Forums

Why we don't have an interior refresh

Why we don't have an interior refresh

Model S is going on 8 years with essentially the same interior design. I'll submit that the reason Tesla has not refreshed the interior is that their redesign presumes FSD, and can't be released until FSD is ready. I bet Franz has penned a beautiful new interior at Elon's direction that literally isn't compatible with a steering wheel.

Remember when the Model 3 was revealed, and Elon tweeted "that's not the real steering system," and then it was the real steering system? Then for months after it was released, an unprecedented number of cars went to employees, who were (I'm guessing) beta testing early FSD (under NDAs) until Elon was forced to concede FSD was not ready. FSD has been less than a year away for at least three or four years now, so it would make sense that they would plan a revolutionary interior design to go along with it. They wanted to do this with the Model 3, but were forced to punt. By comparison, holding up a Model S interior refresh is comparatively easy.

Just speculation of course, what do you guys think?

Anthony J. Parisio | 9 octobre 2019

With respect, I disagree. I think Tesla is redesigning the S and X. The three motor prototype in Germany is proof they are hard at work. However when they will decide to spend the money to retool for the new model is anyone's guess. My bet it could be as much as two years away. I think delivering the Y will help pay for the retooling.

Darthamerica | 9 octobre 2019

Logical thoughts. Not saying it’s true, I don’t know, but It could be. However I think it’s clear based on how smart summon is doing, we still have a way to go before FSD. And since Elon has talked about wanting to do Nurburgring, a more human driver focused cockpit would be needed in a new Model S Performance version. Triple digit speeds will need information in an instrument cluster in view of the driver. A steering wheel with better grip and car controls. An improved front seat with better lateral support. FSD optimizations and racing optimizations are competing priorities.

EVRider | 9 octobre 2019

I think any redesign based on FSD will be focused on the Model 3. Tesla might redesign the S/X, but I think that’s a lower priority for them now than it was when they talked about the redesign previously.

bp | 9 octobre 2019

Unlike the other manufacturers, Tesla introduces model changes as soon as they are ready - not on in a "model year" annual cycle.

To avoid depressing sales - Tesla usually doesn't announce these changes far in advance, often quickly introducing the changes, which then has an impact rippling through all of the orders currently in process and causing frustration among owners who had just purchased vehicles before the change.

Most of the time, these changes are a surprise when they are announced. Rapid introduction of AP2 several years ago was unexpected in the Tesla community.

It seems highly likely Tesla is working on improved designs for both the S & X, likely a combination of increased manufacturing efficiency (possibly to allow both vehicles to be built on the same line) and to refresh the features to be more competitive, and better fit a vehicle operating under FSD.

Musk indicated a few months ago that the refreshing S/X wasn't a priority - and that's probably true for this year. Tesla doesn't want to discourage S/X sales this year. But that doesn't mean Tesla isn't working on S/X improvements - it isn't a matter of "is Tesla going to upgrade S/X" - it's really "when will Tesla introduce those changes".

My guess - we will see some major changes to S/X sometime next year: V3 supercharging, new million mile battery packs, 400+ mile range, motor improvements/changes, landscape console display (like the 3, better oriented for video streaming), interior improvements, ...

It's notable that Elon announced the Model S Plaid a year + out. I think with legitimate competitors now, Tesla will adopt some traditional and proven marketing strategies for big feature updates. For me, not knowing what is on the roadmap for Model S gave me pause at the thought of upgrading. Now that I know a new one is coming in a year, I am more likely to wait for it to see what it has to offer instead of going to another manufacturers car. I think it gives Tesla more flexibility with pricing changes as well.

But hopefully not that single Model 3 display! Please nooooooo!

Daisy the Road ... | 9 octobre 2019

They have been upgrading the interior much like the rest of the vehicle. Better seats, new finishes, subtle changes in the trim. I'm totally fine with that. I dont see anything wrong that needs to be fixed.

At $100k+ the interior quality isn't where it needs to be. We also have an S Class and the difference is striking. Tesla can still keep things minimalist and upgrade the materials, fit and finish.

