Forums

Spoiler coming off - anyone have a fix?

Spoiler coming off - anyone have a fix?

Hello, for anyone who has had the carbon fiber spoiler installed (I believe this is only on the performance model) have you experienced it coming "unglued"?
It is installed with simply double-sided "sticky tape". With the recent heat wave in Northern California the last several days, the "glue" on the sticky tape on one side has started to give way and there is now a considerably noticeable gap between the spoiler and the trunk.
Has anyone else experienced this? And were you able to devise a fix without having to schedule a service appointment?

lilbean | 13 juin 2019

How about reapplying the tape?

lilbean | 13 juin 2019

I would make sure to clean the surfaces really well first.

ST70 | 13 juin 2019

duct tape can fix anything!

StealthP3D | 13 juin 2019

Happened to me... But it didn't really fit correctly and I don't think the mobile service guy knew what he was doing. He said this was the first time he installed one. He also used a tiny alcohol pad to wipe clean, but I'm sure it wasn't clean enough because it eventually fell off.

surfpearl | 14 juin 2019

I was proactive (my middle name :), assuming that the spoiler would eventually get unglued, especially at the ends, so I went to my detailer right after the spoiler installation and asked them to apply some glue of their choice along the whole length of the spoiler. They did, but the curvature on the right-hand side end of the spoiler didn't fit perfectly the curvature of the trunk lid, and that end kept getting unglued. It took a couple of trials with different types of glue (don't know which) until they got it to stay firmly attached. That end had to be secured really well (taped with extra layers of masking tape or strapped with roof-rack ties) to the trunk lid during the cure. I had PPF on the trunk lid, but that didn't matter one way or another. Now the spoiler is rock solid.

lbowroom | 14 juin 2019

Napa, was it factory installed or added after? Many problems with install by service centers.

Surf, that sounds wild. SC using liquid adhesives to attach to your car on top of PPF and that didn't matter? What?

howard | 14 juin 2019

NapaChris, That is a bummer. It should be replaced. I can see direct sun and extream heat continuing to cause problems with adhesion.

FifthOnLeft | 14 juin 2019

I have an unwrapped Model 3 spoiler that I received months ago. Is anyone interested ? We can talk off line.

Kary993 | 14 juin 2019

I would drive the car in to a sC and have them fix it.

Kary993 | 14 juin 2019

Don't make an appointment BTW...just drive in and show them.

lbowroom | 14 juin 2019

To "fix" it. it needs to be removed. Old adhesive tape has to be completely removed from spoiler and car. New adhesive tape would have to be applied to the spoiler, or I presume they'd use a new one, and then start over.

surfpearl | 14 juin 2019

@lbowroom - It wasn't the SC that used liquid adhesives on my car. It was my detailer (the same one who installed the PPF), so presumably they know their stuff.

synfendia | 14 juin 2019

@FifthOnLeft - I'm interested. Please reach out at synfendia@gmail.com if you're still willing to sell it