Forums

Reverse lights on late March 2018 Model S

Reverse lights on late March 2018 Model S

Hi,
Are there conclusions/fixes for poor reverse lighting on late March 2018 Model S? I've looked at the issue pretty carefully, and what I see is that the reverse lighting is shining too high, so an 8 ft or so area on the ground just behind the car is totally dark, no matter what adjustments I make to the display settings. This make the reverse lighting much less useful; the very area you really need to see, you cannot see at all... as I've seen others say, I have to depress the brake pedal a bit, to turn on brake lights, so I can see that key area. I have a service appointment scheduled, but am wondering what they can/will do to help.
Thanks.

Renzo | 10 septembre 2019

the 2013 model has license plate lights that you can swap. I changed mine to LED ones from abstract ocean and they are great! they light up the rear camera very good when in reverse at night, no need to mess with reverse lighting!

TeslaTap.com | 10 septembre 2019

@Renzo - The refresh changed the license plate incandescent lights to LEDs. They are not easily swappable anymore. That said, I've not noticed much if any difference between my 2013 S (replaced with brighter LED license plate illumination), and my 2016 S that has the LEDs already installed.

@johnalan - You might have someone confirm that all the LEDs lite up properly when reversing. If you're in Europe, I think one is reserved as a rear fog light (which is totally strange to us USA folk). That means you'll only get 1/2 the rear illumination.

johnalan.gibby | 10 septembre 2019

They light up and they are bright. But they don't point downward; the light goes straight out. If a person stands behind the car, you can see their body fine (maybe not their feet :)). As I said, you cannot see the ground, between the back bumper going back about 8 ft. It's clearly b/c the lenses, or the tilt of the light units, doesn't direct the light downward any. The light goes straight out from the back of the car, and takes a few feet b4 it illuminates the ground. There IS ENOUGH light. It's just not directed to where it needs to be.

TeslaTap.com | 10 septembre 2019

@johnalan - Did you look at the license plate LEDs? These point downward. If you have a very thick license plate frame, perhaps it's blocking this light?

johnalan.gibby | 10 septembre 2019

I’m checking more. Maybe if I turn display brightness all the way up, view is adequate. Will update this when I’m sure.

johnalan.gibby | 14 septembre 2019

FYI Here’s the response I received from Tesla Mobile Service: “At this time it looks like the engineers are aware of the issue but are still working on a solution. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are cancelling your mobile appointment as this is not related to a hardware issue. As soon as a solution is available Tesla will send it with a firmware fix. Best, Tesla Mobile Service Atlanta.”

johnalan.gibby | 14 septembre 2019

FYI Here’s the response I received from Tesla Mobile Service: “At this time it looks like the engineers are aware of the issue but are still working on a solution. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are cancelling your mobile appointment as this is not related to a hardware issue. As soon as a solution is available Tesla will send it with a firmware fix. Best, Tesla Mobile Service Atlanta.”