Daisy the Road ... | 9 octobre 2019

I may be an outlier. My other favorite vehicle is my Mercedes G. The G was incrementally improved for decades starting in 1979, until they finally released a new version in 2019. The initially Spartan interior has been slowly upgraded over the years, but some of the added plush took way from the interior room and utility. They are selling in the $130k range these days, both before and after the new model.

dtodd16 | 9 octobre 2019

We need and interior and exterior refresh, and soon. The 2020's will be out in 2.5 months and that will make 9 years of the original design. Now granted, the S is still a beautiful design, and the wonderful and continuous software upgrades over the years have been fantastic like nothing ever in the auto industry, but aesthetically it's beyond the point of being stale. We need something new to regenerate the buzz. All car manufacturers tweak their models every 2 years or so, and come out with new redesigns about every 5 to 6 years years. They do this to keep up with the latest technologies (Tesla has this covered), but also to stir up new excitement. I mentioned this in a post a while ago and was told I was only interested in looks and that basically I needed to get my priorities straight. Well, for most of us, a vehicle is the second most expensive purchase we will ever make in our lives. For me, that is something that you should get excited about. If the Plaid is simply going to be a more powerful version of the S with flared fenders and bigger tires, it won't appeal to me. If it has a new battery system, faster charging and more range, great, but it will still be on a nine or ten year old car. I've read here that Tesla doesn't have the resources to design a new S, they can't improve on the looks and the drag coefficient, and they need to focus on the Y, the pick up, and so on. Maybe so, but it's a shame, because you can't stand still in the auto industry, and that doesn't just apply to technology. I can only speak for myself, but I have been ready, willing and able to upgrade to a new S for over a year, but I won't until version 2.0 comes out, and then I'll be first in line.
Regarding build quality and materials. I have owned many premium cars from Cadillacs and Lincolns back in the day, to Jaguars, Lexus's, and Mercedes including an S600, a CL600 (both V-12'S), an SL550 and two SL63 AMG'S. Some of these were high end models of the high end cars. I think I'm qualified to compare, and probably more so than most. What a bunch of BS to hold these models in such high esteem in comparison to Tesla. Yes, the top line models have many more bells and whistles, but their quality is no better than my Tesla. They break plenty! You get to know their service departments intimately, and they sure aren't shy about charging. For instance, at one time the entire leather dash in my S600 had to be replaced because a seam was opening up - thank God it was under warranty or it would have been thousands. While they were working on it, they called me and said that they noticed my back two tires were getting a little low on tread, but they could replace them while they had the car for $1100.00 - 2 tires! Teslas are on the sparse side in the interior, but that's by design. Minimalism is futuristic. If they were draped with pleated leather, wood and chrome, they wouldn't be the space ships that they are. I've driven plenty of the entry and mid level "luxury" cars over the years (usually as loaners while getting service), and my take was often, how cheap, or this is supposed to be a Mercedes? I test drove a BMW once and the salesman had to prove to me that the seats were leather. They were so hard and stiff - I guess that was supposed to make it sporty. My S is an early 2016, and I have never had a problem with fit, finish, squeaks or rattles. It is by far the most problem free car I have ever owned, not to mention practically maintenance free. So when I read others raving about the quality of the competition, I wonder what planet are they living on?
Sorry for the long post, but that's my two cents.

Uncle Paul | 9 octobre 2019

Imagine that Tesla will refresh that interior when they feel doing so will create increased sales in ammounts necessary to cover the additional costs of doing so.

There have already been countless updates to the Model S interior. First no center console, then yacht flooring, then center console. Several generations of seating have been released. Leather, Vinyl, Cloth, perforated, active cooling, heated seats, vegan seating, and lots of different colors have been rolled out and retired.

Several different dash wood accent, brushed and dark metallic trim, motorized headrest adjusters, etc.

7 seat packages have come and gone (and may be coming again with plaid. Seat bolstering has been changed, even accent seating stitching has been released and retired.

I notice that while other manufacturers have released interior refreshed one after the other, basicly nothing has changed much over the past 25 years. They may announce big changes, but really they are just making changes to make changes. Little improvement for all the $ wasted.

NV4NV | 9 octobre 2019

>>We need and interior and exterior refresh, and soon.<< I'm with dtodd16 on this one.

Model S sales September 2016 = 4,350
Model S sales September 2017 = 4,860
Model S sales September 2018 = 3,750
Model S sales September 2019 = 1,100

I have not yet replaced my 2015 Model S primarily because the current Model S has almost the same interior. The lack of a refresh is holding back my purchase of a replacement, and judging from the most recent sales, I am not the only one.

