Forums

FSD upgrade $3000

FSD upgrade $3000

A month or so ago I received an email saying that to upgrade to full self-driving would cost $3,000 and if I don't do it now the price is going up. I'm on an older version of hardware 2.0. I tried to find out if I give the $3,000 to Tesla will I get the hardware upgrade right away, no one could tell me if I can or can't get the hardware upgrade right away. The problem I have is full self-driving may not happen for quite a while if ever and I would like to have at least the Hardware upgrade now. Anybody have any info on atleast the hardware upgrade and when I can get it if I pay the $3,000?

2015P90DI | 19 octobre 2019

Simple answer is no. You'll get it if/when Tesla starts rolling out features that demand a hardware upgrade. As of now, that's probably still quite a ways off. FSD does however have some features coming that will not be available to AP or EAP owners, so hopefully there will be at least some benefit in the near future.

I just sold a car and the most popular question was "does it have FSD". So it's clearly a feature people want and didn't want to spend a fortune on after purchasing a used car. I was lucky and got in at $2,000 and easily recaptured that back in the sale of the car. At $3,000, it's still a bargain, based on what it should deliver at some point.

As of now, the upgraded hardware won't change the way your car functions, so you don't need it until there's a need for it, at which point, you'll be entitled to it. So don't let that sway your decision of now or later. Pay $3,000 now to be fully paid up or maybe pay $6,000 later because you waited. And for what, because they wouldn't give you the hardware that you don't need yet right now?

2015P90DI | 19 octobre 2019

Supposedly, pricing goes up 12 days from now on Nov 1st. $1,000 for FSD on a new car. Not sure what the upgrade cost will go to if you already have EAP. Was $6,000 before the price drop. At one point, they wanted $11,000 to upgrade one of my other cars that doesn't have AP at all. Right now it's $6,000. So the $1,000 penalty currently doesn't exist as that's the same price if you purchase it with the car as of today.

spineeric | 19 octobre 2019

If you received an email with the $3000 offer for FSD, you should see that offer listed in your My Tesla account. You pay for it there. If you pay the $3000, that amount will be withdrawn from your bank account immediately, and you will receive a receipt of your purchase just as quickly. You will then see FSD added to your account in My Tesla.

The only thing you can do right now with FSD is use Smart Summon. That feature is a very early glimpse of FSD. My thought is that Tesla will continue to improve and refine it, but until the Government and your state approve FSD, you will not be able to use it for much else than sorta impressing friends in parking lots.

2015P90DI | 20 octobre 2019

Smart summon is included with Enhanced Auto Pilot. If you're getting the option to upgrade to FSD for $3,000, then that should mean you have EAP already. So @spineeric's statement would be incorrect. For EAP owners, FSD currently offers nothing over what you already have. Again, due to change "soon" per EST (Elon Standard Time). But as of today, FSD has nothing more than EAP. To clarify, Smart Summon is included with EAP

If you don't have EAP, then FSD upgrade cost is $6,000 as I noted above.

dougk71 | 20 octobre 2019

Some early adopters of FSD paid $5,000 others $3,000. Often there is a penalty to buy a Tesla Feature since often random lower pricing is available later. If there is a full moon then the next Wednesday FSD will get a $2,000 discount or maybe a $1,000 increase. This price adjustment is done all the time by ICE dealerships and I'm unhappy to see Tesla use this dealership pricing especially since they were at the outset wanting to be the opposite of the car dealership experience. If you decide to get a FSD discount when there is a full moon then more power to you.

Bighorn | 20 octobre 2019

Correction:
EAP provides Summon but not Smart Summon, so there is a differentiator with V10 which is the rationale for the price hike.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/07/...

TranzNDance | 20 octobre 2019

I'd hold out on getting the hardware upgrade as long as possible so I could get the latest and greatest when the software is available. I don't know how often Tesla will upgrade hardware for FSD.

EVRider | 20 octobre 2019

@Bighorn: Smart Summon is definitely included in EAP, and that has been confirmed by owners with EAP who don’t have FSD. If the article says otherwise, it’s wrong.

