Forums

Homeowner to Renting Condo

Homeowner to Renting Condo

So I sold my house and am now renting a condo since it was a good time to sell. It was only just me in the house and after 14 years of owning, waiting for things to fail and crossing my fingers during hurricanes, I'm good with just renting. While still a homeowner, I ordered the 3 on the first day of availability. The condo is upstairs and the garage is detached in the parking lot connected to 3 other garages. They pay for the electric since it's just one long (I'm assuming strong amperage) wire that runs through all the garages. It splits into a light bulb which has one outlet that unfortunately is used by the garage door opener. No other sockets or any other electric possible in garage. I have still yet to talk to condo association but it doesn't look good. I know the owner of the condo had asked them just before I moved in about electric vehicles but as of yet there are none. Still looking into options.

KP in NPT | 19 avril 2017

You could always have an electrician out to assess the situation, and if the quote is reasonable offer to pay for the installation of a 14-50. Make the point that it could help with future renters. You could offer to pay a bit more rent to make up for the electricity cost.

KP in NPT | 19 avril 2017

@rdovale - ignore the troll - if his post is even still here by he time you see it.

rdovale | 20 avril 2017

@KP Where would he tap into for electric? It's definitely not that one wire going across, there's 3 other garages connected.

KP in NPT | 20 avril 2017

I have no idea - but an electrician would know what his situation is. If the garage has electricity and the box isn't too far away then maybe a line can be run. The question is how much it would cost - which is why I said "if reasonable."

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 avril 2017

It's possible that the landlord can arrange for the local electric utility to provide a dedicated meter for the parking area. An electrician could then design and build a distribution system for recharging renters' vehicles. The landlord would be responsible for the electric utility bill, but he could recoup his investment by charging a monthly access fee to those wishing to use the service.

polaris | 21 avril 2017

Maybe move? Guessing any lease you may have signed will be up before you actually take delivery of the vehicle.

AngeloM | 21 avril 2017

@KP I'm in the same situation. Not willing to give up the condo living, but I also couldn't pass up on this beautiful car. So I've resigned to just living off of superchargers. There's plenty in the area, whether it's at a Whole Foods or at a highway rest area, I will make it work.

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 avril 2017

It would be great if there were government incentives for EV charging facilities for condo associations, rental apartments, public parking lots, etc. This would dramatically lower the anxiety of owning a BEV for most folks who do not live in a typical environment where home charging is possible.

lilbean | 21 avril 2017

Our Hawaii condo complex installed a charge point charger.

melinda.v | 22 avril 2017

Lonestar - there was a 30% credit for installing EV infrastructure that just expired 12/31/16. wasn't limited to condos but available to any individual or business

SamO | 22 avril 2017

@Angelo,

Don't forget the Destination Charging where you might go out for a dinner or drinks a few times per month. I find that dinner (for myself) is always less than a tank of gas.

Carl Thompson | 22 avril 2017

@SamO:
"I find that dinner (for myself) is always less than a tank of gas."

You eat at some cheap restaurants! ;-)

Carl

SamO | 22 avril 2017

Shutters on the Beach Hotel Destination Charging
https://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/dining/coast

I order:
Tito’s Mule - Tito’s vodka, fresh lime, ginger beer
1 dozen Oysters of the day
Shishito Peppers, Lime Salt

$37.00 + $1/hour parking + tip = less than to fill my last BMW 5 Series Sedan $3.39/gallon X 16 gallons

JayInJapan | 22 avril 2017

Mmmmmm, shishito....

Efontana | 23 avril 2017

Looks like a standard home charger will work.

The duty cycle on the garage door openers is nothing. People don't cycle them all night.

My expectation is that the Tesla charger is smart enough to get off the line when someone is using the garage door.

How far do you commute each day?

You should be able to pay a flat rate for the miles you put on the car.

AngeloM | 23 avril 2017

@SamO - Exactly, more and more places are installing charging stations. My local brewery even has a few spots now. And all the EV spots I see are usually empty still (I expect that to change when the Model3 comes out). I even went to JFK (one of the busiest airports in the country) last year with a friend who has an EV. Found out they only had 5 EV spots at the entire airport! We never thought we would be able to park the car for a week, but guess what? Only 1 was in use and there were no problems leaving the car charging for a week. Blew my mind.

SamO | 23 avril 2017

@Angelo,

And we Model 3 owners will be able to "vote with our dollars" and support business and take the "free charging" discount that comes with creating great "charging relationships."

At these early stages, if I go somewhere without charging, I ask them to install some Destination Charging stations. Tell them "they are free" for customers and business. Electricity is the only ongoing expense and is a small marketing expense "mouse nuts."