Captain_Zap | 9 octobre 2019

How about a refresh with no console! I won't replace my car because I do not want to lose that space that disappeared with the last refresh.

dsteal | 9 octobre 2019

I think it's clear that Model S sales are being cannibalized by Model 3. If I was buying a Tesla today, it would be hard to justify the premium for the MS. I wouldn't trade my now depreciated MS for a M3 which is around the same price. But would I pay 2x for the MS? Nope.

avesraggiana | 9 octobre 2019

Overhead grab handles, and door pockets. Overhead grab handles and door pockets. Overhead grab handles and door pockets...

The ability to control driving functionality from the steering wheel. A new screen for the "instrument cluster". The current screen scratches too easy and is dull.

SbMD | 9 octobre 2019

Captain_Zap | October 9, 2019
How about a refresh with no console! I won't replace my car because I do not want to lose that space that disappeared with the last refresh.

Amen, @CZ.

Madatgascar | 10 octobre 2019

Dear Franz,

It’s not you, it’s me. I’ve got the seven year itch. Don’t get me wrong, your design is lovely... I just feel like I want to try something ...different... now.

(Cough) Door pockets

avesraggiana | 10 octobre 2019

+1 @ Madatgascar.

thranx | 10 octobre 2019

+1 Madatgascar & avesraggiana. A few practical additions and some upgraded interior options would be a start.

But if they go to the single screen of the model 3, I reckon I'm on my last S.

Pungoteague_Dave | 10 octobre 2019

@Darthamerica "At $100k+ the interior quality isn't where it needs to be. "

Agreed, but they aren't $100k cars anymore unless you really try. My new X was about $91k. The days of $120K X & S models is over. I actually feel better about the interior in our new X given the more "reasonable" pricing. The most you can now spend on a MS, fully optioned, is about $108k. A fully-equipped long range MS with FSD is now only about $87k. A nicely equipped long range MX with FSD can be had for under $91k. Given the tech and expensive windshield and falcon wing doors, pretty exotic stuff for the money.

Darthamerica | 10 octobre 2019

@P_Dave I agree the new price is much better, I also understand that the earlier crazy pricing was to help Tesla stay profitable enough to survive. However at close to $100K it's still not in line with competing cars for interior quality and luxury. Some of this is related to needing to keep weight down of course. I'm just hoping that with better longer ranged batteries Tesla can give more attention to fit, finish, durability and luxury accoutrements. The rattles must absolutely go! A little more sound deadening would enhance the car as well. Especially if the new suspension is as good as @2015P90DI says.

Madatgascar | 10 octobre 2019

S is definitely a much better car now than it was just a year ago, for a lower price. Should be quite compelling, but S sales continue to decline. I think a big reason is that everyone is acclimated to the standard auto industry expectation of refresh cycles, and nobody wants to buy one of the last cars before the big change is announced. I’m certainly in that camp. My 2014 P85 is still serving me well, the only thing that gets me to buy a new one is a new interior, with at least the basic stuff the Model 3 has: door pockets, adjustable seat belt tensioners, rear seat fold down center console, coat hooks, linear diffusers, dual phone chargers, etc. Some extra stuff would be expected - I would like to see a couple of driver’s side glove compartments, maybe a HUD. The center armrest should get rid of the plasticky bit where the USB ports are and use more satisfying materials in the high touch areas.

Yodrak. | 11 octobre 2019

"S sales continue to decline. I think a big reason is that everyone is acclimated to the standard auto industry expectation of refresh cycles, and nobody wants to buy one of the last cars before the big change is announced."

I guess I'm something of a contrarian, but I think that Model S sales are declining because, even though today one gets more for less money than ever before, the Model S is still at a price point where many people will buy a Model 3 rather than stretch their budget for an S. (And sales of all brands and models at the Model S price point are declining.)

Also, unlike many posters, I can do without things like door pockets and coat hooks. Never did use coat hooks, and when I cleaned out the door pockets of the ICEV I sold when I got the Model S all I found was out-of-date stuff that reminded me of the Hotel California - once the stuff went in, it never left. My clutter-free Model S is so much nicer.

I do agree with most posters that any refresh should not replace the dual screens with a Model 3 type single screen.

TeslaTap.com | 11 octobre 2019

@avesraggiana "Overhead grab handles, and door pockets."

Some love them, I'm in the camp that dislikes them. Door pockets are just trash collectors - almost every car I've been in that has door pockets is stuffed with trash and crap. It makes the car look cheap.

Not a fan of grab handles either - much rather have a clean design. Yes, I know many cars include them, but just because they have them doesn't make them look good. I never needed them, but I understand some do need/want them. Not a huge deal to me if they are unobtrusive, but given the choice, I'd rather not have them at all.

