Forums

Home Wall Charger Recommendations

Home Wall Charger Recommendations

Here on Long Island, NY, my electric utility, PSEG LI, offers a $500 rebate for a level 2 home EV charger. Not for the Tesla charger, because it doesn't allow WiFi communication with them. The chargers they do offer a rebate on are:
ChargePoint Home CHP-25
ClipperCreek HSC40
EVoinnovate iEVSE
JuiceBox Pro 32 & 40
Siemen's Versicharge
Does anyone here have any experience with any of these chargers?
I'm still leaning toward the Tesla unit in spite of the rebate for 3 reasons.
Tesla's unit can charge ate a higher power (pun intended)
It's the best looking one of the bunch IMO
I don't want to be using the J1772 adapter to charge at home
I have 4500 free SC miles good until mid November, so it's not a rush decision.
Talk amongst yourselves and get back to me.:-)

CharleyBC | 17 juillet 2019

My utility offered a choice of a Level 2 charger or a cash rebate. Teslas have chargers built in, so we took the rebate. Check whether you might have a similar choice.

The other choice you didn't mention is simply installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet. With the appropriate adapter from Tesla (used to be included--now a $35 accessory) you can charge at about 30 mph. That's what we use.

The Tesla wall charger is all you said: nice looking and higher powered if installed on an appropriate circuit. Do you need that power? With our 14-50, an overnight charge gives us all we need.

Plug-n-Play | 17 juillet 2019

Also from Long Island, I went with the Tesla charger for the fastest rate. Otherwise just get a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the mobile connector with the adapter and save a lot more for he same speed.

Plug-n-Play | 17 juillet 2019

Also from Long Island, I went with the Tesla charger for the fastest rate. Otherwise just get a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the mobile connector with the adapter and save a lot more for he same speed.

gballant4570 | 17 juillet 2019

You would have to try hard to use a J1772 for home charging I would think....a 240V circuit at anywhere from 20A-50A, depending on your load center excess capacity and/or distance (determines wire gauge & cost) will be fine for home charging. The rebate may not matter - my home charging setup, simply a NEMA 14-30 receptacle wired into an existing 30A 240V circuit cost less than $30, and works flawlessly. No J1772 req'd, but I did need to but the correct adapter plug from Tesla, $35.

Joseb | 17 juillet 2019

See if you can get a rebate for the 14-50, better resale value of your home :)

I doubt anyone really requires the wall charger. I drive 40miles daily roundtrip and even the 120v included connector recharges at (very low yeah) 5 mi/h but enough to get it back to full or more through the night.

Nadler | 17 juillet 2019

Seems the SAE J1772 adapter plug is now $95.00 from Tesla (unless there is another adapter).

kevin_rf | 17 juillet 2019

I thought the Model 3 still came with the J1772, it was just the NEMA 14-50 that was dropped from the Tesla mobile kit.

As far wall connector/chargers look at whose software you like best and price. As far as the car is concerned, they all provide pretty much the same juice. The only advantage they offer over a wall plug is it's usually more convenient at night when you get home to lift the handle off the wall. Yes, I use the Tesla Wall Connector.

Btw. Looking at that list a few have different charging currents, between 25 and 40 amps. That will impact charge rate. Note, unless you ordered a dual motor or performance, max charge current will be 32amps (40amp breaker). The charge rate is a little less than one mile per amp per hour. 25amps is ~22 miles an hour and 32 amps is ~30 miles an hour.

kevin_rf | 17 juillet 2019

@jluiswn, My daily commute is ~95ish miles a day, with random events called life often taking me over 150 miles for the day. 120v wall outlet at 5 mph during the summer would not get me through my typical work week. In the winter I would completely crash and burn.

Devilstower | 17 juillet 2019

I use a super cheap “turbo cord” J1772 charger I had on hand for my Volt. Gives about 6mph plugged in to 120, 16 mph on 240.

But the big advantage to me is it’s already out there, hanging by my driveway, so I never have to worry about getting out my Tesla mobile adapter.

Devilstower | 17 juillet 2019

I use a super cheap “turbo cord” J1772 charger I had on hand for my Volt. Gives about 6mph plugged in to 120, 16 mph on 240.

But the big advantage to me is it’s already out there, hanging by my driveway, so I never have to worry about getting out my Tesla mobile adapter.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 18 juillet 2019

@kevin_rf, I have the LR RWD which will max out at 48 amps.
I'll be installing the circuit and wall connector myself, so I'll save about $500 right there.I don't have a garage, so using the mobile connector is a bit of a pain, plus It forces me to back up in my driveway in order to charge. Then there's the wear & tear on the mobile connector from using it so often.
My local SC is only about 7 -8 miles away, so I won't have to worry about it until December.
That being said, I got my car on 6/16/19. Will my SC miles run out on that date (12/16) or the end of December? Assuming I don't use up the miles first.

hokiegir1 | 18 juillet 2019

We initially had a J1772 connected charger at home. It lasted about 6 months before it was replaced for the Tesla HPWC. We ended up selling it for about half of what we paid to someone who bought a Leaf.

venpol | 18 juillet 2019

@CRAIGJFIFTY3 - does one need a smart meter to use one of the chargers eligible for the rebate?

