Forums

Advise needed for Model S

Advise needed for Model S

I am looking to get a model S for my wife,and undecided between low miles '18 model S with 260 range (75D) at $59k and a brand new LR model S at 373 range.
A new S will set me back $80k. My wife wishes to get a new one with longer range due to her range anxiety. What you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

TabascoGuy | 29 octobre 2019

How many miles does she drive a day and how often wound her car be taken on long trips?

Darthamerica | 29 octobre 2019

If you have a normal commute, 260 miles will be just fine and you can save the money. If money is no object, get the new car. You’ll be happy either way.

Mathew98 | 29 octobre 2019

What do they say about a happy wife? Will the $20K break the bank or make you the husband of the year?

PS - Wives are irrational beings. Even a Leaf has enough range for daily commutes. But that's not what she asked for...

llim3306 | 29 octobre 2019

Thanks guys. She drives 30 each way to work and has access to charging at work. But twice a week or so she d drive the girls to practice, which may add to 120 miles round trip. I very much like to save the money and get a very nice '18 S, but very difficult to reason with her--you married guys know what I mean.

Id like to get her the car but money is a bit of issues as well............:(

Darthamerica | 29 octobre 2019

Most of the time, you will never use that range. This is because you’re going to charge in your garage. Assuming you have one! So you’re paying a premium for range that you will not use 99% of the time. You could take the savings by buying the less expensive car and still have enough money to put in your pocket or buy a nice gift like a vacation for your wife!

@Mathew98, amen. You are not kidding. They are certainly irrational.

TabascoGuy | 29 octobre 2019

If she can charge at work and at home, she's golden. 260 is plenty of range if you only had one of those options.

RatherBeBoarding | 29 octobre 2019

Depending on the 2018 S you are looking at, it definitely would be HW2.5 may be MCU1 and without unlimited free SC. To me free SC is overrated, I only use it maybe 10 times a year on road trips. But a new S will get you the improved range with more efficient front motor, HW3, MCU2, better air suspension and unlimited free SC. But value is so subjective so if you do not care then you can save some money.

nukequazar | 29 octobre 2019

I’d say it depends on if you’re installing a 220v connector at home where you will charge every single night. If so, the 2018 is fine. If not, I would go for the new one. Advertised range on a BEV is not the same as ICEV range. We can’t use 100% charge range daily or per charge. Depending on who you ask, for daily charging the range is anywhere from 40% to 80% of advertised range. A while back a Tesla battery expert said we should only charge to 70% daily and drive it down to 30%. That’s just 40% of advertised range which is 120 miles on a 300 mile max. At the other end, 80% (charging to 90%, driving down to 10%) is 260 miles out of 300 max range.

I charge at work, and it sounds great until you have to think about parking in those spots every day, especially since they fill up now that way more people have BEV’s.

And, of course, there are other advantages to buying new. New Raven features, full warranty, etc.

Actually the more I think about it, since your wife has already expressed range anxiety, I don’t think you have a choice. Go for the new one with better range plus all the other advantages. And FUSC!

TranzNDance | 29 octobre 2019

Hey, take ownership of your life choices. *Your* wives are "irrational", don't generalize it to all wives.

Bighorn | 29 octobre 2019

I'd get the new one.

barrykmd | 29 octobre 2019

Bighorn | October 29, 2019
I'd get the new one.

What? New wife?

Bighorn | 29 octobre 2019

That wasn't there!

@barrykmd - It might be a viable alternative, depending on the length of marriage. Just look at what cheater-in-chief did with all his failed marriages.

Ddowns2050 | 29 octobre 2019

You can never have too much range. Especially in cold weather. Plus new car gets free supercharging. I would get the new one without question.

Wilber | 29 octobre 2019

I dont think you can assume that the 2018 car with low miles doesnt have some kind of problem. Even buying a used MS from Tesla can end up being a headache if if has some kind of deficiency not covered by warranty. As me how i know this! Go with the new one!