That's the difficulty with design - some buyers think items are must-have because they are in a $15K Yaris, while others buy the design because it doesn't have all the ugly junk all over the interior. There really is no easy way to satisfy everyone. I hope Tesla doesn't feel they have to make an ugly interior to duplicate other car makers. I find many luxury cars (MB, BMW, Lexus) stuffed with so much crap. 20 cupholders, bins everywhere, 6 or more grab bars, etc.

Darthamerica | 11 octobre 2019

I've learned to live without grab handles and pockets. Not saying they aren't useful but I no longer think about it.

carlk | 11 octobre 2019

@Captain_Zap +1. The flat floor is the best feature I like in my 2014 P85+. Tesla should have kept it just as an option.

Madatgascar | 11 octobre 2019

Speaking of flat floors, I love the way the rear seat folds completely flat in Model 3. You can sleep back there. Model S has a couple inch step and then the folded seat back slopes up. Not so comfy.

I agree with Yodrak that the 3 is cannibalizing the S, but if that’s the only explanation, the steep drop would have come sooner, coinciding with the release of the 3. Sales dropped much more after leaks of an S refresh came out (Electrek article, Plaid drivetrain, etc.)

I started wondering why an interior refresh was taking so long, and then it hit me - they designed one for FSD, and can’t release it until FSD is ready. Maybe it isn’t as obvious as the steering wheel completely removed... maybe the steering wheel retracts for FSD, or they have some other innovative system in mind. For a company that innovates as quickly as Tesla does, it’s odd the interior has had only superficial changes over 8 years.

Madatgascar | 11 octobre 2019

Also, to the clutter comments - I’m with you, but I have stuff to carry. Glasses, sunglasses, tissue, card keys, mints, transponders - who doesn’t carry some of this stuff?

That’s why I asked for driver’s side glove compartments. You could stow all your stuff away and nobody would ever be able to tell the difference. They have totally wiped out every other use for that surface - no trunk latches, knobs, vents, or whatever - might as well realize a functional dividend. This would allow the center console to go away.

raffidesigns | 12 octobre 2019

I had a thought. If you look at the roadster's interior, it also has the Portrait screen Vs the Model 3. Perhaps the interior refresh for Model S/X will look more similar to the roadster then the 3?

thranx | 12 octobre 2019

"Not a fan of grab handles either - much rather have a clean design."

I'm 72 and I could use a grab handle. My wife will not ride in our model S because of the difficulty of getting in and out. A passenger-side grab handle would alleviate her difficulty considerably.

Make it an option, but offer it.

Mi75d | 13 octobre 2019

There's no Model S/X refresh because Tesla is not a car company, and Musk is not a car company CE0. It's the flip side of the Elon coin. We are all stuck with both sides, the radical, innovative car we love and the lack of refreshed design that we hate.

A traditional car company lead by a traditional CEO would NEVER have come up with the Model S. I worked for 2 of the original "Big Three" and I know whereof I speak. Don't expect traditional car company behavior from either Tesla or Musk.

Don't forget, Elon has said that once FSD is achieved, Tesla won't even sell cars to individuals. By the time FSD is achieved, no one will want to buy a car. Do you care what model car your last taxi was? Your last Uber? That's his plan, and don't forget it.

jordanrichard | 13 octobre 2019

“Refresh” is relative. To people who have never seen or been in a MS, the interior is new and futuristic. Only amongst Tesla owners might there be some desire for a new interior. To this day, I still have people thinking my car is brand new when in fact it was made over 5 1/2 years ago. As Mi75d essentially pointed out, it is only traditional car companies that do a completed redesign of their cars, just to keep the interest going.
If you think about it, there have been changes to the Model S since 2012. The original nose cone had an indentation where the T is located. This made it look like the bumper was sticking out. Then they “brought” that section of the nose cone forward, giving it a more rounded look.

In 2016 they put a new facia on the front and back ends, made the rockers panels color match the body color.

