Forums

Full at supercharger? Move it or pay 40 cents a minute to park there...

Full at supercharger? Move it or pay 40 cents a minute to park there...

robert.s.bjekich | 16 décembre 2016

Great first step. Next should be a tow truck.

lilbean | 16 décembre 2016

@Robert, Haha! That would be awesome!

vperl | 16 décembre 2016

Second offense $1.00 a minute.

O:-)

RedShift | 16 décembre 2016

Not surprised. Full support for this move.

Bighorn | 16 décembre 2016

Curious how much people who think this is genius have actually road tripped in a Tesla. Commuting in CA doesn't count.

Very poorly conceived since 95% of charge stations never fill. That number will presumably change with broad release of the Model 3, but it makes sense to make the limitation conditional until then, both for the benefit of the driver and the host business.

johndoeeyed | 16 décembre 2016

Whether a station is full or not, has no bearing on not parking after having charged.

Bighorn | 16 décembre 2016

Of note, I've been to more superchargers than anyone and john doeeyed has never even seen one.

johndoeeyed | 16 décembre 2016

@Bighorn
Tesla made the policy, so you are telling them that you know better than Tesla.
You have no idea if I have seen a supercharger, and it is irrelevant anyway.

skymaster | 16 décembre 2016

Yea, we don't need any stinking parking fees out here in the barren wasteland of Arkansas....or is that Wyoming!!

wraithnot | 17 décembre 2016

This makes perfect sense for supercharger locations that tend to get crowded. But it seems a bit heavy handed to implement this immediately and without any input from current owners and unnecessary for lightly used locations at the edge of the supercharger network. At those locations you often need a full charge to get to your next charging spot and the app is very poor at predicting exactly when a full charge will be achieved. And sometimes you need to walk more than five minutes to find a decent place to eat or a decent hotel to spend the night.

tranhv68 | 17 décembre 2016

When is this effective?

Mike83 | 17 décembre 2016

I like it. ☮

Silver2K | 17 décembre 2016

I think it's a good idea to listen to individuals with experience and those that have over 100k of actually road trip miles on their cars. Tesla doesn't know everything and at times policies are implemented without proper research.

Dramsey | 17 décembre 2016

In the three years I've been driving my Mod S, I've only had to wait for supercharging once: at the four-stall charger in Folsom, CA.

However, I've read many reports here of hogged chargers, especially in crowded CA locations...

So overall it seems a good idea. I do, however, wonder how Tesla will charge infractions. As far as I know they do not have my credit card number.

Dramsey

when you take the car in for service.

Bighorn | 17 décembre 2016

@john doeeyed

Yes, I do. Experience counts.
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/810135528783937537

EVRider | 17 décembre 2016

The 5-minute grace period seems too short. If I'm on a road trip and charging while having lunch or dinner, do I really have to run out and move the car if it finishes charging before I finish eating, especially if there are other chargers available?

It would be okay if they imposed the time limit only when no other chargers are available. I don't mind interrupting my meal to move my car if someone needs the charger.

EVRider | 17 décembre 2016

One additional thought: Won't this encourage people to set their charge limit higher than necessary, so the car won't finish charging before they finish doing whatever they're doing? I can crank the limit to 100% to guarantee the car won't finish charging before I'm ready to move on.

SCCRENDO | 17 décembre 2016

@Dramsey and Silver. Hope it never comes to this but they can ask for your credit card before allowing you to charge

@EVRider
It absolutely would have had the unintended consequence of people taking more charge. Good they fixed it for the 95% of chargers where it was unnecessary.

SCCRENDO | December 17, 2016
@Dramsey and Silver. Hope it never comes to this but they can ask for your credit card before allowing you to charge

----------------------------------

very true, it's their property :)

RedShift | 17 décembre 2016

@bh

Yeah, it's good they fixed it for people living outside of the metros. (Like they have fixed a few other things! ;-) )

@silver and SCCRENDO

They don't really have my credit card on file, do they? I don't recall giving it out. Will they post signs at those superchargers that are not free to park at? If, say I come to Tejon Ranch at 1 AM and find it totally empty, will I still be charged for overstaying? (I fell sleep in the car, your honor!)

red

I'm sure they will have a pop-up on the screen to warn owners when they start supercharging or even a pop up on their phones via app

KP in NPT | 17 décembre 2016

@Redshift - I am guessing they will require all owners to put a CC on file - otherwise supercharging will not be allowed.

Many months ago, when speculation re: how Model 3 supercharging would be handled was raging, someone saw in the source code on all "My Tesla" profiles (not just reservation holders, but owners too) that there were lines pertaining to entering credit card info. I think Electrek reported on it. It was removed from the source code shortly after because it caused a lot of speculation at the time.

J.T. | 17 décembre 2016

Even if they have your credit card number on file they cannot charge anything without your consent for each transaction.

they can if you digitally sign a disclaimer allowing them to do so

KP in NPT | 17 décembre 2016

I imagine when they switch over to the paid supercharger scheme for people who order after this year, they will require all of us to put a CC on file - for those of us with free supercharging, it will be for these idle fees.

