Forums

Cybertruck Wheelbase is Too Big

Cybertruck Wheelbase is Too Big

I have a $100 reservation for a Cybertruck. I currently have a F-150 Super Crew, 5.5' bed with a 145" wheelbase (and a Model 3, but who cares about that?). To estimate the Cybertruck wheelbase, I prorated the Ford dimensions to calculate a Cybertruck wheelbase between 163" - 169". I used the picture where the Cybertruck is towing away the F-150 in a tug-o-war. Based on my measurements, the F-150 pictured has a 5.5' bed. As the wheelbase gets longer, the vehicle gets much more difficult to drive in tight spaces. The 145" wheelbase is bad enough, but at 163 - 169", I'm not sure this is a beast I want to drive.

Does anyone have any info on the Cybertruck wheelbase? I doubt there will be alternatives for a smaller wheelbase Cybertruck anytime soon.

Ehninger1212 | 25 novembre 2019

@WardT

I have not really researched the wheelbase.. What about this is a concern to you though?

Turning?

I know the longer wheel base will make towing more smooth..

TabascoGuy | 25 novembre 2019

Did you see them turn the truck around in the street during the test drives. I would have had to do a three point turn in any of my 4x4 trucks.

PrescottRichard | 25 novembre 2019

By eye I think the wheelbase is about 1/2 the diameter of the Tesla’s wheel longer. Personally I think the tug-o-war thing was silly. That Ford looked to be a RWD too, which seems mis-matched. I would think weight would play into that more than power after a certain point, also tire inflation. Odd thing is- no one is saying Elon is distracted by Ford at this point!

I’m always impressed with how tight my dual motor S can turn when needed, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the wheel base myself. That’s not entirely all that matters though, a longer wheelbase is just plain longer all the time!

Seems like a lot of speculative Cybertruck threads recently, which is expected I guess. Still, I kinda wish there was a Cybertruck forum where they could all go and live without cluttering up things.

Congrats on the Model 3 WardT! See, I care :)

WardT | 25 novembre 2019

Thanks for your responses. I’m sure a lot will change by the time we get to order our own Cybertruck. My concern is driving a supertanker around parking lots. I need a F150, not an F350 type vehicle. Based on my wife’s M3, I can’t imagine Ford making a vehicle with all of the really cool Tesla features I’ve become spoiled with. Just to name a few: OTA updates, one-pedal driving, awesome sound system, no-keys phone connected vehicle, amazing navigation system and a great network of charging locations.

TeslaTap.com | 25 novembre 2019

@WardT - I could be wrong, but I thought Elon said the Cybertuck has about the same dimensions as the F150. The structure allows for a larger bed/cabin than the F150 for the same outside dimensions.

I should note there are about 100 variations of the F150, so I'm not sure which F150 it was being compared with.

BadgerErickson | 25 novembre 2019

CT wheel base is 149.9". No, handling difficulty in turning/steering is addressed in chassis geometry, power steering adjustment, and the steering ratios in the respective gear boxes. There's no way my personal F250 could have been making those turn a arounds in the demo rides, as we see them done in the videos. The CT has much better handling than any F-Truck, guaranteed. You do not want a shorter wheel base, as towing stability come sin part from longer wheel bases as the CT currently has. We ordered the DM AWD, you?

Wormtown Kris | 25 novembre 2019

Yes. Per Motor Trend, who got to see the CT 8 weeks and 2 weeks before the reveal, the wheelbase is 149.9". They report, alternately 230" and 231.7" long, 78.8" wide, and 75" high. A bit smaller than SuperCrew F-150 size. My 2003 Lariat is ~226"l, 79"w, 76"h, 139"wb. I too was concerned about turning radius, but I agree w @BadgerErickson that the demo U turns imply fairly good maneuverability.

WardT | 25 novembre 2019

This is really good news! I reserved the duel motor all-wheel drive with full self-driving capability. I don't expect FULL self-driving to be what we want, but no problem. I'll take what I get. Notice it says "capability" and not just FSD.

sbeggs | 25 novembre 2019

@WardT,
I think you have a fighting chance of getting it.

Xerogas | 25 novembre 2019

@sbeggs: "@WardT,
I think you have a fighting chance of getting it."
------
I see what you did there ;)

@WardT dual*

sbeggs | 26 novembre 2019

@Xerogas,

T-hee!

J.T. | 26 novembre 2019

@sbeggs Thanks for the chuckle

sbeggs | 26 novembre 2019

@J.T.,
You have brought so much mirth to us, glad I could bring some humor as well!

prl99 | 26 novembre 2019

I used the images on the Tesla website and scaled the Cybertruck to 231.7" long. This gives an approximate wheelbase (center of wheel to center of wheel) of 156". It's 75" tall.

My 2013 Toyota Tacoma double cab, TRD, 5-ft bed off-road model has a 127" wheelbase, 208" overall, and is 70" tall. My truck has a turning radius of 41-ft. I like the size of my truck, it's not a too big and long. I can easily fit it in a parking slot, even the compact ones.

I was hoping for something more in line with the size of mine instead of competing with the overgrown domestic trucks, which seem to keep growing every year. The Toyota trucks are doing the same and it's getting to the point where businesses should be forced to create larger parking places instead of having these monster trucks take up 4 parking spots.

That said I did place an order for one.

lilbean | 26 novembre 2019

75” tall? Wow! Can you see the lilbean next to that? Haha!