Then I think it was sometime in 2018 or perhaps it was earlier this year, they darkened the aluminum trim along the dashpad and the center screen surround.

jwhite260 | 14 octobre 2019

I just ordered a 2020 Model S at the Tesla dealer. I was told on the tan interior they are changing the carpet color to black due to a lot of complaints on how dirty the tan color carpet gets. I was also told they are updating the wood to look higher end for the price point of the car.

dtodd16 | 14 octobre 2019

Mi75, no, I don't care what model my last taxi was, but we are so far from that scenario, your statement is ridiculous. This is 2019, and I do car about what my next car looks like. I take Ubers all the time, and while much better than cabs, I still hate them. Americans love their freedom and we love to drive. That won't change in our lifetime. I'm sure Elon is a genious, but I'd bet that he'd be the first to admit that he makes plenty of mistakes. So you don't need to tell us, "Don't forget, Elon has said ..." and, "That's his plan, and don't forget it". That's just plain creepy.

avesraggiana | 14 octobre 2019

@jwhite260. That’s like Tesla saying that they eliminated the sunroof because opening let in too much air.

Both the loss of the tan carpet and the sunroof are just two examples of Tesla pennypinching.

jordanrichard | 15 octobre 2019

jwhite260, unless you asked for a delivery date of Jan 1, 2020, your car will be a 2019. Tesla does not go by model years.

I once had a loaner with the tan carpet and while it looked great, my first thought was how the hell are you going to keep this clean. Of course since everyone seems to immediately run out and buy rubber "all weather" mats to protect the carpet, their feet would never get the carpets dirt anyways.

RAR | 15 octobre 2019

@jordanrichard and @jwhite260 - My 2017 S90D was delivered on December 30, 2016. US government regulations require the manufacturer to identify a model year, but it does not necessarily have to correspond to the calendar.

jordanrichard | 15 octobre 2019

RAR, while I don’t have an explanation why presumably your paperwork states it as a 2017, but there is clearly a difference between 2 days to the next year and today which is 2 and months away from 2020 and Tesla doesn’t play the model year game.

Darthamerica | 15 octobre 2019

Innovation is cool but Tesla is going to have to start being more realistic at some point. FSD as in level 5 is a long long time away. Even with a breakthrough in the near future legislation will slow things down. So let's say near 2030 by a miracle FSD is ready. Are we supposed to keep effectively buying the same car from a styling perspective? I think that would be a bad strategy with competitors in the picture. Tesla needs to start thinking about how to retain customers if they want to remain viable in the high end market. Model S and Model X owners paying North of $80K will expect their cars to be comparable to things on the traditional auto roadmap. Fart apps and Easter eggs aren't going to cut it much longer. Innovation is good but over promising and abandoning proven best practices isn't a good idea taken to extremes.

Mathew98 | 15 octobre 2019

Tesla don't have to worry about losing customers to a company charging twice the price and getting half the functionalities for sure. So let the big boys at VW continue to over promise and under deliver.

People with money to burn and settle for a leather couch on wheels aren't Tesla's target customers anyway. Better luck next time!

Mi75d | 15 octobre 2019

dtodd16 |
"Mi75, no, I don't care what model my last taxi was, but we are so far from that scenario, your statement is ridiculous. This is 2019, and I do car about what my next car looks like."

Dude, this is what I'm trying to tell you. As long as Tesla is run by Elon Musk, it will be run according to HIS perspective - FSD is coming soon, Tesla eventually won't even sell personal cars, everyone will use autonomous robotaxis, etc. Elon Musk doesn't care about YOUR perspective, mired in the past. He doesn't care if you think his perspective is ridiculous.

If you think about what I've said, you'll understand a lot about Tesla that puzzles experienced automotive journalists. Why doesn't Tesla do a better job with fit and finish? Nobody will care if there are panel gaps on their autonomous taxi. Why doesn't Tesla do a better job with maintenance and service? Nobody using robotaxis will care how they're serviced. Why doesn't Tesla refresh their car models, like EVERY other auto maker? Pretty soon, FSD will come, nobody will buy their own cars, and all you'll care about is whether or not your Tesla robotaxi was on time and clean. See what I mean? Sales, service, refreshed interiors - they all belong to the dead past of the ICE cars. Can you even imagine what a "refreshed interior" would look like on a Model 3? They're so minimalist, there's nothing to change other than colors and fabrics.

Personally, I agree with you. I doubt true FSD will be achieved in the next three years, if ever. If there's no FSD, then there's no Tesla fleet of autonomous robotaxis. We're all hoping that Elon gets the message, because 5 years from now, there will be millions of Teslas on the road, they won't be fully autonomous, and we're all going to have older cars with 100K+ miles, and there had better be decent service and inexpensive after market parts. I live in Michigan, and I can tell you that the roads here beat the hell out of cars, my Model S included.