+1 mp1156

Starbucks has my card on file for auto reloads and I don't see why Tesla will not require it :)

RedShift | 17 décembre 2016

One final thought on this subject: if you've ever been to Fremont supercharger, you know it almost always filled with a few service or loaner cars charging, and for a very long time. Will Tesla crack down on their own employees? I used to visit this site a year ago on a monthly basis just to check out new cars. I don't do it anymore coz there is a line of cars waiting, and I am not that excited to see what's new anymore. :-)

Here's the thing--Tesla doesn't own the parking spot, so they probably have no legal ground to charge you rent to use it. If you are plugged in, different story. They don't have the wherewithal or authority to tow or charge a fee for an ICE vehicle occupying a spot, so how is the policy any more than an abuse of its customers? I'm not discarding the whole concept, but I do think its vulnerable to legal challenge.

@Big

I don't see the confusion, you explained it properly in your first 2 sentences. they can write and change policies for their property (SC)

Captain_Zap | 17 décembre 2016

No problem. Not done with dinner yet? Just crank up the charge to 100%.
Forty cents a minute is a bit much, especially when it is a hike to any facilities.

you can actually give yourself 40 minutes extra on the supercharger if you wanted to be a real ahole.

arrive at 20% soc and raise at 10% increments every 5 minutes your car stops charging

or raise it 5% at a time for 80 minutes!

@silver
The ground is not their property, so if you're not plugged in, they have no jurisdiction. Somebody yesterday said the meter would keep running until the car physically moved--I didn't think that was a logical assumption, because if you unplug the car, Tesla has no property rights.

@big

exactly, I agreed with you on these 2 sentences

"Here's the thing--Tesla doesn't own the parking spot, so they probably have no legal ground to charge you rent to use it. If you are plugged in, different story."

you can stay forever if not plugged in :)

I really don't think that Tesla wants to get into the policing system. They generally try work on the honor system. That is the basis of the supercharger system. That philosophy is also present with unmoderated forums and even to a certain degree in the service model. It's unfortunate that jerks are universal and ruin it for all. Supercharger hogs are likely the reason for charging for supercharging. Had there not been abuse I believe supercharging would have remained free. I can see Tesla resisting the temptation to start fining people but if jerks find a way to sabotage the system for their own selfish purposes some sort of action may be required.

@SCCR
When they started hiring "concierges" at problem spots, it was obvious they recognized an issue with some drivers. I'm all for penalizing those who muck up the works and as a shareholder have no issue with new revenue streams.

this policy will help with sales. I'm sure many "on the fence" are thinking about the "what if..".

@Bighorn. As a fellow shareholder i don't think we are going to get rich this way. It's like cities hiring more cops to generate funds by setting ticket writing quotas. Let Tesla focus on their cars, batteries and solar panels to boost earnings.

@SCCR
Agreed, but collecting some codified revenue and saving several hundred thousand dollars in valet sub-contracts seems more prudent and standardized. Plus it scales regardless of the locale.

sbelenit | 17 décembre 2016

should make it exponential. .40c pm for 10 minutes, than $1 pm for next 20 minutes, $2 pm for next 30 minutes, $5 pm from there.

David N | 17 décembre 2016

It's a problem in some areas, and Tesla probably foresees it getting worse with Model 3. They are just trying to nip it in the bud.
if a few didn't abuse it (charging and parking) we'd be just fine.
It'll all work out.

David N | 17 décembre 2016

Let's not over think this, Isn't all this just a matter of courtesy?

johndoeeyed | 17 décembre 2016

@Bighorn
No you don't.
Thanks for the link BTW.

johndoeeyed | 17 décembre 2016

The first 5 minutes are waived if you unplug. 10 minutes will cost $US4. People complaining that it cost them $4 for overstaying 10 minutes are probably those that the new system needs to target.

brando | 17 décembre 2016

Brilliant Charger Policy and execution. Just perfect!

Doublelift | 17 décembre 2016

A small financial penalty will not motivate entitled folks who have the discretionary income to use common courtesy. And, for the most part, that's the cohort that caused this problem.

They tend to consider their time important, and time seems like the motivation. I'm believing that a financial penalty will not have much effect. Wish I could think of another disincentive to rudeness...

Maybe for every minute you overstay, the charging wand will remain locked in your car for the same number of minutes after the first time you try to remove it.

Maybe after 5 minutes your car starts discharging at the same rate it charged, until you unplug it, move it, and start charging again.

Maybe the car should shift to Valet Mode for twice the time you overstayed your charge.

Dunno. I just can see some folks thinking "I'll pay the $24 to park there an hour, what a bargain while I'm shopping!" Monetary fines are not the answer for them.

Hyperstrike | 17 décembre 2016

I will say this. Given that a 100% charge can take over an hour, that the comparison to parking at a gas pump is facile at best. At a gas pump, you get out of the car, pump for 2-5 minutes, maybe hit the store for a couple minutes and then go away.

Qualitatively, charging a Tesla automobile is quite different. And while the charging offers fairly accurate time, it's not perfect.

So, if your car hits full a bit early, you start getting dinged parking fees?

Howsabout implementing a system where you AUTOMATICALLY get an alert/SMS/etc once the car hits 90-95%. This gives the owner a couple minutes to finish up what they're doing and get back to the car.

Rather than basically requiring the owner to sit there and babysit the car for an indefinite period...

johndoeeyed | 18 décembre 2016

@Hyperstrike
From the linked article:
"The Tesla app allows owners to remotely monitor their vehicle, alerting them when their charge is nearly complete and again once fully charged. "

Pages