Forums

Scratches in windshield

Scratches in windshield

I just picked up my Model S this past Friday (06-17). I love the car to death, but on the first sunny day that I drove it (06-20) I noticed some fine lines at the top drivers side portion of the windshield in an area about the size of my palm. These lines sparkled when sunlight passed through them leading me to believe they are scratches. However, try as I may, they are not detectable as ridges either on the outside, nor the inside--and they do not wash off (I originally thought it was some adhesive left over from protective covering the vehicles have during transit). If I look closely, it seems these scratches are inside the glass--I believe auto glass is multiple laminated layers--correct me if I'm wrong.

Advice? Contact Tesla service?

Thanks,

jim-reynolds@hotmail.com

Silver2K | 21 juin 2016

I think it uv protection. Pano has it also on my car

Silver2K | 21 juin 2016

I think it uv protection. Pano has it also on my car

Tropopause | 21 juin 2016

Jim,

Are you in Pensacola, FL?

jim-reynolds | 21 juin 2016

No. Seattle WA.

@SilverP85plus: Are you suggesting this is a defect of the uv protection? If I look closely they look like fine white lines (when viewed in diffused light) which refract light in bright sunlight in a manner different than the rest of the windshield.

Silver2K | 21 juin 2016

no, it's not a defect

Silver2K | 21 juin 2016

Yes, I understand about coatings. However, that doesn't explain why one specific area has observably different refractive qualities than the rest of the windshield. This literally looks like someone placed super-fine white cat whiskers between the laminated glass--but only in 1 area. And that's not a defect?

Silver2K | 21 juin 2016

Take a photo and send it to a service advisor. That probably your best bet.

Tldickerson | 21 juin 2016

Jim, I was in the auto glass business for over 45 years. If it's in the lamination the dealer should have no problems getting it replaced for you. I just picked up my new Model S and I'll tell you their quality control has gone to the birds. I'm hoping to have them just get me a new car because I really don't want a quarter of the car repainted to fix the poor paint job.

Haggy | 22 juin 2016

Take it to the service center. They will replace it without question if it's a defect. If it's leftover adhesive, it will come off. I did have that problem when I had glass replaced on my roof, and it looked like scratches. Tesla fixed it quickly with a razor blade. One way or another, they will take care of it.

dmanning524 | 25 septembre 2019

Hi Jim - I received my 2019 Model 3 in June and have noticed the same issue you seem to describe. Was the issue ever resolved for you?