Forums

Will be an discount on FSD again?

Will be an discount on FSD again?

I noticed that there’s gonna be a price hike on FSD on Nov 1, according to Elon’s tweet. Should I wait for a discount like the way they had back in March or that’s never gonna happen again? I kinda worry about this increases! So would that be better for me to buy it before Nov?

JAD | 17 octobre 2019

He has said the price will continually go up as FSD features are released. Things can change, but it is more likely the price will rise further, not fall. If it falls much, it would be there was a problem.

PteRoy | 17 octobre 2019

I’m waiting and hoping that they will offer a monthly plan. Would allow me to try it but also be able to afford it based on what is currently available with the feature. Then as more features get added they could just up the monthly price or maybe you could keep the features you have and keep the price. Just my thought. $7000 is a lot of money for something that isn’t here yet.

amirhnaimi | 17 octobre 2019

I got my car 2 weeks ago, and i fell in love with it the moment I started to driving it! But the thing that bothers me a little is, lack of lane changing. Idk if all these 6k worth to pay ofr just lane changing?

Maxxer | 17 octobre 2019

FSD won’t be street legal in Canada legislation wise for the next 10 years

PteRoy | 17 octobre 2019

Same problem as you. I can’t justify the money for what features are available now, and I have no clue when these other features will even be available in my country.

thedrisin | 17 octobre 2019

Wait. After people rush to purchase before the price hike and the demand subsequently decreases afterwards, there will be another "sale".

travismccracken11 | 17 octobre 2019

Definitely wait. The vast majority of recent purchases are autopilot only...there’s too much money to gain on Tesla’s end to not offer a discount to upgrade. Not to mention all the free data they’d gain if we all had FSD.

vmulla | 17 octobre 2019

@travismccracken11,
That's an interesting perspective.

Just for discussion, that doesn't help the appreciating asset narrative. So, why would Tesla offer a discount?

amirhnaimi | 17 octobre 2019

If it hikes to $7k and in future they want to put it on sale, how much you guys would estimate the discount would be? If it’s going to be $5k, I rather buy it now and not waiting so long for the discount/sale!

thedrisin | 17 octobre 2019

@vmulla. "appreciating asset"
Price has been coming down on the Model 3, not increasing. As the number of previously owned vehicles increases, resale value will also decrease. Level 4/5 automation is many years away, cruise control is still beta. There will be a discount on FSD when orders wane.

leo33 | 17 octobre 2019

No one really knows if there will be a future discount, or how much it would be. People on this forum have no special knowledge. All we know is what Musk says, and what Tesla has done in the past.

jamilworm | 17 octobre 2019

@travismccracken11 - You are right there is a lot of money to be gained by people who haven't (yet) bought FSD. But discounting it enough to make people buy now is not necessarily the best way to make that money. As they release more FSD features then it will become more desirable, and so people will be willing to pay more for the feature. Once the car can literally drive itself without human supervision I think people would easily pay over $10k for the feature. So really Tesla will make MORE money if people wait to buy until the package is so good that they will pay more for it. Selling FSD to everybody now for a huge discount doesn't make sense (unless they were in urgent need of cash).

howard | 17 octobre 2019

thedrisin | October 17, 2019
Wait. After people rush to purchase before the price hike and the demand subsequently decreases afterwards, there will be another "sale".

+1 I bought at 2k and still have nothing to show for it. Who knows when there will be. The price is just a game at this point. Like Vegas, the house always wins.

Patronus | 17 octobre 2019

So the current FSD Capability package is more than just the promise of FSD someday. Today it offers: Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark & Summon

Coming later this year are: Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs & Automatic driving on city streets.

Yes, it is expensive, but there are tangible benefits available the day you order it.

beaver | 18 octobre 2019

Warning!
If you total your car like me (hit by another driver) then you are out your $3-6k for FSD. Geico valued EAP at $4.5k but no value for FSD. I am not going to make that mistake again: It’s attached to the VIN. I recommend waiting until full features are released.

EVRider | 18 octobre 2019

Nobody here knows if FSD will be discounted again in the future. I doubt even Elon knows. If you decide to wait it out, don’t complain later if the discount doesn’t happen.

