Forums

Premium Sound System XXX Bluetooth

Premium Sound System XXX Bluetooth

Was initially disappointed with Model X premium sound until I recognized it was probably from playing Bluetooth. Formatted Patriot 128 as dos drive, placed in Macbook, dragged whole playlist in folder, numbered 01 02 etc. through 12 to get to play in correct. Plugged in X USB port and heaven, best car sound ever, like by 'B' home system. Lovely. Takeaway XXX Bluetooth.

rdainer | 2 juin 2016

Can you explain that slower?

lightonwater | 2 juin 2016

A longer version:

Currently (a questionable term in a fast advancing digital world) I find 'Bluetooth' not acceptable, because the music sounds so deadened, really a zombie version of music. The 'Bluetooth' technology relies on some degree of compression, of giving up some of the data in the original version, so as to be able to transmit the data through the air. A wired connection on the other hand is a wide enough channel that it can transmit the data without using compression, provide all the data in the original file. Using a flash disk drive maintains a wired connection channel.

SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive (SDIX30C-128G-GN6NE) is the drive I reformatted to MS Dos (FAT) using the Apple MacBook Pro's disk utility. (One un-intuitively chooses 'erase' to pull up formatting options.) Since the Mac can read and write to a MS Dos (FAT) disk, I was thereafter able to select all the files in a playlist and drag-copy them over to a new folder on the desktop, renaming the folder with my playlist name. To get its contents to play in desired order I added to the front of the name of each piece of music 01, 02, and so on to the twelfth piece, 12. Then I dragged-copied the folder with its music to the icon on the desktop of the flash drive plugged into my computer. Then I chose eject drive in the finder widow.

Once the prepared flash drive is plugged to one of the two USB slots in the Model X, after a few moments USB1 populates in 'My Devices' section of the Tesla X music app. Pressing on the available the folder view gives me a listing of my 12 pieces in my playlist. After pressing for the first piece, the whole list is played in order.

For me the resulting sounds are rich, with clear highs and lows, and detailed texture. Disclaimer is that I'm not a music expert...however I am loving listening to the music now, both at home and in the car.

oragne lovre | 2 juin 2016

@realization,

It's great that you're able to figure out the "wired connection" to make the best of the Premium Sound system.
Is there a way to reformat with a PC?

rdainer | 3 juin 2016

Thank you!!! That makes sense to me I will try it!!

davediep | 3 juin 2016

@oragne lovre
I use "miniaide-fat32-formatter" to format the drive. I then converted all my CD songs to .FLAC format and the resulting music is phenomenal in my Sig X. Listening to the music through your USB1/2 will give you the best sound quality.
For "Exact Audio Copy" you need to follow the instruction very carefully to avoid problems later.
Good luck!

http://download.cnet.com/MiniAide-Fat32-Formatter/3000-2094_4-75701815.html
http://download.cnet.com/Exact-Audio-Copy/3000-2140_4-10125142.html

madodel | 3 juin 2016

Have to agree here. Initially I just played the FM radio and the sound was blah. Then started using the Internet radio and it was much improved, but copying my music to a USB button drive and plugging that into the front USB port, the sound is now amazing.

oragne lovre | 3 juin 2016

@davediep,

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a USB 2 since my current USB 3s are not recognized by the X.
In the meantime, I wonder if I can re-format my existing iPod, rip songs in .FLAC into it, then plug it to an X USB port to enjoy better sound?

eric.zucker | 4 juin 2016

Usb3s work fine. You need to format them as FAT32, not extFS or NTFS.

aesculus | 4 juin 2016

Pressing on the available the folder view gives me a listing of my 12 pieces in my playlist. After pressing for the first piece, the whole list is played in order.

That's not a playlist but playing all the songs in a single folder in the alpha order you forced in renaming them.

A playlist allows for the songs to be stored anywhere on the disk with any name, and then played in the order you made the playlist. And songs could be put into multiple playlists without having to copy them into new folders.

oragne lovre | 5 juin 2016

@davediep,
.FLAC ripping works the magic! Now I can listen to all whistles and bells that I previously missed while using Bluetooth.

@eric,
Thanks for the reminder.

@realization,
Many thanks for starting this thread.

eric.zucker | 6 juin 2016

FLAC allows much higher quality than CDs which are sampled at 44.1 thousand 16 bit samples per second. I normally get 24/96 which is 96 thousand samples of 24 bits, some even go to 24/192. Each extra bit doubles the dynamic range, so if a 16 bit CD sample holds a value between -32767 to +32767, a 24 bit sample has 16.7 million possible values.

This means much more detail, like comparing graphics from a 1970's Commodore to today's PS4.

Some drawbacks are that you need a larger drive to store your music, and not all audio players can decode FLAC. Fortunately, Tesla does.

