Forums

Moving Tesla HQ away from California.

Moving Tesla HQ away from California.

So Elon announces on twitter HQ is moving immediately. Nice morale booster locally. /s

jimglas | 9 mai 2020

Seems counterproductive to me

andy.connor.e | 9 mai 2020

Im surprised it took this long

FISHEV | 9 mai 2020

"As we reported earlier this week, Tesla attempted to reopen Fremont factory following comments from California’s Governor about starting to slowly reopen the state, but Alameda County, where the Fremont factory is located, shut down Tesla’s attempt to restart production.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/09/tesla-move-california-to-texas-nevada-cor...

That's nice. Don't let Covid-29 hit you in the butt on the way out. Musk seems to be getting more and more deranged. Turns his kid into a PR stunt. Claims there is no Covid-19 (100,000 deaths not enough evidence?), then claims the same factory rules China requires are "excessive" and "fascist" in CA.

If Musk wanted to do some constructive self promoting, he could retool the CA and NV factories for production in the year of Covid-19 and show how mfg could work safely in a pandemic.

"Claims there is no Covid-19"
hey CNNFISH, your mainstream media bias is starting to show.

"then claims the same factory rules China requires are "excessive" and "fascist" in CA."
What china does is exclusive from the US.

Agreed, Tesla can implement the preventative measure that the China Tesla plant is currently enacting, in which seems to be working well. The US would rather shut everything down and wait. Wait for what? Wait for a depression.

Magic 8 Ball | 9 mai 2020

Heart and soul of Tesla is in California. Making a rash announcement, out of frustration, cuts to the bone. Tesla will be a tower somewhere eventually but basically saying he wants out of CA, all together, eliminates so much enthusiasm and puts to question loyalty and sacrifices.

rglossin | 9 mai 2020

I'm surprised Tesla has stayed in CA this long. On a side note I lived in the bay area for 55 years but since I've been gone nobody has missed me. LOL

Im not one to believe this is a rash announcement. Its not uncommon for companies to move their HQ out of california. Elon even stated that the first gigafactory was not built in california because it would have taken some 2 years to get the permits. That, cost of living, taxes, and their government power growing, im surprised it took this long.

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

California needs to treat this pandemic correctly and should not behave like Trump and the MAGA hatters by sacrificing people for the sake of opening up the economy a few weeks earlier. If Musk wants to try hold California to ransom goodbye and good luck.

I had no idea that California is sacrificing people by allowing people to make the personal choice to put themselves at risk if they choose to do so. Letting people put themselves at risk is against the law. I wonder who gets to decide where the line is drawn, and as history has demonstrated, the line gets continuously pushed.

Announcing, via twitter, HQ is moving immediately is rash and adds more disruption to these difficult times.

jimglas | 9 mai 2020

One does not just put oneself at risk

TabascoGuy | 9 mai 2020

So are we only fair weather supporters?

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

@Andy. A personal choice is to put yourself at risk. A public health hazard is getting yourself infected and spreading your disease around. That would not be an allowable personal choice. It’s like practicing unprotected sex with a high risk individual. That would be a dumb personal choice. Spreading your HIV around afterwards would be a crime against humanity. And you ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law

No one should be compelled to stay at home. No one should be compelled to return to work. That is a free society. If we had the proper preventative measures in place, it wouldnt seem like a crime against humanity to return to work. The guy down the street is not impacting my health in any form because my choice is to stay home, and i enact proper preventative measures to bring my risk to nearly zero.

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

@Tabasco Guy. This is not the MAGA hatter can club. I truly admire Elon based on his vision, his success and his stance against climate change. But I will not endorse stupid and dangerous behavior. If only MAGA hatters would fall out Trump occasionally.

TabascoGuy | 9 mai 2020

Why do you always bring MAGA hatters and Trump into every conversation?

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

Because it is there warped philosophy that they bring to these threads. The rest of us do not swear blind loyalty to someone come what may. My illustration was that by MAGA hatter standards we may be fair weather fans.

TabascoGuy | 9 mai 2020

OK, I thought you were calling me one. My apologies.

everyone SCCRENDO doesnt agree with is a MAGA hatter.

No one should be compelled to stay at home. No one should be compelled to return to work.
That is a free society.

This is ugly.

if moving the Tesla HQ will delay the cybertruck, please stay put

andy | 9 mai 2020

The virus doesn’t leave much room for individual choice. Catch it and you could infect many people who you pass it to directly and indirectly while having no symptoms yourself. Each person who ends up in hospital is a big drain on limited resources. End up on a ventilator and you are in a grim situation, as is anybody you passed it onto first, second or third hand. It isn’t even limited to being a respiratory illness - it can manifest in various internal organs.