Darthamerica | 15 octobre 2019

Tesla is a publicly owned company. They have a fiduciary duty to make profit. There are activist investors that can cause havoc with lofty plans they care little about. Moreover, most cars are like commodities with razor thin margins. This is a tightrope... You've gotta win the public. FSD will do that when it comes. Until then people want better service, build quality and periodic refresh. Tesla's priority needs to be refreshing and getting out of production hell while simultaneously getting to level 3-->5 autonomy before someone else does.

NKYTA | 15 octobre 2019

“Tesla is a publicly owned company.”

VW, owner of The Porsche “brand” is a publicly owned company, that is happily killing people. Understand this,

VW is killing people. They suck.

30% margins for S And X are real. Even if %15 is there for the 3, bye, bye.

The “public” has already spoken. They just want Model 3. They want P3 to beat Porsche, which. P3 already does, they want y to be safer than a mini-van, they want S to win on the street and not to suck toxic fumes.

Plaid will beat Porsche at the ‘Ring, and even if they don’t go that way, Roadster II, is a shoe in.

Talk to the hand about multiple launches 0-60 in 1.9s. Oh, battery problem. Not.

bp | 16 octobre 2019

If the latest rumors are correct and Tesla could start producing Model Y in Q1 next year - that's where Tesla should be focusing their resources - getting a lower priced SUV to market - competing in what is the hottest market segment today.

Still believe we'll see changes for S/X later in 2020 - especially related to battery, motor and charging. And, we're also likely going to see dashboard/console changes, which likely will include a landscape display and possibly dropping the dashboard.

It's not surprising S/X sales are down - many people who purchased S/X did so because they were the only long range EVs on the market, and their S/X purchase was (by far) their most expensive purchase ever. There is still a market for S/X - but it will always be smaller than 3/Y - and for Tesla to be successful long run, will likely need to simplify S/X manufacturing, like the significant overlap between 3/Y is allowing Tesla to bring Y to the market faster than anyone expected.

Mathew98 | 16 octobre 2019

Ahem, the hottest segment is not CUV, it's the pickup truck...

jordanrichard | 16 octobre 2019

Mathew is correct, at least here in the U.S. The F150 has been the number one selling vehicle for the passed 40 years. Now if you were dive into that a little bit, it is seriously misleading. A very large majority of those F150s are work trucks and the respective businesses get to write them off as expenses for the business.

I think if you looked at how many F150s or pick up trucks in general were bought by non business owners, it would tell a completely different story.

There was a time that Ford laid claim to having the highest selling sedan, the Taurus. The number two selling sedan was the Honda Accord, but Honda laid claim to having the most popular car in America. they were both right. The only reason Ford was able to sell so many Taurus's was because of fleet sales to both federal and local governments and the rental car sales. Honda only sold to private individuals.
My point is, don't take total sales, as presented by the car companies, as a metric of what people are really buying.

Madatgascar | 17 octobre 2019

I’ll disagree with Mi75d to some extent. If the future were all about robotaxis, Tesla would not be working so hard to build its racing abilities, as Darthamerica noted in the third post above. Robotaxis won’t need to pull those g’s.

Tesla is trying to build a better can IN EVERY RESPECT. They need to compete in every category. When S was the only compelling EV available, it was OK to skimp on a few frills. We understood 2012 Tesla could not afford any frills. The minimalist design clicked with almost all of us. But it’s no longer OK not to have (for example) adjustable seat belt tensioners in the flagship car while the no-frills Model 3 has them.

Nobody is asking for poofy pleated leather, curtains, or a humidor. Minimalism is great. Model 3 is both more minimalist and more functional than Model S. Fix it.

carlk | 17 octobre 2019

The new plaid model will be coming next summer. It's a big question whether that will be accommodated with refreshed exterior/interior for the entire line. I'd put money on there will be minor exterior tweaks and major interior redesign. Note that the Model 3 was designed with robot taxi in mind so there is no conflict with that. The new S interior, if there is one, will still be minimalist and will still be either loved or hated for sure.

dtodd16 | 22 octobre 2019

Tesla chief designer Franz von Holzhausen recently gave an interview on a Ride the Lightning podcast. When asked when S and X owners can expect the next evolution of interior treatment, he said "yep" and gave a loud sigh. It wasn't a yes or no question and by answering yep he simply was agreeing that S and X owners are indeed waiting for a new interior (and for me the exterior is equally important). The big spontaneous sigh obviously wasn't scripted and can only indicate frustration. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

Pages