Forums

An upgraded Model 3 or a top of the line Tundra

An upgraded Model 3 or a top of the line Tundra

I told my friend I ordered a Model 3 and expected to pay $45K with some upgrades. He told me with that money he would buy a top of the line Tundra (since he works in town). He added that Tesla car is safe, but it cant be safer than a Tundra ... :-)

What do you think?

David N | 15 juin 2016

I don't understand the purpose of your post.
For $45,000 you can get the choice of many auto models from many manufacturers.
A Model 3 is a sedan , no gas, all electric , on and on.
A Tundra is 13MPG gas hog, and a brute of a truck( I have a 2015).
What's your question again?

dachuyn | 15 juin 2016

@David ... My friend case is one of the example why some do not move to EV world yet... Perhaps to some ... apparently, not using gas isnt one of the top priorities for buying car :-)

Red Sage ca us | 15 juin 2016

KevinUW: I've wanted a car that didn't use gas since I was like, six.

PhillyGal | 15 juin 2016

@Kevin - If the Model S is any indication (and I think it is) then the Model 3 will be safer than the Tundra. It will have little to no chance of rolling over (heavy batteries in the floor) and a massive crumple zone up front which keeps the cabin and it's occupants uncompromised in a frontal crash.

But also - Please please please know that a $45k Model 3 does not cost the same as a $45k gas car. No oil changes, gasoline, emissions testing, transmission and significantly fewer moving parts. The cost to own a Model 3, if you keep it for 5-7 years, will likely be more in line with a gas car that has a sticker price of 10-15k less.

PhillyGal | 15 juin 2016

And a Tundra? A gas-sipper is it not.

carlk | 15 juin 2016

If that logic holds no one would buy a BMW 3, Audis A3/A4, Mercedes C class or even a Porsche Macan/Cayenne. It's a big fail.

SCCRENDO | 15 juin 2016

Why would you even ask that question on this forum? In time we need to impose higher gas taxes and more subsidies for EVs and that question would no longer be asked.

SCCRENDO | 15 juin 2016

Why would you even ask that question on this forum? In time we need to impose higher gas taxes and more subsidies for EVs and that question would no longer be asked.

bmalloy0 | 15 juin 2016

"Can't be safer than a Tundra"? The Tundra has a 4-star overall safety rating... The X eats that for breakfast... I'd be shocked if the 3 has that low a rating...

Badbot | 15 juin 2016

Tesla MS is the safest car on the planet! 5.4 stars out of maximum 5.0
It broke the crusher used to test for rollover.
The M3 is to be 5 stars as well

Badbot | 15 juin 2016

Oh I forgot the Trundra has undersize front rotors giving it crap stopping power

jordanrichard | 16 juin 2016

Ask your friend to provide proof that his Tundra is safer. There is a misconception that trucks are safer, simply due to their size and having heavy metal frames. Most full size trucks have bolt on bodies which are attached to the frame via a handful of bolts. Trucks are not required to meet the same safety regulations as passengers vehicles.

JeffreyR | 16 juin 2016

Do you need to carry large items w/ you, like for construction? Are you just going to commute and take road trips?

Before I started grinning I drove a VW Passat V6 w/ manual/stick and a MB E320. Model S is no comparison to either. It holds more stuff, is safer and much, much more efficient (~100 MPGe). My hope is that a Model ≡ will be to a BMW 3-Series as Model S is to a MB S-Class. That is Tesla's goal, and I believe they will accomplish it.

People that just commute in trucks are wasting their money and polluting. People that work w/ trucks need them.

@PhillyGal +1 "...a $45k Model 3 does not cost the same as a $45k gas car. No oil changes, gasoline, emissions testing, transmission and significantly fewer moving parts. The cost to own a Model 3, if you keep it for 5-7 years, will likely be more in line with a gas car that has a sticker price of $10-15k less."