If you know of any good hi-res music service, I'm interested. Usually hdtracks.com is quite good, but the selection is still limited.

rdainer | 6 juin 2016

ok I am so far behind all of you - I ordered a USB 3.0 stick, that san disk one. I used disk utility to erase it and format it as exFAT since that seems to be the FAT32 equivalent. Then I dragged and dropped a few songs from itunes - they were copied as mp3s....I am assuming that the sound wont be that great, right? I need to convert them to FLAC? If so, how?

aesculus | 6 juin 2016

@rdainer: While you can technically convert mp3 to FLAC you will gain nothing by doing so. It's like putting cheap beer in an expensive bottle. FLAC is just a carrier.

You need to go back and find the source material (ie a CD). Most mp3s were done at a low resolution when they were made because the original intent of use was for small, cheap mobile devices with poor sound quality that want quantity over quality. The standard can actually create pretty good quality but very rarely is that done.

eric.zucker | 6 juin 2016

Rdainer: exFAT won't work. You need the much older FAT32 format.

davediep | 6 juin 2016

@rdainer
exFAT won't work for your Tesla. You need the old FAT32 format.

I use "miniaide-fat32-formatter" and "Exact Audio Copy" as posted previously. Here are the links again:
http://download.cnet.com/MiniAide-Fat32-Formatter/3000-2094_4-75701815.html
http://download.cnet.com/Exact-Audio-Copy/3000-2140_4-10125142.html

rdainer | 6 juin 2016

@aesculus @davediep @eric.zucker - thank you ! I will break out the old CDs, and follow the cnet guidelines and let you all know how it goes!

bak_phy | 7 juin 2016

So... If you don't plan on using the USB for music there is no point in getting the sound system upgrade?

@ Eric. Copying a CD to FLAC wont add any information so having it stored at greater resolution shouldn't make a difference. Same if the original source was only recorded at 16 bits. Do you happen to know what the bit rate is at the original source.

aesculus | 7 juin 2016

A FLAC encoded file sourced from a CD will be exactly the same quality as the CD. But most music you get off of iTunes, the net, Google whatever in MP3 format has been significantly reduced in quality. Note there are ways to preserve much of the quality in MP3 but it's not generally done because most of the target playback devices or environment they are played within might not be able to play it, would trash the quality if it could or not allow it to be heard.

Eric was also pointing out you can exceed CD quality too by choosing other media as the source that has even higher resolution than CD's. IMHO that may be pushing it for the Tesla but what I like about using FLAC is that I can take the same files from my home audio system and copy them to the USB thumb drive with no conversion. Just a simple file copy, folder by folder, and I am good to go.

rdainer | 7 juin 2016

Well other than the additional speakers I sort of feel like I wasted my money on this then :/

aesculus | 7 juin 2016

@rdainer: The Model X premium sound system was supposedly designed from the ground up versus the Model S where they just added extra speakers and a more powerful amp. Most people who have heard the Model S premium vs the Model X, that would car, find the Model X much better.

If you do rip your CD's to FLAC and store them on the USB you will find the quality much better than from the phone via bluetooth or even the HiDef audio and streaming coming from the other sources.

eric.zucker | 7 juin 2016

I worked 16 years for a company where one division made high end professional audio and audiophile equipment.

24/96 is the minimum standard for pro recording, and audio is down-converted for burning onto CD.

bak_phy | 7 juin 2016

@Eric. Thanks. That's good to know. What about older stuff which was originally recorded on analog. I suppose it's hard to calculate an effective bit rate but if you had to?

Sound is usually analog to begin with. Play a violin, flute, harp, guitar, piano, sing... Electronic music might be digitally synthesized, and is heavily processed.

I've heard Analog recordings which were far superior to CDs. The issue is these wear out a little each time you play them. So it depends a lot on the quality of your equipment, the care you take handling the LP or tape, and how often you play it.

To answer your question I would preserve the most information possible when digitizing so I don't need to go back to the original recording and damage it further. Disc space is cheap.

bak_phy | 7 juin 2016

@ Eric yeah.... I kinda wish I hadn't thrown away all my disks after ripping them to mp3's (although 256bit so not a total waste) On the other hand it took forever to do so perhaps just buying the songs i still care about from a HD music place might be the thing to do.

rdainer | 7 juin 2016

drajaydas | 7 juin 2016

Waiting for my first Tesla. Does Tesla not play mp3 CD?

Mp3, yes but no CDs. You need to put the files on a USB stick.

snlnk | 7 juin 2016

Playing CD-quality music via flash drive through our X Premium Sound System is one of my favorite things to do, the sound is killer. Wind noise? I wouldn't know, since I'm always listening to the sound system!

robshall | 8 juin 2016

I don't have my X yet...but was wondering... Is it possible to put my entire music library on a USB and navigate thru it using the display? or do I have to limit it down to a handful of songs to navigate efficiently?

davediep | 8 juin 2016

@robshal
My music library is about 32GB so far and it's manageable. Tesla could have improved it more but it's not too bad right now.

jeffaa | 8 juin 2016

I think Tesla's music navigation from your USB stick is great. I have hundreds of albums on a stick and it's extremely easy to navigate to exactly what you want to listen to (by artist, album, song, genre, etc.).

oragne lovre | 12 juin 2016

I've just noticed that the sound quality is much better when I set the Climate fan speed at 3 or lower.

