Forums

Long wheelbase model 3, could this replace the S???

Long wheelbase model 3, could this replace the S???

Noticed on Teslarati site today, a picture of a Chinese market long wheelbase model 3...and a link takes one to a side pic view...

Sort of looks like a slight smaller Model S...

I myself, love my S, not interested in the compact 3, but could embrace this stretched version of the 3(would need to see it first)...

But, could this be the replacement for the Model S???

Mathew98 | 29 octobre 2019

Optical illusion.

Even if it were true, a longer wheel base would be another trim level of the M3, not a replacement for MS, which is bigger and occupies a different market segment.

TranzNDance | 29 octobre 2019

Aesthetically, I would prefer a smaller S, not a bigger 3. The Model 3 is a good looking car in its own right. The S looks good all around whereas the back side of the 3 looks off.

TabascoGuy | 29 octobre 2019

I'm not sure where Teslarati got their info but it was bad info. Someone may have looked at the first picture in that article, which looks like is was taken with a fish eyed lens, and assumed it was a different version of the car. Either way, there's no such thing as a long wheelbase Model 3.

MySin_AZ | 29 octobre 2019

@ tabasco-the car is real, but, we still don't know who made it...it could be a prototype made by Tesla, or a custom shop could have mocked one up...I get its not a production version, perhaps yet...

TabascoGuy | 29 octobre 2019

@MySin_AZ, I agree. It would have to be a prototype, not a production version. That being said, go back to the article, the top picture looks stretched. The second picture, which is the same picture, looks like a regular Model 3.

jordanrichard | 30 octobre 2019

From my understanding, car companies do make long wheel base versions of existing models, but only for the Chinese/Asian market because being chauffeured is very common among the rich/wealthy.

TabascoGuy | 30 octobre 2019

Well, from the progress we've seen at GF3 so far, it certainly won't take them as long to put a second version into production compared to traditional time frames.

TabascoGuy | 30 octobre 2019

Back to OP's question. All of the cars made at GF3 are specifically for the Chinese market and won't be available to other markets. Sales of the Model S won't be affected.