Forums

Not hearing loud fan or compressor noise while supercharging at 140 kW

Not hearing loud fan or compressor noise while supercharging at 140 kW

Earlier this year (update 2019.12.1 I received in April) I received higher supercharging power capabilities up to 150 kW from 120kW. For the first month or two I noticed the cooling system running full bore whenever I supercharged over 100 kW, including for about 10 min after the charging was complete sometimes.

Fast forward to today, and for roughly the last month I don't recall hearing my model 3 compressor run high anytime during supercharging. Last week I supercharged at 135-147 kW multiple times on a road trip without any noisy fan or compressor noise. I have driven a model X that still does this noisy compressor/ fan noise while supercharging, and I have heard it from model S and X at supercharging stations. I don't recall hearing it from other model 3s recently as well, so maybe it was a software update.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am a little concerned that my battery may be getting too hot.

vmulla | 13 août 2019

No. It's normal.

beaver | 13 août 2019

@ vmulla are you also not hearing the loud fan noises anymore? Hopefully just a tweak but makes me wonder why and when it changed

vmulla | 13 août 2019

I noticed the change the same time I noticed the message on the screen saying that the car is preparing for Supercharging. I still hear the noises, just not the sudden loud start/stop that I'm familiar with.

Magic 8 Ball | 13 août 2019

@beaver Without hearing YOUR noise for themselves no one can claim what YOU are hearing is normal. That being said the car has excellent self diagnostics and will most likely tell you if your BMS is out of whack.

Hot Cha | 13 août 2019

@beaver - I had a similar experience with my SR+ as I traveled long distances in April. I heard a loud fan noise as I was charging at super chargers. I don’t hear it anymore and I’ve wondered why as well.

zerogravitydrgn | 13 août 2019

What was the temp outside each time. I’ve only noticed then driving a long distance and supercharging at 100F

vmulla | 13 août 2019

@M8B is absolutely correct. It's best you schedule a service center visit to make sure everything is normal.

I do not recommend making an appointment as a snarky over reaction suggests. I do recommend not listening to people who think they can diagnose your situation without complete understanding. Those people will lead you down rabbit holes in attempt to preserve their ego.

Of course most everything here is anecdotal from anonymous strangers so if you have concerns that worry you the experts are at Tesla and it is best to get those types of questions answered by them.

vmulla | 13 août 2019

@M8B,
Speaks the truth :))

---

if you noticed the change you'd know what you're talking about. I'm sharing that I noticed the change the same time I noticed the messages about pre-conditioning for supercharging. I shared the best info I have, rest is upto you.

beaver | 13 août 2019

It was hot the days I was driving, between 90-100F. I will keep an ear on it. Perhaps the 3’s fooling syatem being a lot better then the S and X is the reason they could dial back the fan speed.

zerogravitydrgn | 13 août 2019

Might be. I took a 1200 mile drive this week and it was 90 plus degrees. Supercharged 4 times in one day and it was different each time in regards to how much the cooling system was running

vmulla | 13 août 2019

@beaver,
Here's my theory: By pre-conditioning for Supercharging the car is getting things aligned so that the are fewer loses at charging, that is one factor for faster charging. Lesser charging losses = less heating of the battery = less cooling required. It's only a theory, but that's how I rationalized my observations.

Thoughts?

beaver | 13 août 2019

@vmulla
Maybe...but the preconditioning increases battery temp to 35-40C that gives highest charge rate. I conclude that more cooling is necessary during high power charging with preconditioning sinc sbatteey ia already hot when you start.

lechner | 13 août 2019

@Magic 8 Ball
making an appointment is (at the moment) the only way to "talk" to tesla
so your 2 postings sound inconsistent

@beaver
does it cool (loud fan or compressor noise) AFTER super-charging?

beaver | 13 août 2019

@lechner no I don’t hear any unusual or loud fans or compressors after charging nowadays. Back in May I did frequently.

Magic 8 Ball | 14 août 2019

@lechner You can contact (talk) with Tesla by phone, email, or chat.