I typed a wrong number in a range estimate up there, corrected here...

"Depending on who you ask, for daily charging the range is anywhere from 40% to 80% of advertised range. A while back a Tesla battery expert said we should only charge to 70% daily and drive it down to 30%. That’s just 40% of advertised range which is 120 miles on a 300 mile max. At the other end, 80% (charging to 90%, driving down to 10%) is 240 miles out of 300 max range."

But actually I should have made the calcs based on your 260 mile 75D range which would put your daily driving range between 104 and 208 miles at the high end with severe range anxiety for the wife going down to 10%, which might not be good after spending $60k on a car.

Remember, advertised ranges are really only for road trips not for daily driving, which relies more on nightly charging than is clear when shopping the specs.

Bottom line, for the extra $20k, you'd be getting a lot more car plus FUSC. Go for new.

NKYTA | 29 octobre 2019

“But actually I should have made the calcs based on your 260 mile 75D range which would put your daily driving range between 104 and 208 miles at the high end with severe range anxiety for the wife going down to 10%, which might not be good after spending $60k on a car.“

Nice attempt to deflect.

“From 40% to 80% of advertised range”. Where do you drum up such BS percentages?

Buy a Porsche, it’s a better EV. Not.

How many road trips have I completed before you joined the forums? 50k miles likely. A few times circling the US in my paltry P85.

110k and still grinning.

Ignore the Porsche troll, he does not know of what he speaks.

SamO | 29 octobre 2019

I had an s60 with 200 miles range. . . which was enough for a 140 mile commute. Each way. Having work charging is really quite amazing.

If money is an issue, you’ll be really blown away by the ‘18. And your wife won’t know the difference.

To all, thank you for your advice. 18 S is a great value given low miles and conditions. The wife is happy with her Lexus--should never got her start with Tesla....:)

@TranNDanz not sure why you got up your arse. If you got no suggestion/advice as to the question asked, keep your 2 cents to yourself. Or, take a hike!

@NKYTA, you're being your typical fanboy jerk self, as usual. Or you're just an ignorant teenager. Never quite sure with you fanboys. My calculations are 100% correct. We are not talking about road trips here. We are talking about range for daily driving:

1. Elon has said to charge the car to 90% daily, and at other times he has said 80%. And we all know we should not let it get below 10-20%, 10% minimum. Using the car from 90% to 10% range means using 80% of total battery range.

2. According to a TMC posting, when asked directly, Elon said to run the car daily from either 90% to 40% or 80% to 30%. Both of these means using 50% of total battery range.

2. Jeff Dahn (Tesla Industrial Research Chair and Professor of Physics and Atmospheric Science at the University of Dalhousie in Nova Scotia) says to charge to only 70% daily (100% for road trips only), and center it around 50% which means run it down to 30%. Driving from 70% to 30% means using 40% of total battery range.

Therefore, as I said, depending on whom you ask (CEO if Tesla or a battery expert) daily driving range really is somewhere between 40% and 80% of advertised total range, so...

If total advertised range is 375 miles then daily range is: 150 to 300 miles
If total advertised range is 260 miles then daily range is: 104 to 208 miles

You fanboys never cease to amaze me what jerks you are. Even when I'm suggesting that the OP buy a new Model S, you can't handle that I point out the real-world daily range of these vehicles--as prescribed by the CEO and his battery expert--because it somehow casts a shadow on the almighty Tesla.

2015P90DI | 29 octobre 2019

The 2019 is a notably superior car. The suspension is hands down superior to the pre-Raven cars. That alone was almost worth it for me. It's also a much more efficient car, thus burns less kWh per mile than pre-Raven cars. So your cost to charge per mile will be less. Possible the used 2018 will come with free-supercharging as the new ones do. Screen interface has been upgraded for 2019 as well. It's now on par with the Model 3, far less glitchy than older cars now that they are processing so much data.