Anthony J. Parisio | 20 octobre 2019

I talk to the friend at the service center. He is the head of this service department. He said he has a whole pallet of version three drive computers waiting to be installed. He is still hasn’t gotten the permission to start installing them. The hardware is coming shortly. Who will get them first He didn’t really know. But the hardware is one of the major incentives for upgrading to FSD. It seems it is almost here.

Hammonddave | 20 octobre 2019

2015P90DI I Hope you were honest and told the guy you sold your S to that FSD is NOT transferable to new owners of used cars.

Bill_75D | 20 octobre 2019

@Hammonddave - I have not heard that. What is your source of info?

Bighorn | 20 octobre 2019

@EVRider
There was a lot of mixed messaging on this point. It, in very small part, prompted me to do the FSD upgrade, so I had no way to confirm one way or the other. Good to know.

Anthony J. Parisio | 20 octobre 2019

Hammonddave,
Yes please explain how you know this. What is your source? I thought it was transferable.

And another incorrect statement! @hammonddave: FSD IS Transferable. Read the reports of what you're thinking of. Your scenario only applies to cars TESLA OWNS.

And thank you @evrider for correcting the other one.

TeslaTap.com | 20 octobre 2019

I agree. AP, EAP, and FSD all stay with the car for the life of the car. The one exception is those cars Tesla owns as 2015P90DI points out. Tesla can elect to remove or add it for used cars it owns and sells. Tesla does disclose what is included with those used cars it sells.

@Hammonddave - I think you may be confusing Lifetime Supercharging, as that is not transferable on newer that cars have it. Cars 2016 and older have transferable Lifetime Supercharging. There may be a few early 2017 cars that got this as well, but I don't have good data on it.

Yes, to me it's a bit of a "shady" tactic on Tesla's part to sell a car with Full Self Driving, then take it back on trade or lease end, remove the feature and charge the new owner for the same feature again. But, they own the car, so I guess that's their choice to do what they want with it. I guess it's not much different than California (and probably several other states) charging sales tax on used car sales when they already collected sales tax on the new car sale. At least some states give you only charge you tax based on the difference between the new car price and your trade in, which is fair. But, California doesn't do that. Full pop each time.

But otherwise, AP, EAP, FSD are all "options" listed on the window sticker (unless added later). They are part of the car, so if Tesla doesn't own the car, they can't remove the option. Would be the same as Tesla saying you can't sell the car with the 21" Turbine wheels it came with. Likewise, if Tesla owns the car, they have every right to swap out the 21" wheels and put 19" wheels on it before resale.

barrykmd | 20 octobre 2019

Don't buy vaporware.

I am almost positive that FSD was not transferable if you sold the car. Please show me where it says it is.

harry pippic | 20 octobre 2019

I purchased my 2018 model 100d with EAP thinking it was full autopilot. Presently the vehicle offers " NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT" , exits Interstates and turnpikes automatically, comes to me in parking lots upon the "summon" command.

How will "FSD" differ from my "EAP". Thanks ...

I purchased my 2018 model 100d with EAP thinking it was full autopilot. Presently the vehicle offers " NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT" , exits Interstates and turnpikes automatically, comes to me in parking lots upon the "summon" command.

How will "FSD" differ from my "EAP". Thanks ...

sorry for my double post. :-(

As of this moment... no one knows

TeslaTap.com | 20 octobre 2019

@Hammonddave "I am almost positive that FSD was not transferable if you sold the car. Please show me where it says it is."

It doesn't need to. The contract language would have to specifically state it is not transferable, and at least my contract doesn't have any statement about not being transferable. You might want to review your contract. Maybe you got a different contract than everyone else? I really think you are thinking of unlimited Supercharging, which does have some limits to transferring on some cars.

@harry - Double post happens to all of us one time or another :)

FSD over EAP adds the ability to not have the steering nag while driving. It can take needed corrective actions that today you need to be alert to (objects in the road, etc.). It will also understand traffic lights and signs and should be able to navigate from one location to another.

The first FSD versions are likely to have some limitations, such as some problem areas being geo-fenced so it either goes around it or lets you take over.