Forums

Other Battery Developments

Other Battery Developments

Tesla is not the only company developing batteries.
We all hope they are the best on the planet, but then are we talking Panasonic or CATL?
(neither of which was used in the Biggest Battery).

Here we can learn up on competing tech.

No fighting.

Ross1 | 21 mai 2020

This one has merit, according to their own press release:

https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/new-zinc-air-battery-is-cheaper-...

Ross1 | 21 mai 2020

The article is longerthan this, but here is the start of it:

A new type of battery is coming onto the market that can store multiple days’ worth of energy, that doesn’t degrade, can’t possibly explode and is up to five times cheaper than lithium-ion, claimed its developer as it prepares to pilot the technology in New York state.

The zinc-air hybrid flow battery developed by Canadian company Zinc8 has the potential to disrupt the entire energy-storage market — making wind and solar farms baseload and even replacing the need for transmission grid upgrades in many places.

The mysterious 150-hour battery that can guarantee renewables output during extreme weather
Read more

IEA: Covid-19 stimulus cash should be invested in battery and electrolyser production
Read more
“For large-scale energy storage, lithium-ion can’t touch us on cost,” says chief executive Ron MacDonald, a former Canadian member of Parliament who now oversees a company that has received $100m of funding.

Zinc-air can beat lithium-ion batteries on price because the latter can generally only hold about four hours’ worth of energy at any one time, so an eight-hour storage system would require two batteries. By contrast, the storage capacity of the Zinc8 system can just be made bigger by increasing the size of the storage tank and the volume of the electrolyte it contains.

The capital cost of an eight-hour Zinc8 storage is about $250/kWh, falling to $100/kWh for a 32-hour system and $60/kWh for 100 hours. By contrast, lithium-ion projects cost about $300/kWh for any duration over eight hours.

“Our market is eight hours [of storage] and above,”

rxlawdude | 21 mai 2020

I'm confused about "lithium ion can only hold about four hours' worth of energy at one time."

WTF? No context of load or how much energy the Zn-air hybrid can store.

Like cold fusion till it's actually in commercial production.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 21 mai 2020

^ it’s in the context of powering buildings.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 21 mai 2020

It’s also talking about how long it holds SOC. It loses some 1% per day, which is pretty good, but it’s at the cost of efficiency (65%). Still, interesting solution for a home backup.

blue adept | 21 mai 2020

@Ross1

It's an interesting idea/concept though, as I understand it, it's a bit of a mis-characterization for them to say that they "store" energy as it's more so a matter of their employing an alchemical process that enables them to generate electricity by using electrocatalysts made from rare-earth minerals and electricity from the grid in a form of electrolysis that reduces the oxygen in the storage chamber while discharging the battery, and generates it while recharging, producing those "dentritic particles" they mention that provide the 'charge'.

Many steps involved in the somewhat convoluted process and the duration of the charge would depend largely on how much zinc material they were able to keep on hand and how well they're able to maintain the dentritic particles in a state of excitation to produce the electricity.

Interesting all the same.

blue adept | 21 mai 2020

p.s.

If you're going to copy-pasta your input here you really need to work on your execution of the process.

Ross1 | 22 mai 2020

@Rrxlaw: you need to click the whole article

Ross1 | 22 mai 2020

@ blue:
you need to read the whole article: I just provided the opening paragraphs to give an idea what its about.
Because people rarely click links, just spout opinions without any idea what the articles say.
How much more can I spoon feed you?

Its what I have been doing here for 5 years, alerting the folk to information from sometimes more obscure sources, many of which appear in my country and not yours. Also, I am halfway thru my day before you even wake up. I am effectively getting the news before it happens :)
Its an electromagnetic thing, but you wouldnt understand ::))

blue adept | 22 mai 2020

You must've forgotten who you're talking to...

I read the entire article, bookmarked the authoring site's address, paid particular attention to the article's "In simple terms" explanation of how the process worked under its "How the Zinc8 System Works" header, and provided my abbreviated analysis of the process based on my understanding above.

That's electromagnetic, diamagnetic, and paramagnetic.

And I'm perfectly capable of 'feeding' myself, thank you.

blue adept | 22 mai 2020

Be it with spoon, fork, or other utensil.

blue adept | 22 mai 2020

Smart røv. ;-)

blue adept | 22 mai 2020

What happened to you, @Ross1, it's not even lunch time your way yet.

Ross1 | 22 mai 2020

What did you mean I need to lift my game then?

blue adept | 22 mai 2020

I think what you're referring to is my critique of your copy and paste skills as you (accidentally I'm guessing) pasted in some excerpt about "COVID-19 stimulus cash" that was part of an entirely different article not necessarily related to the Zinc8 battery development technology.

Ross1 | 23 mai 2020

It was an embedded commercial.

blue adept | 23 mai 2020

Ah, I see....

blue adept | 23 mai 2020

All the same, you got the part about where it requires energy from the grid to initiate and sustain the conversion process that, eventually, generates electricity, yes?

Ross1 | 23 mai 2020

Oh boy you chatter more than @andyelectric! ::))

blue adept | 23 mai 2020

I'm just methodical in my review of data/material presented to me.

I can't help it, my brain just works that way and I only follow where my mind goes.

Ross1 | 24 mai 2020

Really!
I could go to jail for that.

blue adept | 24 mai 2020

Judging by the way the world is, I'm guessing that a lot of people would and some have.