Forums

Adaptive follow distance (Autopilot)

Adaptive follow distance (Autopilot)

Does anyone know how to drop off suggestions to Tesla for software updates?

The more I've been using autopilot and NoA the more I wish the system could auto-adjust follow distance based on speed of travel. For instance if I'm going <20mph in heavy traffic have the car follow at 1-2, if i'm traveling moderate speeds around 40-50 have the car follow at 3-4, and anything faster than say 65-70mph have the car follow at 5+. I'm frequently having to adjust the follow distance on my cruise stalk to compensate depending on traffic and speed. Anyway wish autopilot had this option? Maybe have a menu under AP with 3 brackets of speeds and you can enter the distance you want with option to override with the cruise stalk.

EVRider | 10 décembre 2019

The following distance (which is part of TACC) is supposed to be based on the time it takes your vehicle to reach the one in front. In other words, it’s supposed to work the way you want it to, but it isn’t. I would report that as a bug rather than a feature request.

PatientFool | 10 décembre 2019

I know what you're saying. I adjust mine similarly. The car does increase/decrease the distance accordingly with speed as is but I personally wish it did so more then it does. For example at slow speeds, tighten up further. At higher speeds, drop back further then it does.

gwashburn | 10 décembre 2019

Tesla should add a user setting to make the distance adjustable to your preference. The adaptive cruise in my 2016 Cadillac ELR has this feature.

ALSET | 10 décembre 2019

So there is no email address or "feedback" box where I can submit this to Tesla correct?

mizunosan | 10 décembre 2019

ALSET: Yup... "Bug Report" from your car's voice control. I do it all the time and whether they listen to everything or not, some of the changes I wanted have been implemented over this past year.

SnowFlake | 10 décembre 2019

My AP1 car adjust the distance based on speed as well as weather.
When rains it sure adjusts immediately but for the snow. It waits until one of the wheel slip.

barrykmd | 10 décembre 2019

mizunosan | December 10, 2019
ALSET: Yup... "Bug Report" from your car's voice control. I do it all the time and whether they listen to everything or not, some of the changes I wanted have been implemented over this past year.

All "bug report" does is put a bookmark in the log where the problem occurred. It makes it easier for service to find it. Tesloa does not review these routinely.

EVRider | 11 décembre 2019

You can use the Request Help link on your vehicle page to report the issue.

PatientFool | 11 décembre 2019

feedback@tesla.com for feedback. they've responded to me in the past thanking me for my suggestions.

ALSET | 11 décembre 2019

@PatientFool - Thanks, I emailed them.

kapiljain | 15 décembre 2019

Yes this looks more like user preference as I am quite happy with the distance mine (v1.0 hw) keeps at different speeds. What I don't like is from a stop it starts a bit too slowly and leaves a big gap for a little while if the car in front starts even moderately fast.