SamO | 16 juin 2016

is there a bridge somewhere missing a guard?

george210 | 16 juin 2016

The Tesla Model ☰ is to have a sticker price of $35,000.-- and please hurry up Tesla. Toyota just kept my Prius v 'til Friday 6/17/16, which is more than 24 hours, to re-do some wiring. I can't wait to be rid of my Toyota...

Damntruckers | 19 juin 2016

Or, buy a base model Airstream? Top Ducati and POS used car?

All are different tools for different jobs.

Ross1 | 20 juin 2016

http://moneynation.com/can-buy-1-detroit-home/

Or for $45000 you might buy 45000 houses in Detroit

don | 20 juin 2016

I have a new Tundra limited

Why anyone would be trying to decide between the 2 confuses me....
If you need to tow heavy things long distances, then a Tundra may be a great choice. I love mine.

In addition to considering the 15mpg, if you have never driven a full size truck before, parking can be a challenge sometimes: not enough room in some parking spaces, too tall for some parking garages, limited visibility. Even with the parking sensors and great camera, my wife still does not like driving it.

I currently use a 4cyl Outback for my daily driver and will replace that with the M3.

Red Sage ca us | 20 juin 2016

Ross: Yeah... But if I buy real estate in Detroit, can they afford to give me my change back?

sp_tesla | 20 juin 2016

"Red Sage ca us | June 20, 2016
Ross: Yeah... But if I buy real estate in Detroit, can they afford to give me my change back?"

You seem to have a common sense of 2 years old or a robot!

Red Sage ca us | 20 juin 2016

sp_tesla: I'm the same guy I was when I was four.

And... I love giant robots. How did you know?

Bill Korea | 20 juin 2016

When consumers can't tell the difference between a car and a truck, we are in real trouble. Oh wait, here we are.

dachuyn | 20 juin 2016

... By the way, his daily work doesnt require towing at all, he just prefers a big SUV/truck over a small sedan ... adding that if he still gets paychecks, he would not mind to pay for gas ...

Hope the release version M3 will look fantastic (at least like what was shown) so that the M3 doesnt look like toy next to a huge and impressive loaded Tundra.

dachuyn | 20 juin 2016

By the way, current EVs from other manufactures do look like toys...

george210 | 20 juin 2016

Tundra = Trash that's why not. Once you've driven a Tesla you won't want to drive an ICE-machine ever again! Thank You Elon & Tesla !!

Rocky_H | 21 juin 2016

@dachuyn, Quote: "he just prefers a big SUV/truck over a small sedan [...] Hope the release version M3 will look fantastic (at least like what was shown) so that the M3 doesnt look like toy next to a huge and impressive loaded Tundra."

It's not going to matter what it looks like. A car is not going to look like or drive like a truck. I do have a friend at work, and he just doesn't like driving cars, because they sit so low on the ground. He likes to drive a truck because he is higher up above the road. The Model 3 is still going to be a car, not a truck, so that factor will not change.

Red Sage ca us | 24 juin 2016

Maybe the problem is that I'm not an extremely short or vertically challenged person... But this incredible need to 'sit up high' has truly perplexed me. Because of it, the freeways throughout Los Angeles are clogged with seven seat SUVs that have a driver and no passengers. And those huge vehicles all block each other's view of the road ahead and around them. Traffic has grown slower and slower with the propagation of SUVs - which overtook monster trucks around here at least twenty years ago. I have heard ladies say that they "...want to see!" -- but there's nothing to see beyond the heavily tinted rear ends of other SUVs. I have heard men say they like to "...command the road!", but with more and more SUVs on the road, they are surrounded by like minded individuals who similarly want to impose their will on others through intimidation, rather than being courteous drivers. That was made even worse when it came to the HUMMER phenomenon, where it seemed people got every option except the gunnery position.

I want a low, swift, lightweight vehicle. I want to drive the road, race the course, challenge the track -- not the surrounding traffic. I don't have to see over other cars to know where I'm going.