Unless money is tight, the $22,000 difference is really only $12,000 when you consider a 75 vs a 100D. Would you pay $68,000 for a 2018 100D when you can get a new one for $80,000? Have to look at it that way to make it a fair comparison.

Even if you don't need the range, it never hurts to have it. Especially if you road trip the car. You will spend FAR LESS time charging with a new LR than you will with the 75.

Those are my thoughts.

Best of luck to you.

TranzNDance | 30 octobre 2019

@llim3306. Sexism is wrong and makes a hostile environment for people participating on the internet. You should leave if you haven't figured that out.

nipper2 | 30 octobre 2019

@llim3306 I would go with the new S long range. Yes right now she may not need the range but it's there in case she does need the range. Wife and kids are more important than anything else.

Anthony J. Parisio | 30 octobre 2019

I am with your wife. In cold weather we lose 1/3 of the range. Like wise the higher range makes the use of a Tesla very similar to how we use Fossil cars. Something more, the new car has a better suspension, front motor, way faster Autopilot computer and way faster mainscreen computer. It is worth the extra money.

Mathew98 | 30 octobre 2019

Irrational wives was a tongue in cheek comment. It could have easily been replaced by childish husbands in another conversation. Cause, you know, that's what married couples call each other.

There's no need to be hostile around here. Can't we all just get along?

Except for trolls. Continue to fling turd at trolls. It's open season.

tes-s | 30 octobre 2019

"My wife wishes to..."

Besides that, if she likes her Lexus I think she'll be happier with the new suspension.

Bighorn | 30 octobre 2019

Nuke is accurately quoting Musk and Dahn, but out of context. They both advocate driving the car however you need to, but proffered advice as how to maximize battery life if one were interested in extending it from what was already beyond sufficient, when pressed, based on laboratory findings. So, if your intent is to keep the car for 20 years and surpass 500k miles, it might be pertinent, but if you’re like 99.99% of the rest of us, don’t worry about going from 90% to 10% daily. And I say this as someone who is driving 80-90k miles a year and seeing no significant issues with regard to battery performance.
Sorry for having to go beyond my original answer of “I’d get the new one.”

mcmack15 | 30 octobre 2019

If you can reasonably afford it, go with the new one as this is the one your wife wants---------if not, for as long as she owns the car the range will always be on her mind.

nukequazar | 30 octobre 2019

@Bighorn is right. This time. ;)

Although I would say a couple of things: first, these things are still young and we really don’t know the best way to treat the batteries so better to be a bit conservative with them, and second, it really is not like an ICEV in that you still cannot get to a charging station and re-charged as quickly and easily as a gas station so you do have to be a bit more careful keeping a charge reserve in case unplanned errands come up.

maiorino | 30 octobre 2019

Get the new LR. I have a 75D MCU1 AP 2.5 w R19 wheels.

Didn’t notice your location but if it gets cold where you are loss of range is an issue. I love my MS but will say there are day’s I wish I got the 100D. 99% of the time I’m good but when that 1% hits it’s a PITA.

NKYTA | 30 octobre 2019

@nuke

Fine then, time for some fanboyism jerkiness.

"And we all know we should not let it get below 10-20%, 10% minimum."

Do you have a quote from Elon saying that?

In practice I've driven so sub 10 Rated miles (~3%) 20-30 times.

It cost me exactly once, when Mojave, CA SC was offline, due to high winds. Guess what, you couldn't pump gas in your ICE car for a 50 mile radius either.

@BH "So, if your intent is to keep the car for 20 years and surpass 500k miles, it might be pertinent, but if you’re like 99.99% of the rest of us, don’t worry about going from 90% to 10% daily."

I'd definitely put Nuke in the .01%. %.01 helpfulness to other owners on this forum; always with a slant that digs Tesla. Adds FUD when possible. Not helpful to new owners.

Go drive your car Nuke.