The countries that are coming through this quickly and, at the moment, look to have the best chance of a fast economic recovery, are those that have accepted strict communal rules with high levels of conformance and which, in my opinion, have a slightly less individualistic outlook. That catchphrase “we are all in this together” has never been more apt.

I don’t know the specifics related to the Tesla manufacturing process, but I’d be surprised if it were not possible to maintain production, social distancIng and a safe working environment. The Tesla service centres, which are legally allowed to stay open here, operate in a very safe way. The technology allows for contactless delivery and service. The Model 3 was the best selling car of all types in the UK in April - a testament to the end to end technology and a possible signpost to other of how to operate in the coming months,

In this case it is completely possible that Elon is right that manufacturing can restart, while at the same time the concerns about transmission are also valid.

All the evidence suggests that we are in for the long haul with the virus and are going to need to adapt society to minimise risk while doing what we can to protect jobs. Try and live how we did then it’s likely we’ll all be in big trouble. Adapt and we can have both a level of economic recovery and a relatively safe working and social environment.

jimglas | 9 mai 2020

Andy.conner, If I had typoid or smallpox, would you want to be protected from me?

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

@Andy (intelligent one). Agreed. +100. My other comments to Andy were not meant for you.

Democracy is not easy. The local jurisdiction has determined the curve is not flat enough for the level allowing the lifting of restrictions. Giving allowances on a case by case basis is not possible there is not enough people for that type of regulation, management, and enforcement.

What happens if one worker infects another worker, who is liable? I don't think we think about those things with a flu but CV19 has brought on a whole new level of reality dealing with this sort of thing. Some will say awareness brings on paranoia while others will argue that ignorance is a death sentence.

@jim

Of course. The exact example that SCCRENDO pointed about having sex with people while knowingly having HIV. Intentionally infecting is not the argument. Of course, i'd want to be protected from that disease. Thats why we have vaccines for those diseases and they are essentially mandated. If you didnt have smallpox, would you want to return to work? Did we force stay at homes when Ebola was a thing? That disease was way more deadly. We put preventative measures in place and we cut its neck. Our elected officials that we elected to represent US should be figuring out preventative measures so we can maintain our freedom. Right now we're sitting around waiting for a depression. If people want to return to work, they should be allowed to take the risk with the compromise of enacting preventative measures. If people do not want to return to work because they dont want to take the risk, they should not be compelled to do so. There are some employees in my company that want to return to work, and some like myself do not want to. My employer already approved me to work from home essentially indefinitely until this virus is under control. That is a free society.

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

There is no vaccine for HIV. Smallpox has been eliminated from the world except for labs. I was vaccinated at birth and every time I travelled abroad. No vaccination is necessary now. But imagine if someone released smallpox from a lab. There is some immunity among old farts like myself who were vaccinated. But for the younger ones there would be a problem. We would need to mass vaccinate in a hurry. If there was a vaccine for COVID that would be the way to go. But until that happens smart social distancing needs to be in force. And not the uniformed social distancing of the MAGA hatter crowd

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

If you ignore social distancing laws and get infected and infect someone else that is intentional infection. Just because you are ignorant of that fact does not make it ok

TeslaTap.com | 9 mai 2020

I can understand Elon's frustration. Not sure how moving to Texas or Nevada is going to help. With both those states opening up everything while trending upwards, they are going to be a total mess in 3-4 weeks. I doubt may workers here in CA would be willing to move to NV or TX either, so that means hiring and training an entirely new workforce. No great answers.

People who want to return to work and enact proper preventative measures are not to be conflated with those who intentionally ignore social distancing, preventative measures, and act like the disease doesnt exist. You are arguing an extreme point of view. No one wants people to ignore social distancing or not wear masks in public. So i really dont know why you are even going there.

One bad apple ruins it for the bunch. The extreme arguments are 'zero deaths are acceptable' vs 'as long as the hospitals are not overloaded everything is fine'.

SCCRENDO | 9 mai 2020

Everything is simplistic in your mind. If Alameda county thought it was ok they would have allowed it. Why would they want to hinder a successful business. I suspect most here would believe that Alameda County officials have more understanding than you and the rest of the MAGA hatters regarding COVID precautions in the county.