Wanderer | 18 octobre 2019

Is there a difference in features in v10 for EAP vs. FSD?

vmulla | 18 octobre 2019

Wanderer | October 18, 2019
Is there a difference in features in v10 for EAP vs. FSD?
---
No

gballant4570 | 18 octobre 2019

travismccracken11, all Tesla cars feed data for FSD AI training regardless of FSD ownership. However, I do see that your first point could have merit - its an easy way to raise money when needed.

As for the OP's question.... no one here knows. There will be plenty of opinions. I did not initially buy FSD for a couple of reasons - I didn't want to push the price over the MD state tax rebate of $3k was the main one. I bought the fire sale price last March.

thedrisin, I just priced the exact Model 3 configuration I bought last year. In my case, when I figure in the tax credits/rebates, buying one today would be just a little more expensive for me than the price I paid a year ago. Tesla would receive less money however, but the money Tesla receives for each sale is not a factor driving the used car market, only the price a buyer pays will. Other factor enter in as swell - used luxury car prices are diving as plenty of late model hit the used car market from trade ins on Teslas, especially in Europe. Used Teslas are holding value quite well.

amirhnaimi | 18 octobre 2019

I was just hovering mouse over the features And I ACCIDENTALLY BOUGHT IT!!! there was no confirmation no nothing!!! What can I do now? Can I dispute it?

andy.connor.e | 18 octobre 2019

You were just hovering your mouse, and you made a purchase? False.

spuzzz123 | 18 octobre 2019

Maybe close your credit card account now before it posts

I swear to god I just hit a button and expected to ask me questions and stuff I did not expect the purchase going thru!

vmulla | 18 octobre 2019

amirhnaimi | October 18, 2019
I swear to god I just hit a button and expected to ask me questions and stuff I did not expect the purchase going thru!
----

I’ve been there. I reached customer service, it took me about 3 months for a refund to be issued.

OMG!!! Looks like I fell into the trap! :((( Why everything , except the car itself, about Tesla sucks? I had worst car buying experience, worst salesman, worst delivery, worst service and now worst website ever!

I love the car by all my heart but everything else sucks really bad! I took the car for service after two weeks being in line, and I took the car there they said we dont give loaners we give uber credits!! I never had such bad experinence with BMW and Benz!

Your authenticity has pretty much vanished with your last sentence.

Dont take me wrong! I wont go back to any other car than Tesla!!! I just talking about service and other related stuff such as this.

WhiteWi | 18 octobre 2019

Lol

I asked the technician can you update the firmware to V10 today? I can't do it myself because it has really bad wifi reception! his response was "your version is not that old you dont need an update!"

I asked the technician can you update the firmware to V10 today? I can't do it myself because it has really bad wifi reception! his response was "your version is not that old you dont need an update!"

The more you talk, the less i can take you seriously

WhiteWi | 18 octobre 2019

Hahaha Come, he is funny troll

95dawg | 18 octobre 2019

Doubt price will drop. As FSD moves up the automation levels, price will only increase until automation technology becomes commodified.

bjrosen | 18 octobre 2019

Tesla is raising prices across the board in an effort to get profitable, FSD is up by a K as is performance, SR+ is up 500 and black paint is up by 250. It's unlikely that there will be any price decreases anytime soon. It's possible that they will have an occasional sale on FSD especially if the number of takers drops significantly due to the price increase. Even if they do have a sale I'd bet that the sale price won't be less than $6K. If you think you want FSD then now is the time to buy it, is it worth $6K let alone $7K, honestly I don't think so, at least not now. Will it be worth it a year or two from now, hopefully.

vmulla | 18 octobre 2019

I was browsing the options on the car and made an accidental order. This was over a year ago, I was playing around boldly because I was expecting a place to enter my credit card number and confirmation message. I was charged the reservation fee because Tesla used the credit card on file. A few hours of waiting for the customer service was the price I paid for my mistake, also the apr on the credit card.
All will be well, you will have to wait a bit though.

@WW_spb just because I said I dont like their service, you judging me? FYI, it took 3 days for my email to get verified here! which is same email as my Tesla account.

tung1900 | 18 octobre 2019

Just looked into my magic 8 ball, it says buy it if u can afford it, don’t buy if u can’t .

dmastro | 18 octobre 2019

Maybe... unless there isn't... or is.