victorrmartinez | 15 juin 2016

I just bought my Model X 90D due sometime in August and added the premium sound package, even though there is no where to get the specifications as to it's configuration. Does anyone know what is included in the sound system, other than speaker count and XM compatability?

victorrmartinez | 15 juin 2016

The Tesla design studio package descriptions are so vague and do not provide much information other than overview. They should include links to expansive information for those of us whom can appreciate detail.

lilbean | 15 juin 2016

I've also noticed the design studio no longer shows the individual price of the options.

oragne lovre | 17 juin 2016

I tried to FLAC-rip an DVD-Audio disc and failed. I'll try to FLAC-rip an SACD later.
Anyone with know-how about ripping DVDs-Audio or SACDs, please post here to share with X music lovers.

oragne lovre | 20 juin 2016

I've successfully ripped a Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon SACD onto my USB stick, using FLAC EAD. Now I can fully enjoy my X Premium Sound System.

Triggerplz | 20 juin 2016

Speaking of the sound system I've had my P90DL for almost a month and just realized that I didn't have it set to Dolby surround sound and I also didn't know that XM or the FM will not play in Dolby surround sound, I upgrade the sound system so I'm glad I'm using it correctly now, I might as well get rid of XM since it's not Dolby surround there's a huge difference in the sound it's like the difference between the 75D and the P90DL.. Oops didn't mean to offend those waiting on the 75D

eric.zucker | 21 juin 2016

Yuck. Not for me - Surround is good for movies, but music is meant to be heard with two ears, stereo.

rolson1011 | 22 juin 2016

I am amused at hearing baby boomers talking about formatting usb sticks like its the most awesome thing ever.

lilbean | 22 juin 2016

It's sweet. I just asked my Mom if she knows what a USB stick is and she said she didn't know but she bought one because it was on sale. LOL!

houstonviper1 | 31 août 2016

Is there a good program to buy at best buy or online that will do all of this much simpler? What if all my music in on either Itunes or amazon prime, where I don't have the cd's, etc...

eric.zucker | 31 août 2016

iTunes can convert songs into a format of your choice. You pick that format in your CD ripping settings.

I haven't found out yet how to get iTunes to put the converted output in a different location, it all stays in my music library, titles are duplicated, original format and new one.

AyenTeslaMX | 2 septembre 2016

If you have HQ sound system, why would you play it with a compressed medium like bluetooth? This defeats the purpose. You need to play files like FLAC to experience the full impact of the HQ sound system.

houstonviper1 | 2 septembre 2016

some help please - I formatted a usb drive using my computers quick format to fat32. Then converted some mp3s to flac. I plugged it in this morning and the car didn't show it....am I doing something wrong?

Civilpe | 2 septembre 2016

Yes, converting mp3 files to flac keeps mp3's low quality. I had ripped my CD library to mp3 and had to rip again to flac to retain high resolution quality.

I would like to know is if anyone knows of a program that would allow ripping of dvd audio to flac. I have several dvd audio that I listen in my current vehicle and would appreciate hearing from anyone that was able to rip their dvd audio to flac.

eric.zucker | 2 septembre 2016

A CD is 16 bit audio, 44100 samples per second, uncompressed.

16 bit means the audio signal is represented in coarse steps, 65535 of them. When you listen to a piece that has large volume differences, in the quieter passages, your sound is represented with far fewer steps, it's very inaccurate.

44100 samples means the audio frequencies up to a highest of about 22 kHz are recorded. But the higher the pitch, the less accurate it gets, you lose the harmonics.

Of course converting to mp3, you squash the original sound even more. Dial the compression to high it sounds like a cassette left in a hot car too long and played over a telephone line.

Apple has "lossless" formats which offer reasonable quality without using up too much space. They do however process the sound to make it sound better ("Mastered for iTunes"). You may or not agree with the "improvements".

I buy my high definition audio in 24/96 which is 24 bits or 16'777'215 steps, and 96'000 samples per second. Some prefer 24/192, or even higher 24/384. There are good, lossless compression algorithms that make the file smaller without sacrificing any of the contents.

What is tricky is you never know if the music you buy was recorded in the better quality, or the seller took a regular CD and up-converted it, this means making the file bigger without improving the quality. You cannot re-invent what was thrown away from the original sound to fit onto a CD.

I have not experimented with SACD, DVD audio, or Blu-Ray audio. Certainly better than MP3 or CDs.

houstonviper1 | 3 septembre 2016

TIDAL.COM
this is a good site for HD music, with current titles

oragne lovre | 3 septembre 2016

I've been able to rip SACD music to USBs, using FLAC. I don't have such luck with my Audio-DVD music. The SACD music sounds fantastic with the X Premium Audio system, IMHO.

TeslaTap.com | 4 septembre 2016

@houstonviper1 "I formatted a usb drive using my computers quick format to fat32. I plugged it in this morning and the car didn't show it."

This usually works for drives under 32 GB. Above that Windows uses eFAT32 or NTFS which are not compatible. This article has step-by-step instructions on formatting larger drives (and a lot of other useful info). http://teslatap.com/usb-flash-drives-for-music/

Pages