque)... maple leaf edition ?

sambolee | 21 mars 2019

Can someone message Elon and ask him to lower the price?

spreitzer.r | 21 mars 2019

A bunch of EV's will qualify: LEAF, Ioniq, Soul, Niro, Kona (maybe?). The average Canadian doesn't need anything more robust than these models as 25,000km/year is pretty easy to achieve on L2 only. Obviously for someone who drives 80,000km/year like I do, the Model 3 makes it very easy. I think Canadians have lots of great options even if the Model 3 doesn't qualify.

Iwantmy3 | 21 mars 2019

The whole budget is just a bunch of flashy headlines with the actual programs poorly designed of crippled from the beginning. Pretty much like the rest of the 3 1/2 years this government has been in power.