Forums

TPS issue..Has anyone else experienced this?

TPS issue..Has anyone else experienced this?

Woke up today and got the warning “Tire Pressure Low - Check Tire Pressure x4”

Checked all 4 tires and they are fine..the tire PSI is in amber font..hmmm

https://imgur.com/gallery/BH7D68L

derotam | 4 septembre 2019

What do you normally set your pressures to? Also what does it say in your door jam for recommended pressure?

Lorenzryanc | 4 septembre 2019

40-45 is "normal" for this car. 18in tires at least. It may be triggering "low" at 39, although mine has gone off at 38. I'd pump them up a tad and I'm unsure if you can change the threshold. Mine are usually 42-43 cold.

FYI all, as winter comes, your pressures will fall and we'll be getting a lot more posts around tire pressures so keep them up as the weather cools.

TrexTesla | 4 septembre 2019

I have the 18 inch aero wheels. When I got my car, they were set to 46psi! I reduced them to 42 at first (the recommended psi on the door), then reduced them even further to 37/38 ish...I got warnings for a few days, but after hitting the "reset TPMS" button, it has not been a problem since...

a1chang1 | 4 septembre 2019

The recommended pressure is 45 psi for the 18” wheels! Double check the sticker by the drivers door. That is why you are getting the messages. At the lower pressure, don’t complain about your battery range or if you damage your tires/wheels on potholes.

a1chang1, unless you have the updated sticker that says 42psi. :) In regards to range..I guess you don't pay attention to what Musk has said about the subject.

TrexTesla | 4 septembre 2019

+1 derotam. Musk actually states it was okay to drop to 37/38 if you want a more comfortable ride, and a higher pressure (42) if you want more miles...I leave them around 37/38 for my daily commute (20 miles each way) and pump them to 42 and pop on the aero covers for my twice a month 400 miles round trip journey.

Bighorn | 4 septembre 2019

Those are triggering pressures, but they can read low at altitude.

Petergalindez, yes. I merely was going on the implication by a1chang1 that there would be excessive range loss.

I keep my pressures at 45psi cold no aero covers, and have had no issues with ride comfort...but everyone is different. Though I think a lot of people just are comparing their Tesla to their old car and adjusting to try and match.

coleAK | 4 septembre 2019

For you all running low psi. It’s dangerous on the road, and you will premature wear out tires from the outside of the tread “cupping”. Remember the low PSI Ford Explorer/Firestone: tire failure->deaths->lawsuits. PSI is determined by: vehicle weight, tire load rated. There are tables to figure it out. And Twitter is never a validated source of information...
https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_table...

Cactusone | 4 septembre 2019

Thanks for the replies...the recommended pressure on my P model with the 20's is 42 psi..I've been running them at 38-39 psi for last 2600 miles.

I believe I have am issue with the receiver..today I'm getting some other wacky displays.

https://imgur.com/gallery/A7XeebD

https://i.imgur.com/s85mWPW.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZtOXk5B

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ebs9j2D

Syed.Hosain | 4 septembre 2019

A simple way to select a pressure is to regularly measure the tread depth "across" the width of the tire while maintaining a consistent particular pressure (measured and set every week with an *accurate* gauge).

1. If you see higher tire wear in the center of the tread, your pressure selection is high - reduce by 1 or 2 psi (while avoiding the 36 psi lower limit) till you get more even wear.

2. If you see higher tire wear on the inner and outer edges, your pressure selection is low - increase by 1 or 2 psi till you get more even wear.

3. Avoid going below 36 psi - that is the value used for the load index reporting for tires and lower pressures will derate the index that value. This is more important for our heavier cars than other brands/models where the mftr has tested and set for lower values. FWIW, even for my wife's Acura TSX (label says 33 psi), I selected 36 psi.

This maximizes the value of the tire costs too.

@coleAK "For you all running low psi. It’s dangerous on the road, and you will premature wear out tires from the outside of the tread “cupping”."

Yeah. Plus the wear on the inside will also be higher.

@Cactusone "I believe I have am issue with the receiver..today I'm getting some other wacky displays."

Hmmm ... I see those dashes when the car is first entered and driving starts ... after a short distance and time, the readings stabilize.

That "low" warning may be left over from the previous warning report?

"Woke up today and got the warning “Tire Pressure Low - Check Tire Pressure x4”

Checked all 4 tires and they are fine."

I hope you used a good external tire pressure gauge to "check", or did you eyeball it?

Looking at a tire means nothing ... :)

Syed...yes I used a digital pressure gauge..I actually used 2 different types..the external picture of the left front tire was just to show that the tire is not flat..

I have a mobile tech appointment today for another issue (dirty sock smell out of AC)..I hope the tech has the proper test equipment since my original appointment did not mention the TPS issue..

terminator9 | 4 septembre 2019

Mine used to trigger at 38/39 in winter. I heard that they lowered the threshold in one or the updates. Mine are currently around 38 and the message has not triggered. I am on 2019.28.3.1 but it could have been a previous version that made the change. Which software version are you on?

I’m on 2019.32 9d0d19a..to be exact

TeslaTap.com | 4 septembre 2019

@Cactusone - First image is normal. It indicates no TPMS transmissions have been made for some time, which occurs when the car is parked for more than a few minutes. The TPMS sensors save battery power by only transmitting when the wheels rotate. Even then, they only send the pressure info infrequently, unless an air pressure drop occurs, then they go into emergency transmit mode with more frequent transmissions.

So when you see "- -", it just means it hasn't seen a current transmission from that sensor. Tesla will remember if the pressure was low on the last received reading and will keep the warning up until the pressure is set to normal. It is odd to see all four trip at the same time. It might occur if you set the pressures when the tires were hot, and then cools such that the pressures are in the 38 or lower range. Filling the tires should be done when the tires are cool, not immedately after driving around.

Slonkis | 4 septembre 2019

@OP, you forgot to put a cover sheet on the TPS report :-)

@Slonkis.. haha, you must be a software engineer.

@TeslaTap thanks for the info...I checked and set the tire PSI as cold as it gets in the Arizona summer (104F) currently. Just kidding, I know what you meant by cool.

Still waiting on the mobile tech...will report what he finds...

Cactusone | 5 septembre 2019

Well the mobile tech changed the front left TPS transmitter and everything is working normal now. He also changed my cabin filters and cleaned my AC..no more bad smells!

Great service..

Slonkis | 6 septembre 2019

Did he charge anything for replacing the air filters?

sixstring09 | 6 septembre 2019

Just use the reset TPMS option and you will be fine since you manually checked the pressure and are running at 38-39.

Cactusone | 14 septembre 2019

Slinkies..sorry for late response..No charge for Filters or the TPMS since vehicle is under warranty.. However I did buy the tech lunch.

posinator | 19 septembre 2019

with 2019.32.2.2 can the psi warning threshold be lowered? like for my winter tires come december?

lbowroom | 19 septembre 2019

Yes

posinator | 19 septembre 2019

@lbowroom menu sequence?

Bighorn | 19 septembre 2019

Why would you lower winter tire pressures?

jrweiss98020 | 20 septembre 2019

Old wisdom (50s & 60s?) was that lower tire pressure gave a larger contact patch and better traction on snow. The concept may be good for off-roaders going through mud, but not a good permanent solution on the road or at higher speeds.

Bighorn | 20 septembre 2019

You want narrow, firm tires to cut through the snow to the pavement. Wide and soft are like snow shoes. Opposite of mud and sand approach.