Forums

SR battery limitation software is the 13.5% top of the battery

SR battery limitation software is the 13.5% top of the battery

So I bought a SR since I commute 50 km a day so I had no reason to buy the LR battery and reasoning between LR, MR or SR+ was the same as the family car for ski trips and camping trip will be the 7 seater Model Y.
2 days ago just before the software update, I was charged at 95% showing 360km range of my usual 386km since delivery as it was delivery as a SR+ and not yet software limited. I had forgotten to get the charging max back to 80% as I usually do and just before the drive put it to 100% to pre-warm the battery and make it charge to 84/85% before departure.
When I did the update on the 3rd of January, the battery range was showing 334km range at 100% of the battery.
I then went for a 25km drive and the SOC stayed at 100% for the whole drive.
I went for another 25km drive and now the range started gradually going from 334km to 300km.
So I guess the SR will have a software limitation of the upper 13.5% of the battery pack and I guess it is safe to charge to 100% daily as it if the equivalent of charging to 86.5% as I was already doing.
Just the regen that will be affected for the first few miles driven.
There is only 2 points of regen showing when full charge which is the 86.5% battery known capacity

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 5 janvier 2020

As Fish often says: "Only TESLA knows and they aren't telling us."

Bighorn | 5 janvier 2020

There should not be any regen limitations if that much buffer is really on the top. Better to have buffer on the bottom to prevent bricking and running out of charge. It's probably smartly divided.

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

There is a owner in Quebec Tesla Model 3 FB group who had to drive 250km up North and didn't make it to destination because it was 15 degrees cooler where he was going and he underestimated his range. He managed to ride 30km after 0%, now I wonder what would be the range if he did the same "real-life experiment"

Pg3ibew | 5 janvier 2020

Oh look everyone. "The first Battery thread wasnt going so well, so I will make ANOTHER battery thread", thread.
We need way more of these.

FISHEV | 5 janvier 2020

"There is only 2 points of regen showing when full charge which is the 86.5% battery known capacity"

At what temp? You live in the Great White North so I'm wondering if the 2 points of reduced regen are from cold or capacity?

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

When my battery stays cold for the first 1hour drive so yes it was probably cold related.
TBH, I almost never have any regen on my car.

Maxxer 15 degrees cooler in Celsius you forgot to mention

Why not ride bicycle in minus 30 Celsius ? You do know that EV's are not really good for extreme cold climates? Right?

Lonestar10_1999 | 5 janvier 2020

@Maxxer- you’re ami from Quebec could have bricked his M3 by driving 30km beyond 0%. If he likes his M3, why would he attempt damaging it like that? Maybe mommy will buy another M3 if the first M3 dies.

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

WW, I did bicycle commute all year round during my 12 years of university.
Now you want to find me a heated bicycle stroller for my kids?
If you find one, let me know I'll sell my Frozen Model 3 to your Frozen brain for the same price your brain's worth. no check needed!

Lol so you blast heat in your model 3 to keep you kids warm but you would stroll them in minus 30 C with heated stroller? Mmm okey Dr.

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

Don't you get sarcasm?

Your*

Do you get your info about battery reserve from Elon?

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

It's sad forums don't show sarcasm.
I'm sarcastic 99% of the time

Hope you love your battery

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

No, I programmed the battery limitation software.
I was tired of having so much useless extra range.

Elon calls me the Battery Doc

You said you listed you model 3 for sale. What are you getting instead? I forgot

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

7 seater Model Y AWD LR
Cybertruck Dual Motor

Hmm but you complain about range as our friend F but getting smaller range Y and CT ?

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

No, I said range is not a matter to be as far as commuting to work as it's a 30 miles round trip. I could have a Nissan Leaf to go to work.

But to go ski with the family in Mont Tremblant, it's a 300 miles drive with -20 degrees fahrenheit some winter weeks. So I will need a Long Range Cybertruck or Model Y for these cases. But my new baby is not ski ready so it is not a matter right now.

Model Y has less range then 3, and CyberTruck only tri motor has 500m range. You said dual motor CT that is 300 miles same as y.

Also you said you drive your Pick up truck to Ski spot. If you could use your leaf for commute why did you buy model 3? I thought you were for reusing for the sake of Earth. Why would you pollute by buying new car?

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

I had no leaf, I had a 200 000 miles Toyota Corolla with broken oil line, gas line, cardans, chocks and the transmission blew up the day before I received my Model 3. I had reserved a Bolt to receive it before my Model 3 because my corolla was blowing apart but I finally canceled my Bolt and waited for the Model 3 after reading Ashlee Vance book on Elon Musk and the working ethics he has.

I ended up spending about $2500 in repairs for my Corolla before taking delivery of my Model 3. So if you want to try to lecture me on reusing for the sake of Earth, come take a look at my ‘93 Toyota Corolla, I’ll make ya a special price in roubles for the couple rusty parts left

Why sell model 3 then?

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

Try to find an EV that holds 7 people
Can pull this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9_rrEySDik
Can transport 7 Mountain bikes

Let me know

FISHEV | 5 janvier 2020

"Try to find an EV that holds 7 people."

Rivian R1S is probably the only EV close to production that can hold 7 people. We've tried to get six in the Model X but it does't really work if they are all adults.

yudansha™ | 5 janvier 2020

@FISHEV BS. Maybe they have some other issues, like wide hip bone?

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

A Suburban XL EV with 500 miles range and access to supercharger would be incredible. But this will never exist.

Cool camper

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

A bit pricey but incredible off-roading

FISHEV | 5 janvier 2020

“A Suburban XL EV with 500 miles range and access to supercharger would be incredible. But this will never exist.”

Rivian R1S is it. 400 miles, 7,000 tow (low for big EV). For light truck’s EV rating they should have a “Normal Range” (range at 70F charging 85/10), “High Speed Range”, going 60, 70, 80 deration, “Cold Weather Range” at 40, 30, 20 degrees

Maxxer | 5 janvier 2020

Do they actually exist?

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 5 janvier 2020

@pez
“”A Suburban XL EV with 500 miles range and access to supercharger would be incredible. But this will never exist.”

Rivian R1S is it. 400 miles””

Trolls gonna troll.