You dont think its not simplistic for you to say "If Alameda county thought it was ok they would have allowed it"? Is it that simple? If you're worried about people going to work and ignoring the social distancing or preventative measures, then the same way that i am mandated by my company to wear and to not wear certain apparel, companies can implement these things to resume our nations economy.

have you not realized yet that calling me a maga hatter in every comment does nothing?

If i come to work with shorts on, i risk being fired. If an employee shows up to work without preventative things such as masks, or washing hands regularly, they risk being fired. They can go home and someone more willing to follow necessary protocol can take their place. I dont see how thats not realistic solution. Asian companies have been doing this for a month.

Like musk said in his most recent podcast with Joe Rogan. When companies dont make things, we dont have things.

FISHEV | 9 mai 2020

@andy.connor.e | May 9, 2020hey CNNFISH, your mainstream media bias is starting to show."

Oh nooose...not "the mainstream media" the lament of Trumpers everywhere to facts and figures.

Musk just wants to kill auto workers and their families...why won't that mean Alemeda County let him do it? I mean what are their lives worth compared to Musk's ego.

You'd think Musk could figure out how to adapt the plant for Covid-19?

Tesla's Shanghai plant also recently shutdown supposedly for "parts shortage" but with most China plants up to 80-90% what parts shortage? Did Chinese government step and, like Alameda, determine Tesla was not using the safe procedures that other plants and China have adapted?

MitchP85D | 9 mai 2020

I hope Elon Musk makes a big public announcement, saying this to California, "All of you go to hell, I'm going to Texas!"

that would be so great. Texas is much easier to build and expand anyway.

Darthamerica | 9 mai 2020

Elon Musk knows this response to COVID-19 is a huge overreaction. I don’t blame him for leaving!

MitchP85D | 9 mai 2020

You statist-progressives in California have castigated a great visionary-engineer in your state. In Texas, we don't let political differences get in our way. If somebody is a net plus for our state, that person is more than welcome!

Yet despite all of the issues in California it represents the fifth largest economy on the planet.

Hey look. After threatening to move their HQ, it looks like they're coming down to planet earth:

"The City encourages the County to engage with our local businesses to come up with acceptable guidelines for re-opening our local economy. As we have done for over a decade, the City is prepared to support Tesla as soon as they are able to resume automobile manufacturing operations and are committed to a thoughtful, balanced approach to this effort that remains safe for our Fremont community."

Not sure why people have their heads in the sand. Look to China. Operate both factories the same way.

link to city of fremont official website:

http://www.fremont.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1768

Mike83 | 9 mai 2020

Not certain but politically alameda may dislike Tesla anyway. Very suspicious esp. if you look at the real numbers there as well as other automakers opening.
Odd that in the China factory with 6000 employees not one has the virus and they are working.
My feeling is it is politics.
lobbyists might be the culprits here.
https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/alameda/category/oil-refinery

FISHEV | 9 mai 2020

Mike83 | May 9, 2020 "Odd that in the China factory with 6000 employees not one has the virus and they are working."

Odder still that Shanghai just shutdown.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-us-and-china-plants-both-shu...

Wonder if Musk's tirade against plant safety in CA is due to plant safety issues in China?

"Odder still that Shanghai just shutdown."

Fish. China opened today. You are the worst FUD spreader.

"Tesla extended a planned five-day labor break to May 9 as the company reportedly experiences parts shortages."
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-china-plant-offline-component-s...

"their holiday would be extended and they will return as soon as May 9"
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2020/05/07/tesla-idles-...

"They were supposed to return to work on Wednesday 6 May, but were told to stay home and prepare to return as soon as 9 May, according to people who spoke Bloomberg News under condition of anonymity."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tesla-production-stopp...

You are one god damn impressive moron.

FISHEV | 9 mai 2020

@MitchP85D | May 9, 2020 You statist-progressives in California have castigated a great visionary-engineer in your state. In Texas, we don't let political differences get in our way."

A bit ironic since Tesla exists due to California's CARB standards.

Mike83 | 9 mai 2020

Thanks Andy. The stinking fish lies and distorts. It looks like the FUD was removed.

TabascoGuy | 9 mai 2020

@FishEV "Odder still that Shanghai just shutdown."

They had to stop the assembly line because of vendor issues. They didn't shut down the plant.

Idiot. Cut and paste some more "facts"

Not even 3 sources indicating they reopened today is enough for the FUD response generator

Mike83 | 9 mai 2020

I read the lawsuits are being filed against Alameda County. If there is some corruption of officials with the oil industry there it needs to be cleaned up.

Pages