NKYTA | 30 octobre 2019

To the OP, get what makes financial sense for your situation.
Most that have stretched a bit have been very happy.

milesbb | 30 octobre 2019

The wife is driving 60 miles a day three days a week, 120 miles a day twice a week. She has charging at work. Range should not be an issue. Get the 2018. Tesla may not be her car, when you sell you will not take as big of a hit.

tes-s | 30 octobre 2019

"Get the 2018."

My guess is you are single. Or will be soon. :)

Charsiubao | 30 octobre 2019

I am owner of a 18/75D which I bought new, my decision to go with the 75D was based on the fact (as mentioned in other posts) that 259 mile range as claimed by Tesla works well for me, I go on trips with my kids a lot, and I usually take breaks every 150 to 180 miles which works very well for me...my last long family vacation trip was over 3,100 miles in the summer, never a problem. After owning the car for almost 2 years now, I feel good on saving the extra $15K or so for not buying the 100. Mind you though, the 259 mile range as claimed by Tesla may not be quite so, it probably goes down to about 240-245 quickly, and depending on your driving habit... you may actually get an average of 220 to 230 in real life, but still, for my situation, it is good enough, there are lots of charging stations now, so not much range anxiety at all. Honestly speaking, there are still a lot of small issues that Tesla has to work on to make the car better, but it is much better comparing to most other EVs, I will not have a problem buying a used 18 or newer, it is just depending on you, more or less, how to use and treat the car. When I first bought the car, my wife was not sold on the "range" and time needed to charge, but as we go on longer trips each time, she becomes totally sold on saving the $15K, not getting the 100 and especially so, after this last long 3,100 mile trip with the kids... she is actually talking about getting herself another Tesla for herself, s,3,x, or y, used or new... but my secret thought is to give her my s, and get a new one for myself...after Tesla makes the decision on the possibility of refreshing the s or not, or the truck.

2015P90DI | 31 octobre 2019

Compared with my prior P90D, my trip to Vegas was a full hour faster each way with the Raven based on the way charging worked out. My P90D was down to about 200 miles of usable range. Took longer to charge, had to charge more often and I really was tiring of using that car for road trips. The Raven LR has made road tripping almost feasible and dare I say it, not much worse than driving an ICE car.

Yes, I could make it with a 200 mile range car. But that's not the point. My round trip time too 2 hours less because I had more range available. BIG difference. Plus, don't think I'll ever have range anxiety. I did several times with the P90D. If there was a massive headwind, or it got really cold, things got really tight and was not fun having to slow down to make it. I never want to slow down because I'm limited by driving an EV. I want to just drive and not think about it. Add a heavy headwind AND cold weather, I probably wouldn't have made it. That would have really pissed me off. For many, it would only take once to turn them off of EV's for the foreseeable future.

Also, on the other notes about charging to 90% or 80% and only going down to 20% and using just 50% of your battery, again, kind of ridiculous. When you drove an ICE car, did you only use from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank and never actually fill the car up? The range and battery size is there, USE IT. But, this another reason why I love leasing over purchasing. With Tesla's drastic price changes on a whim that kills resale value, I never have to worry about what they do with pricing. But, I go through cars every 2-3 years, so it works perfectly for me. But, the added benefit is, I couldn't care less about how I use the battery. Not my problem in 3 years. Charge to 100% every time if I feel like it. I don't, but the point is, I could if I wanted to. Again, no restriction or sacrifice.

The biggest deterrent for most people switching to an EV is having to make too many sacrifices. With the MS Raven LR, I make very few sacrifices and never worry about resale value or having to deal with the hassle of getting it sold. May not be for everyone, but certainly works perfectly for me. And on my P90D, I came out about $20,000 ahead in the end, based on the value versus what the loan balance would have been, rather than just dropping off the keys and walking away without owing them a dime!

tes-s | 31 octobre 2019

"Compared with my prior P90D, my trip to Vegas was a full hour faster each way with the Raven based on the way charging worked out."

Yes!! Bigger is much faster.