Forums

Charging

Charging

Any chance we could be able to select have car charged by 7am etc? So the batteries are warmed up before trip. We have found lately with our model 3 the brake regen is reduced till below 400km (499 km is max) on the extended range. It’s getting cold up here in Canada at night and my understanding is it’s reduced till the batteries are warmed up. What better way than selecting the time to finish charging. Batteries warm. Good to go.

Cheers

-TheJohn- | 19 octobre 2019

You can totally tell the car when to start charging so that it'll be topped up warm and ready for you to go.
It's on the same screen where you set the limit you wish it charged to and it's on the bottom of said screen.

bp | 19 octobre 2019

What the OP is asking for, which is totally reasonable, is the ability to set a desired departure time, so the car can charge and warm itself to be ready to go at that time. Setting the time to start charging isn’t as straightforward, as the human then has to do the math to work backwards based on a back-of-the-napkin charge rate. That also doesn’t get the climate going.

Patronus | 19 octobre 2019

The Stats app has a Smart Battery Prep function that achieves the same result.

Zeus140 | 20 octobre 2019

@bp poor human! The screen tells you how long the charging will take, so it is trivial to set it so that it will complete as desired. The software change to have the car figure this out seems hardly worth it IMHO.

dfellinger | 20 octobre 2019

Every day you would need to figure out how long it needs to charge depending on how much you drove and set it to start charging to finish say at 7am when you leave for work. That’s crazy talk guys. I know you like your Tesla’s but get a grip. How hard is it to have the app allow you to select a time you want the car to be ready at every day. The damn car drives itself. Geez.

Xerogas | 20 octobre 2019

@dfellinger: "How hard is it to have the app allow you to select a time you want the car to be ready at every day"
------
It’s not hard, the Śtats app already does it. Problem solved.

Pg3ibew | 20 octobre 2019

My Ford Fusion Energi is able to do it. You can actually set it up that every day, the car HEATS up at a different time. I dont see that option on my model 3

Xerogas | 20 octobre 2019

@Pg3ibew: "My Ford Fusion Energi is able to do it. You can actually set it up that every day, the car HEATS up at a different time. I dont see that option on my model 3"
------
You have to buy the Stats app, or wait for Tesla to implement it ;)

raffidesigns | 20 octobre 2019

There was a "leak" involving "smart Charging". Set the time you want to the car to finish. Ex: Please be 90% by 8AM.

The leak did not mention of it was part of the initial V10 release. With WInter coming for a few US states i would expect this feature to be released soon.

gballant4570 | 20 octobre 2019

I agree that this would be a good improvement for timed charging. However, in the meantime there is an easy enough fix that does not require recalculating the charging time required each day....

I just initiate a warming charge in the morning using the app. The only adjustment this requires is resetting your nightly limit when plugging in.