Bill Korea | 24 juin 2016

The latest pickup trucks are enormous. It is no longer possible to even reach the hood to wash it by hand. This class of vehicle was based around carrying 4'x8' sheets of material. A 60 year old pickup can carry the cargo, but it looks miniscule in comparison. And yes, most of these trucks spend their time on the road, empty. And since the supposedly price-sensitive consumer is more than willing to pay for uselessly luxurious and large vehicles, the manufacturers can't stop building them. This industry is based around marketing to ignorant, insecure consumers. The manipulative Hummer marketing history is open for all to see, with plenty of civilian sheep to keep GM going for three generations: H1-H3.

dachuyn | 27 juin 2016

Bill Korea ... I agree, mostly. Big truck is useful occasionally, but true they run empty and burn gas most of time.

And if you are a defensive driver, Tundra is very safe (if some careless teen happens to hit yours)...

GoneSailing | 27 juin 2016

If you put your Tesla order in before April 1st, you should totally cancel your Tesla order. If you ordered after the 1st, you should keep your Tesla order.

Bill Korea | 28 juin 2016

It is naïve, but all too common to believe a vehicle is safe just because it is large. Along with getting a bigger box for your money, this is part of the marketing. Relatively poor handling and poor visibility lead to way more "accidents" than safety in the light truck segment, and there are always larger objects, both on and off the road for you to hit. There seem to be many products with limited and specific benefits, that are wastefully purchased for general-purpose use. And you can bet that after justifying such a purchase the consumer is not likely to be much more objective in the future.

Badbot | 28 juin 2016

Forget that the truck is bigger, the tesla IS safer!

Joshua Burstyn | 28 juin 2016

@PhillyGal :

+1

Joshua Burstyn | 28 juin 2016

@dachuyn:

Your friend may like the appearance of a truck or the utility, but soon enough cap & trade and carbon taxes will make buying gasoline increasingly onerous. (As if it wasn't already.)
Buy a vehicle with a more forward-looking stance and forget about gasmobiles.

dave.m.mcdonough | 29 juin 2016

The Tundra is obviously a superior choice if you prefer the sluggish throttle response, lack of low-end power, and noise which we are all accustomed to with gas engines. Plus with it's steel construction you won't miss out on those endearing rust spots which add so much character. There's a political reason too: Based on what I've seen, spending that money on a superior product which is made in the US is not actually the American way! So clearly Tundra is the answer.

Red Sage ca us | 29 juin 2016

dave.m.mcdonough: Aw, shucks. You jes might make somebody blush...

dachuyn | 29 juin 2016

Nice truck :-) Classy ...

Red Sage ca us | 29 juin 2016

dachuyn: Thank you. It matches my eyes.

dachuyn | 30 juin 2016

A distracting question - Would it make you a friendlier person to drive a truck or an EV?

tesla | 30 juin 2016

Well as my sister likes to say: "Big truck ... small ____"

dave.m.mcdonough | 1 juillet 2016

@dachuyn what a strange question. You can drive like a self-important jerk in any vehicle!

EaglesPDX | 1 juillet 2016

@dachhyn He added that Tesla car is safe, but it cant be safer than a Tundra ... What do you think?

What does Insurance Institute of Highway Safety say is what counts. www.iihs.org. Tundra fails Small Overlap test. Ford 150 is higher rated for safety.

Buying a clumsy pickup for city driving seems dumb. Subaru Legacy with Eyesight is the safest car over last 10 years. No one has died in a Subaru Legacy crash in the last 10 years beating out Mercedes, Volvo etc. For city driving and tight parking spots, some of the smaller Subaru's are highly rated by IIHS and have the Eyesight system.

IIHS has not tested Tesla's yet (cost too much and too few customers) but likely will buy a T3 for testing and due to volume of owners.

You do Tesla joining IIHS in appealing to National Highway Traffic Safety about upgrading safety ratings.