My family and I have used dozens of Destination Charging locations from Airbnb, wineries, hotels, malls, breweries and resorts. The complement of Supercharging with Destination Charging + home charging results in a patchwork quilt of great options.

@JayInJapan,

Have you ever eaten at Manpuku on Sawtelle? Amazing Tokyo BBQ.

Red Sage ca us | 23 avril 2017

I don't think I've been to Manpuku... But I have been to Asahi Ramen (YUM!), Mizu 212, and I think, Morinoya on Sawtelle, just North of Olympic.

SamO | 23 avril 2017

Miso tan-tan-men at http://dosankolarmenusa.com/menu/
Is my favorite. Just around the corner.

And shinsai and negi salads from Manpuku.

Now I'm hungry. :-)

rdovale | 23 avril 2017

The only plug is being used by garage door opener ;0

SamO | 23 avril 2017

@rdovale,

You can get up to 75 miles/day from a "regular" plug. Any emergencies can be filled by Supercharging and Destination Charging.

rdovale | 23 avril 2017

That's what I'm saying, there are no regular plugs in there. No superchargers in my area either, just a few level 1&2's.

rdovale | 23 avril 2017

I think I'll bow out this time for car, wait for housing market to take a dump again, get a small cottage at great price, with a garage of course because it's Florida, then look into getting Tesla. The plan is bulletproof. :)

SamO | 23 avril 2017

Tesla is a thinking persons car. Not all are equipped for ownership.

KP in NPT | 23 avril 2017

Rvodale - you have bent to a troll (eagles) whose purpose on this forum is to spread FUD and talk people out of buying EVs - sad, really.

Lonestar10_1999 | 23 avril 2017

The truth is, the infrastructure needed to make BEV as versatile as ICE is not quite there yet, but soon hopefully. It's perfectly understandable for M3 reservation holders to be apprehensive about lifestyle changes with owning a BEV. I feel fortunate that I have a private home capable of being equipped with 240V charging, and a daily 80 mile commute. I'm looking forward to owning the M3 but I understand the M3 is not for everyone.

Bighorn | 23 avril 2017

I get 3.5 MPH on my P85+ with 120VAC--I suspect the Model 3 will be over 4MPH. I lived with 120V before I discovered a 10-30 outlet in my garage. How many miles is your commute?

SamO | 23 avril 2017

@Bighorn,

Me too. I built a pigtail that allows me access to a 15-30 and now I draw 12 MPH. Wee.

Efontana | 23 avril 2017

Eagles, he thinks the 3 will go more miles on an hour of charge at the same rate.

JayInJapan | 23 avril 2017

@SamO, no to Manpuku. It's been forever since I've been to LA. I had all-you-can-eat shabu shabu around the corner last night. Yummy!

SamO | 24 avril 2017

I stopped at Mr Noodle in Westwood and then has a Diddy Reece ice cream sandwich last night. :-)

JayInJapan | 24 avril 2017

I cannot confirm, but I'm pretty sure I ate at Mr. Noodle 41 years ago.

akgolf | 24 avril 2017

Some help for those without the ability to charge at home. Tesla to the rescue.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/charging-our-priority

SamO | 25 avril 2017

Wait a few minutes and your hometown will be surrounded by Superchargers.

Thanks Tesla. Even the stupid, lazy and slow will be surrounded by fast charging.

Haggy | 25 avril 2017

These are the things to think about before getting a condo. As people start walking away because of the lack of an outlet, condo associations will get the message.

The same is true with apartments or houses for rent. Having a unit vacant one extra month isn't worth it if people are specifically seeking out apartments where they can get a space with an outlet.

Red Sage ca us | 25 avril 2017

I rarely come across anyone with anything good to say about either mobile home or condominium complex HOAs unless they are trying to sell one. Typically, it's more like, "Whatever you do -- never live in a place like this!"

Rocky_H | 25 avril 2017

@rdovale:

Quote: “It splits into a light bulb which has one outlet that unfortunately is used by the garage door opener.”

Quote: “That's what I'm saying, there are no regular plugs in there.”

I don’t get your focus on not understanding how you can use this outlet. Maybe it's just that no one has spelled the solution out for you yet. You can get a power strip for less than $10. You plug THAT into the outlet. Then, you plug BOTH the garage door opener and the Tesla charge cable into the power strip. The light bulb is an insignificant power draw. The garage door opener would be a little more, but momentary. You might need to turn the car charging down from 12 amps to 10 or 11 if it ever trips a breaker sometime, but there should be plenty of power for that.

hsuru4u | 25 avril 2017

wow to me a cheap meal is under $10...lol plus tip...i can see 37.00 total for 2 with drinks and a tip though.