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 18 juillet 2019

I don't know. I do know that PSEGLI requires wifi access to the charger in order to participate in the program. I think they want to control when it's being used, or at least to monitor its usage.

gballant4570 | 18 juillet 2019

If you're mounting your charging outside, you should get the Tesla equip. 240V circuits with adapters are probably best used in a building.....

kevin_rf | 18 juillet 2019

I would guess wifi is how they determine if the usage qualifies for what ever special rate you may get for the Tesla.

My power company went with a separate smart reader that's only hooked up to the car. Everything on the meter is billed either peak or off peak depending on time of usage.

Gbaxter | 18 juillet 2019

Buy the Tesla Wall charger. Install 4 gauge copper cable from your electrical panel, hardwire it into the wall charger (no outlet/plug), use a 60amp breaker, and you will see 42 miles an hour of charge. Been using it for a year with my DM3, and no issues.

ODWms | 20 juillet 2019

My setup is the same as Charley BC with the NEMA 14-50 outlet i installed myself, and I couldn't be happier with it. Full "tank" of fuel upon waking every morning? What's not to love? And the cost is $500 less than buying the wall charger. I couldn't care less whether it's finished charging at 3:45 AM or 5:15 AM. Either way I'm not up yet.

Devilstower | 20 juillet 2019

If anyone was waiting on them, I got an email that the 14-50 adapter is back in stock.

Lonestar10_1999 | 20 juillet 2019

ODWms +1

Having the Nema 14-50 rather than the proprietary Tesla wall charger gives you a more versatile power source for any EV. If you sell your home, you can tout its EV ready, rather just Tesla ready.

For instance, if FISHEV was interested in buying your home, the Tesla wall charger wouldn’t have any appeal because he/she would be driving a Kona, not an M3.

gballant4570 | 20 juillet 2019

But the OP needs an outdoor installation.....makes the Tesla charger the best choice, IMO.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 21 juillet 2019

I had given some thought to installing a weatherproof 14-50 outlet on a 60 amp circuit and hoping Tesla pulls a price drop at some point, like they just did on the M3. Then I could buy the HPWC cheaper and use the outlet box as a junction box.
I'm a little miffed about the price drop, by the way. For $1000 more, I could have gone from LR RWD to LR AWD. I would've gone for that deal.

geedub1023 | 21 juillet 2019

NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage. Electric rates drop at 11pm and that's when I have my M3 set to start charging. Like Lonestar, I wake up in the morning and the car is charged and ready to roll.

@Craig Your latest idea of a weatherproof 14-50 outlet sounds like a good plan initially.

syclone | 21 juillet 2019

I live on Long Island as well. I bought the JuiceBox 40. This is a really heavy duty device. If you have a 14-50 outlet, installation is very easy (just plug it in). This unit will charge at the highest level that the Model 3's internal charger is capable of (38 - 40 amps) if you have a 50 amp breaker on your line. Net cost - $50.00. The rebate check comes in about 3 weeks. I've been told that PSEG will start to offer EV car rates "very soon".

Plug-n-Play | 21 juillet 2019

Splitting hairs but the Model 3 has a max charge rate with a 60 Amp breaker for 48 Amps.

As for PSEGLI’s EV rates, will that require one of the network connected chargers?

Also, I’ll be going Solar this year, not sure how that will tie in to their EV rate plan.

Plug-n-Play | 21 juillet 2019

Disregard my hair splitting, I misread what you said and missed the 50 A qualification.

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 juillet 2019

The “50” of the 14-50 stands for amperage. If you install a NEMA 14-50 outlet the breaker rating should not exceed 50A, otherwise the outlet will not be protected if it serves a load greater than 50A.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 22 juillet 2019

Lonestar, that would apply to the wall connector. The mobile connector plug adapters limit the current to 75% of the current rated for that plug.
Plug-n-play, I've had solar for 11 years. I just replaced my old system this past February and it kicks the old systems butt. Today it just crossed $1000 worth of output @ 17 cents/kwh. So, even down the line it won't cost me anything to charge my M3, except for charging on the road.
I'm probably going to upgrade my service to 200 amps next month, then I can run the circuit for the HPWC at my leisure this fall.

CharleyBC | 22 juillet 2019

“I had given some thought to installing a weatherproof 14-50 outlet on a 60 amp circuit...”

Please don’t. It’s not safe. Go ahead and wire for 60 amps, but use a 50 or 40 amp breaker. The 14-50 outlet is only rated up to 50 (the latter half of its name). A 60A breaker isn’t going to trip when it should to protect things. And if you’re only using the outlet to charge your Model 3, you can use a 40 since the car only draws 32A anyway.

But if you wire for 60A, with a 40 or 50A breaker and a 14-50 outlet now, then when you by a wall charger later, you can bump up to a 60A breaker while keeping the existing wire.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 22 juillet 2019

Yes. That's exactly what I wold do if I were to start with a moble connector and switch to the HPWC.
By the way, I have the LR RWD which can charge at up to 48 amps. That's why I'd want to go with a 60 amp circuit.

CharleyBC | 22 juillet 2019

Sorry, I was vague. The 32A limitation is when charging with the standard mobile connector. As you say, LR can take 48A from a wall charger.