Forums

Driveway Canopy for Model 3?

Driveway Canopy for Model 3?

A friend of mine is in the process of buying an M3 here in the Bay Area. He will be parking outside under trees and wants to protect it from tree droppings by putting some kind of 'roof' over it. He is also wondering if he can find such an easy structure that has solar panels on top. Here is a quote from him: "What I would love is a lightweight solar carport that we could install in our driveway, with enough solar panels to recharge the car. I know this is probably still a pipe dream, but I just thought I would ask, because that would be the right thing to do. Also, there are tons of super-cheap carport tents, but they are all made with polyethylene (PE) and we are trying to stop buying plastic products. What's a boy to do to stay green in this day and age? "

Any advice is appreciated!

Wilber | 13 avril 2019

OK - my friend provided an updated version of a subject and thread. Here it is:

“Looking for an eco-friendly carport tent for our new Model 3”
Hello Tesla owners! We are looking for an eco-friendly carport tent or canopy for our new Model 3, to protect it from tree sap and falling branches, since we have so many trees on our property. Any suggestions? There are lots of cheap carport tents, but they are all made with polyethylene (PE) and we want to stop buying plastic products. So we are looking for an eco-friendly solution, which we could use not just for the car, but also to store our bikes and maybe a small workbench with closet space for tools we use a lot. All this would be right against our house’s front wall, so we can recharge the car..

In an ideal world, we would love a lightweight solar carport that we could install in our driveway, with enough solar panels to recharge the car. I know this is probably still a pipe dream or very expensive, but I just thought I would ask, because that would be the right thing to do in the long run. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that can help us care for our Tesla, and go green at the same time

Magic 8 Ball | 13 avril 2019

Couple of these covering 3's in our 'hood; they look sharp. You will still get the sideways blowing stuff on the car tho'.

https://video.costco.com/v/1718882756/palram-arcadia-5000-all-season-car...

fabriceflorin | 13 avril 2019

Thanks for your tip, Magic 8 Ball. I like the look of the Arcadia 5000 Carport you recommend. But it uses polycarbonate panels, and we are trying to use less plastic. What's a green person to do about using plastic when our overall goal is to lower our impact on the environment? https://www.costco.com/Palram-Arcadia-5000-All-Season-Carport.product.10...

Magic 8 Ball | 13 avril 2019

We pick and choose our battles. A green person does not drive anything.

kevin_rf | 13 avril 2019

Depends, did the green person eat my wife's cooking? In that case, your right, they won't be doing much of anything.

fabriceflorin, that car port does look sharp, wonder if it's long enough to cover our swim spa.

jim | 13 avril 2019

Might want to look at this company: https://www.bluetopsolar.com/solar-carport-residential/

SalisburySam | 13 avril 2019

@jim, looks like the Bluetop Solar Parking is just what the OP is looking for. Steel, or steel and wood construction, solar panels are the roof area itself. Designs are from very simplistic to high wow factors. The company is Denmark-based so probably would like a US-expansion...it’s all good. So @Wilber, how green do you want to get? If you’re serious, here it is!

Wilber | 13 avril 2019

Jim and SS: Looks good to me! Let's see what Fabrice thinks!

lilbean | 13 avril 2019

A green person would fashion something out of bamboo and palm fronds.

bpatter123 | 13 avril 2019

Solar. did you not say he will be parking under trees? seems a suboptimal application of the technology. Also, recharging the panels- we have an 18 panel array (a 5KW construct) and it gets up up to 20-24KW /day here in SoCal. That will not fill up the tank

Carl Thompson | 13 avril 2019

Just make sure your neighborhood association allows it!

fabriceflorin | 14 avril 2019

Thank you all for your good insights! Going green is harder than I thought, and we're still searching for practical ways to still get things done in our lives, but without having such an impact on our environment as we had in the past. I really like the Bluetop Solar Parking link shared by @jim, and just emailed the company to ask if they know any similar products in California, even though they are in Denmark. I think it's an idea whose time has come, and expect we'll start seeing more solutions like this one crop up to meet our needs. @bpatter123, we are under a row of cypress trees, but they are north of our driveway, so we still get good sun exposure about 6 hours a day. And I know that it would take at least 10 panels for a few days to fully recharge our car over, but even small steps matter when looking at ways to reduce our carbon footprint and live more sustainably. So I'm exploring all options and leaving no stone unturned. Thanks again, you all, much appreciated!

thedrisin | 14 avril 2019

There are many all steel carports if you Google it. Lowes has one for under $1k.