I'm holding out for now. I'm happy with EAP, and I'm not at all certain that FSD will be approved for use in the time I own the car. If it does, then I can decide what I want to do. I'd rather pay a little more later and know I'm going to receive a "product" than pay now for something I may never have.

Besides, once FSD is available, it will be an investment that I can make a return on by activating robo-taxi mode!

vmulla | 18 octobre 2019

If Tesla establishes a owner-to-owner rental service I'll be satisfied, robo-taxis can take their time. It makes sense for Tesla to put a restriction that only FSD cars can be shared amongst owners.

I'd be happy to leave my car at the airport so that another owner can use my car while I'm away, and it would be extra sweet if I can rent someone's Tesla wherever I land.

bjrosen | 18 octobre 2019

@dmastro, You're joking about the robotaxi thing aren't you or have you drunk Musk's Koolaid about that ridiculous robo taxi non-sense. Even if you assume that they achieve true Level 5 autonomous within the life time of this car, and I think the chances are minuscule, how could a robo taxi possible make enough to cover it's capital expense let alone make a profit? Uber driver's are lucky to make minimum wage, maybe in a few in dense cities they make a little more, and that includes tips. Nobody is going to tip a robot, with a human driver you think that he has a family at home that he has to feed so you tip him, but with a robo-taxi you aren't going to think that it has a bunch of little Roomba's running around that it has to take care of. The basic math on a Model 3 is that it has to make 60 cents (for depreciation, assuming $56K purchase price plus sales tax depreciated over 100,000 miles), plus 6 cent's per mile for electricity, at least 10 cents/mile for insurance and excise taxes, plus a few more cents for tires an other consumables, and you are at a minimum of 80/cents a mile just to break even. So even if in a world where you are competing with human Uber drivers there won't be much of a profit. Of course if robotaxi's were possible then they would be competing with each other, not humans, which will drive down prices to the point were there won't be any profit at all.

PteRoy | 18 octobre 2019

Sounds like an insurance nightmare.

vmulla | 18 octobre 2019

@PteRoy,
That's exactly why Tesla is working on the insurance angle as well.

bpaul | 18 octobre 2019

I'm sensing a big shift in attitude towards FSD purchases in this thread. There's a lot more skepticism nowadays, and deservedly so.

I also have to wonder if the release of Smart Summon has discouraged a lot of EAP owners for jumping into FSD. It certainly has for me. I mean it's really neat, but so far from functional FSD that I personally don't expect a true, full-self driving experience to happen with this vehicle. I'm less bullish on the tech now than before I saw Smart Summon.

Magic 8 Ball | 18 octobre 2019

@tung1900 True wisdom I learned from a fortune cookie.

dmastro | 18 octobre 2019

@bjrosen: Well, Elon Musk said I could basically run a fleet of robo-taxis and retire. But maybe I could bungee-cord a bunch of Roomba's and let people ride those... it would be a much lower initial capital outlay.

rhj | 18 octobre 2019

In the future a switch will be made to a 3.0 hardware feature set
When that happens 2020-2021 there will be three camps
Have 3.0
Paid for and waiting for 3.0 upgrade
Everyone else. The eight year wall, no new features, no more complaints,
just the end where the car is what it is.

vmulla | 18 octobre 2019

“ The eight year wall, no new features, no more complaints,
just the end where the car is what it is.” @rjh

Please explain

St☰v☰ | 18 octobre 2019

Personally, I would like to try before I buy. Right now, I can't think of any of the features or combination thereof that are worth $6k let alone $7k in a couple of weeks.Summon, that's a novelty at best, FSD, well, that's still not quit there yet. Though, honestly, I do use AP almost daily, but giving all driving over? Don't believe I can do that at this time. Hence, the Try before you Buy thought.

ncancilla81 | 18 octobre 2019

@vmulla
It’s called Turo. Lots of Tesla’s on there. I’ve probably had at least 10 people buy a Model 3 after renting mine.
https://turo.com/us/en-us/car-rental/san-jose-ca/tesla/model-3/491245

PhillyBob | 18 octobre 2019

@Beaver ... You should not have taken the offer from Geico .....You just need to prove that you are replacing the vehicle with a similar vehicle (same year, miles, options and condition). You have a contract with them ..... If you cashed the check, that is on you ..... IMO

Pages