Forums

Moving to Utah, need advice for snow driving

Moving to Utah, need advice for snow driving

We're moving from the Bay Area to Park City, UT. I have a 2016 MS 90D (AWD) with the 21" grey turbine wheels.

I think I want to eventually switch to a Model X, as it seems it would be a better snow/mountain car. In the interim, a few questions:

1) I assume I'll need 4 snow tires. Any suggestions?

2) Will I ever need chains? I looked into this and it seemed hard or even impossible to put chains on the 21" turbine wheels.

3) Any other tips?

Thanks.

Bighorn | 9 août 2019

Nokian R3, Michelin X-Ice or Blizzaks are the standard snow tire choices.
Chains just for compliance if you’re traversing passes though AWD with snow tires usually will be compliant.
Get dedicated 19” rims for better options and functionality.
Model S will perform similarly to an X on snow country. Possibly better due to lower COG.

switters | 9 août 2019

Thanks, Bighorn. I'll look into some 19" rims and snow tires.

Bighorn | 9 août 2019

Rial Luganos are a popular set up from TireRack. Quite similar to the 21” turbines.

pnajar | 9 août 2019

Way pre-Tesla, and years ago I lived in Park City. Now I’m in Colorado and a frequent skier. Over the years I’ve learned a simple lesson of driving in western snows. Stopping is more difficult than starting to move. Since learning that lesson in Park City, in the winter I’ve put four snows on all of my cars. The best all around snow car I’ve ever owned is my 100D

grins.va | 10 août 2019

@switters - May 2019 Owners Manual page 161 still states chains cannot be used on 21 inch wheels. Good you are getting 19 wheels and snow tires. GL.

switters | 10 août 2019

Thanks, everyone. One question I forgot to ask: how much is range reduced in winter temps?

lilbean | 10 août 2019

Congrats! Utah is beautiful.

Bighorn | 10 août 2019

@switters
Winter efficiency varies greatly. If you have the car plugged in and battery conditioned and you forego heat for seat heaters, you can get close to summer efficiency. A cold battery and toasty cabin can drop efficiency 20-40%

barrykmd | 10 août 2019

Living in Colorado, my experience has been a 10-20% drop. I use seat heaters and the seated steering wheel when first getting into a cold car and usually keep cabin heat on 66 or so. My windows aren't tinted and the strong, bright sun characteristic in this part of the country keeps the car warm midday. If the roads are snowpacked, you'll lose more.

dornkol | 6 novembre 2019

Are you putting some extra weight on your Tesla? I mean will you carry your luggage with it? It might get dangerous. You know, I moved during winter as we needed to leave the house immediately. In general, you should avoid moving during winter, or whenever there's snow on the street. Even a moving company will increase the cost of moving during the cold season because there's more risk involved. But if you still have to do it, my advice is to contact a moving company than trying to move on your own. They have experience moving in bad conditions.
If you're interested in finding more about the prices charged by a moving company, continue reading on https://www.threemenandatruck.net/cost-of-2-guys-and-truck.php

TSLC | 6 novembre 2019

PC is very capable when it comes to snow management and removal. They do a better job even than the valley. You don’t need an X unless you want one. Other posters have already covered the snow tire recommndations. There is good access to the SLC metro on well maintained and wide interstate 80 as these improved highway infrastructure through the mountains was designed to support the Olympics, tourism and is a major commerce thoroughfare. For those of us that live down in the city proper, we can handle winter conditions with AWD and a capable all season like the Exteme Contact DWS in a pinch even in the hills on the bench.

There are numerous charging options and free public transport in PC as well as a planned Supercharger to supplement any home charging. Range and convienient charging will be a non issue in such a progressive and affluent place.

Enjoy!

john | 7 novembre 2019

I live in Salt Lake City and frequently drive to Park City during the week and on weekends. I have a 2016 MS 90D with 20" aftermarket wheels with 245/40ZR-20 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XL tires year-round. I have zero problems in the snow. I also have Blizzaks mounted on 19" Cyclones, but I did not use them last winter, nor do I plan to mount them for this coming winter season. The 90D is truly amazing in the snow, even in places like Park City. A very good all-season tire is all that you need.

tvprier | 7 novembre 2019

I live in upstate ny. Blizzaks is my rec. I’m from Canada originally. Winter tires in my opinion are better than all seasons hands down. With awd will be fine.

Earl and Nagin ... | 10 novembre 2019

tip,
Some times, when there's a snow storm laying down about 2 to 4 inches of fresh snow, find an open parking lot and do some threshold braking and sharp turning practice.
All of the expensive equipment in the world won't overcome good driver judgement through experience.

tip,
Some times, when there's a snow storm laying down about 2 to 4 inches of fresh snow, find an open parking lot and do some threshold braking and sharp turning practice.
All of the expensive equipment in the world won't overcome good driver judgement through experience.

tip,

Tldickerson | 10 novembre 2019

I hear ya loud and clear!