SUN 2 DRV | 25 avril 2017

McD Value meal... $2.66 including tax, even in Silicon Valley.

SamO | 25 avril 2017

@JayInJapan,

I get the Tom Ka Noodle, spicy . Good value for the college kids at less than $9.00

Now there is a Fat Sal's nearby, next to the In-n-Out.

Or I can go charge at the Four Seasons, Beverly Hills while I have a $60 brunch on Sunday.

So many choices.

JeffreyR | 26 avril 2017

@Rocky Don't forget the stepladder and its padlock. But still very doable. Maybe the powerstrip will just be long enough :)

SamO | 27 avril 2017

Or just use the Supercharging and Destination Charging Networks built by Tesla.

Problem solved.

akgolf | 27 avril 2017

Great idea Sam!

SamO | 27 avril 2017

Newly increased locations including even places like Manhattan, Los Angeles/SF Valley, Silicon Valley, city centers, 15,000 Destinations (many with multiple charging locations) screams buy.

The system will (eventually) grow to fit every car owner in the world.

Sorted.

tstolz | 28 avril 2017

This is such a short-term problem. Wiring is really easy and electricity is everywhere.

If condo owners want customers they will upgrade their units to include 240 X 30 amps to each parking stall. That with the Supercharger network for fast top-ups would be plenty. In fact ... 120 V plugs plus the Supercharger network would likely suffice for many.

When I first got my MS I went down to the local hardware ... bought $60 worth of parts and installed a 240V X 40 amp plug at my inlaws ... took 20 minutes.

At home I installed a HPWC and upgraded my service to a bigger capacity. The upgrade was free. I guess the utility liked the idea of me buying more electricity.

The market jumps on every opportunity ... EVs are clearly an opportunity.

tstolz | 28 avril 2017

Forgot to add. Condo owners will pay for the upgrades by having customers and of course charging for the install. Cheap.

topher | 28 avril 2017

"Wiring is really easy" Yes it is. But PLEASE know what you are about, before trying it yourself.

Thank you kindly.

Civicrick | 29 avril 2017

Eagles, are you heating the cabin in your estimates? An article I read said that heating the cabin takes a toll. I don't want to have to wear a snowmobile suit for winter driving

hmgolds | 30 avril 2017

Things are always simpler from the outside looking in. We are part-time in a downtown condo (rest of the time in a home where we can install a charger). Approximately 200 units and 300 parking stalls.

Based on a survey, less than 10% envision getting a plug-in EV in the foreseeable future. I think that's understated, more will be amenable once they see benefits. But, none the less, you're talking about a perceived benefit for 10% of the population.

Many here seem to underestimate the electrical requirements of bringing 30-40a at 240v to each parking stall. These will be long runs requiring significant investment in copper wiring. That would be greatly minimized if all the EVs were clustered in a contiguous set of stalls, but that's probably not feasible as owners have preferences with respect to their parking stalls.

Then there's the upgrades required for the additional load. I.E. transformers, metering, etc. Right now, 600amp of load (20 chargers at 30amps) coming on at one time would overload circuits. There are already peaks around dinnertime. This could be avoided with off-peak only charging, but even then you can't have all the chargers going active at the same time.

All of these issues are solvable, but it's hard to get a community to invest until there's a critical mass. There are many benefits to living in a downtown condo, but the flexibility to do what you want is not one of them.

BTW, there's a number of building going up (or recently up) in my neighborhood. To my knowledge (having done a bit of online research, none have the potential for chargers in all parking stalls. And only one has EV charging at all.

I'm certainly glad to see Tesla's planned destination supercharger for downtown Minneapolis. There are a few other places to charge (that are not in pay parking lots) but it seems they often don't deliver the promised amps.

Tarla's Driver | 30 avril 2017

Doesn't the Tesla HPWC now allow you to chain them so that they share a single circuit, so if a bunch of cars are charging, it lowers the amperage so that they can all charge? Other chargers may support the same thing. That's a great solution for an apartment garage with limited power.

I also suspect that Eagles is mistaken about the power runs to the garage. A typical 300A service has two out-of-phase 120V lines that together make a 240V line. That's why all the 240V circuit breakers are double-wide--it connects to both lines. But yes, installing a NEMA 14-50 at each stall isn't going to happen. But if only 10% of the residents want to plug in, they can put in two or three spots in each garage and be done with it.

Pages