Forums

Screen tech, OLED, LED, LCD?

Screen tech, OLED, LED, LCD?

Having re-watched the reveal videos numerous times, it seems to me that, even with the primarily dark/black background, the screen in the alpha cars was putting out a lot of light. And, having it located higher and closer to the driver may not be the best thing for nighttime driving. I'd love to see an OLED, panel for true/inky blacks, but at least a multi-zone LED backlit screen.

The other thing I notice was that the music / media controls were on the far right of the screen. While having them higher may still keep them within reach of the driver, I question whether that layout will take the drivers glance too far from the road ahead, especially considering one will have to look long enough to accurately touch icons / buttons to control the functions beyond what can be accomplished with basic steering wheel controls.

Thoughts, comments...?

Shadowmist | 20 février 2017

While your concerns can definitely be valid due to the alpha being just that, an "alpha". It could possibly be that they haphazardly just threw together certain things/designs together especially on the inside at the time of the first reveal. Heck no one really knows anything for sure as of now :/

topher | 21 février 2017

Go check out a Model S.

Thank you kindly.

andy.connor.e | 21 février 2017

You can adjust the brightness as needed. And if i am correct, currently on Model S you can set the touchscreen to adjust its brightness at a specific time, like going into "night mode".

Is that right?

djharrington | 21 février 2017

Andy, I leave mine on auto brightness and it constantly adjust due to ambient brightness levels, as well as switching between day and night mode automatically. It's never been too bright or too dim for me, so I've never messed with the settings any further.

Garyeop | 21 février 2017

Two words. Voice activated.

holophoenix70 | 21 février 2017

"You can adjust the brightness as needed."

It isn't as simple as that. If a teaditional backlit LCD panel is used, then lowering the brightness will make the screen quite difficult to through changing lighting conditions, such as those experienced at dusk in a nearly all glass cabin. You could argue that brightness adjustment by ambient light sensing technology could help with that, but I've never seen such technology respond anywhere near fast enough to deal the rapidly changing light conditions drivers get under certain common conditions.

Using an LED panel wouldn't help much either. It's better, sure, but it's not that much of an improvement as it doesn't differed in its operation drastically from that of an LCD. Indeed, they both employer similar technology.

An OLED on the other hand would be able to cope very well with the kind of conditions drivers will experience. This is because, in theory, only the individual pixels that need to be displayed will light, so you can lower the brightness without having all the light bleed from behind the display, simply because there is no extra light required behind the display. Also, the panels are significantly thinner, so they would fit the display mount we saw in the demo very well. That said, OLED's come with their own problems. For one, they are still expensive to manufacture. Plus they still suffer from more dead pixels per square inch of manufactured display compared to their LCD counterparts.

OLED is the way forward for physical 2D displays though.

TeslaTap.com | 21 février 2017

I love OLED (and have both a phone and TV with it). That said, I doubt customers are willing to pay $500-1000 extra for something with little benefit. Once you've lived with a Model S or X for more than a week, you find the LCD screen and software work great in all lighting conditions. In fact, an OLED may not work in a car in direct sun - they just are not as bright as an LCD.

Your concern at night is misplaced. The screen doesn't just get darker, the colors used in the display change completely between night and day. For example, the map has a white background in the day, but black background at night. It's hard to describe in words, but the Tesla system works very well. I've never seen a complaint on the forums in 4 years about the displays Tesla uses and how it all works.

chris.pribe | 21 février 2017

The benefit may well be a function of placement: The higher the screen (to a point), the more benefit to minimizing unnecessary light in the driver’s peripheral vision.

We got my wife the Audi eTron PHEV. It has a small display that rises out of the top of the dash at the center. While it is nice that it too switches colors for night driving, it is even nicer that there is a button that lets you retract the screen when you aren’t using it. We each almost invariably use that button when we drive at night.

If Tesla goes with a HUD, maybe they could have an easy way to turn off the center display?

In any case, I’d love to see deeper blacks than LED and would be willing to pay a little more for that.

djharrington | 22 février 2017

@Holo - "It isn't as simple as that"

You're correct. It's even more simple. Let the auto function do its thing. It works beautifully. You guys seem to be armchair-engineering a thing which is not broken in the first place.

SoFlaModel3 | 22 février 2017

I see you mentioned 2 points... 1) Brightness and 2) UI.

I'm not sure on #1, but for #2, if you watch some of the videos from the original unveil there is a clip where the driver specifically says the UI is nowhere near final. It was thrown together to operate the car for the demos.

massimob30 | 22 février 2017

OLED w/ 4k resolution, because, why not :)

andy.connor.e | 22 février 2017

@djharrington

Thanks, thats pretty much along the lines of what i was talking about. Should not worry too much about that. Tesla would not make a screen that is either to bright to look at, or is not bright enough to see lol.

JPs M≡ | 22 février 2017

I too heard the comments about the UI not being a finished product. So, I will trust that the Tesla engineers will make the right calls there. But personally, I'm struggling to see the right 1/3 rd of the screen being incredibly useful for the driver. Hopefully, Tesla will prove me wrong!

As for the brightness concern, unfortunately, I am not lucky enough to be able to afford an S or an X, so I can't speak from that experience. But what I do know is that, even when switching to black background, darker "night-time" color scheme, and reducing brightness according to the ambient light sensor, the small 7" back-lit LCD screen in the center console of my current vehicle still puts out a significant amount of light with it's "grey-black". If one were to raise that up level with the top of the steering wheel and make it 15" like the one in the M3, I still think it would be worth some concern. I'm sure that the quality of the components in the Tesla will be better than what I have, but that doesn't my strong opinion that an OLED display would be better!

kristiyan | 31 mars 2020

I started up 3D inside a game. It took me 30s to see the ghosting on the highest point of the screen as it was just because with 3D. First I thought it was my deficiency, and looked through web here and there. There was just a single individual that had a similar issue and it was here in the discussions.