Forums

Reco: Garage door opener w/ explicit open / close control

Reco: Garage door opener w/ explicit open / close control

Just like modern TVs now have separate signals for on vs. off for smart remotes & automation. Has anybody heard of a garage door opener with separate signals for open vs. close? Bonus if Tesla had the foresight to support them for the auto open / close functionality.

Anecdote: My wife was unloading some groceries when I got home. My Tesla's auto garage open helpfully closed it on her, getting the door stuck against the hatch of my wife's car!

EVRider | 5 janvier 2017

I don't think most people would view separate open/close buttons as a good thing, since it would double the number of buttons on the remote.

Tesla uses HomeLink technology to open/close your garage, so it's limited by what HomeLink supports. HomeLink does have a "next-generation" technology that provides two-way communication, but I don't know how many garage door openers today support that. The two-way communication would allow a car to determine whether the garage door is currently open or closed, so the car could avoid doing what it did to your wife's car.

Bill_75D | 5 janvier 2017

Turn on auto open. Turn off auto close. Problem solved.

Hart | 5 janvier 2017

Not so, Bill_60D. Auto open will still close on approach if the garage is already open. If you want to be absolutely sure, don't use auto open or auto close, but do it "manually" when you can see what's happening.

carlk | 5 janvier 2017

Yeah that happened to my wife too. I don't know if there will ever be separate on and off buttons but we did learn to pay more attention.

reed_lewis | 5 janvier 2017

I left the auto open and close off. Too much worry to see the door come down on my nice new car.

ir | 6 janvier 2017

Sounds like the garage door opener business is ripe for disruption :P

On the subject of extra buttons, TVs simply use 3 signals: on, off, toggle. The basic remote has the classic toggle button but if you use a smart all-in-one remote it can take advantage of the idempotent signals instead.

TeslaTap.com | 6 janvier 2017

I find open when approaching option works great. Since it only signals the door when you are away from the garage and you can see the door when you drive in, even if it's the wrong state and the door closes instead of opening, you'll see it in plenty of time stop.

Haven't felt comfortable with the close option and I've never used it. Not Tesla's fault, but openers really should have separate open and close controls. Maybe someday...

darelldd | 3 juin 2019

A couple of years late to the party here. But wow... how has this not been solved yet? There's really no way to properly automate the garage door until there is a discrete open and close. I'm amazed that this isn't at least a retrofit option for modern doors yet. 2.5 years later, and nothing has budged on this....

>> I don't think most people would view separate open/close buttons as a good thing, since it would double the number of buttons on the remote. <<

It would not have to double the number of buttons. A "dumb" remote with one button would still function just fine. But the *option* to use two buttons would be most welcome.

>> Turn on auto open. Turn off auto close. Problem solved. <<

In fact this is the entire problem trying to be solved here. Auto "open" is the same signal as auto "close." The car doesn't know if the door is opened or closed. My car has auto open enabled, and if I'm home working in the garage with the door open... when my wife comes home in the Tesla, the door automatically closes when her "open" signal is sent. It is a problem.

>> Sounds like the garage door opener business is ripe for disruption :P <<

Exactly!

>> Not Tesla's fault, but openers really should have separate open and close controls. <<

Exactly again.

p.c.mcavoy | 3 juin 2019

I have both auto open on arrival and auto close on departure set up and have not had the issue with it causing the door to close on my spouse. Now one difference for me versus what I expect several of you are experiencing is our garage has individual doors for each bay. This way even if my spouse does have their door open when I approach it doesn’t close their door, but correctly opens mine. I realize help for those of you that have a singe multi-bay door and I might think about configuring my settings differently if I had one.

Now what I do fully agree with is not allowing summon to auto open or close the door. That I don’t trust, but for the case where you have a unique door with opening for just one car, I find the capability today works well.

p.c.mcavoy | 3 juin 2019

... I realize this isn’t help for those of you that have a single multi-bay door ....

murphyS90D | 4 juin 2019

The car can use the ultrasonic sensors to determine if the door is open or closed.
Summon works in or out of my garage whether the door is open or closed.
They could also use the radar with my steel door but I don't think it would work very well with a wood door.

p.c.mcavoy | 4 juin 2019

@murphyS90D - Ultrasonics have very limited range. The minimum distance away you can set homelink to trigger is 10 feet. That's way more than my ultrasonic sensors reliability show any indication. I actually have homelink set to trigger on approach from 70' away (an that's not the max setting) and clearly no way ultrasonics can handle that. There also is no requirement for the car to be facing the target to trigger. Mine actually triggers from the street as I'm just starting my turn into the driveway and at that stage my car is still pointed down the street.

Now I don't claim my use case is representative of all owners, but just illustrates that trying to rely upon either ultrasonic or radar also are problematic.

murphyS90D | 5 juin 2019

@p.c.mcavoy
I said with summon. That starts and ends with the car a couple of feet from the door.

p.c.mcavoy | 5 juin 2019

@murphyS90D - Your very first statement in your post simply states “The car can use the ultrasonic sensors to determine if the door is open or closed“. That statement did not have any qualification with regard to summon to provide me the context that you were only referencing the case of auto open/close with summon. I therefore did not interpret your statement to be only applicable to use with summon.

As a college communications prof drilled into me close to 40 years ago, “It’s not what you think you said, but what they think they heard that defines the message”.

TeslaTap.com | 5 juin 2019

@p.c.mcavoy - While on-screen ultrasonic range is short, the sensors (on AP2 cars) goes out to 30 feet. Still, it would be a fairly complex problem that would likely require use of the cameras too as not all cars drive straight to the garage door, but have a sharp 90 degree turn in.

One solution would be a Tesla designed, battery operated bluetooth transmitter mounted on the door that would signal to the car the open/close state. Would be independant of the many different garage door openers and likely more reliable. If designed right, it would allow multiple doors with unique codes for each door.

Myself, I use auto-open only now. Maybe out of 1000 uses, it has only been wrong once (my fault). I used auto-close for a few months, but never felt comfortable with it even though it never made an error.