Forums

Slow Supercharger Speeds

Slow Supercharger Speeds

Anyone else notice slow supercharger speeds recently?

I have a May 2016 refreshed front end 75D.

Last Saturday I arrived at an empty supercharger with 9% SoC. I had been driving for 3 hours so the battery was warmed up. It was 65 degrees outside. I tried numerous stalls at the supercharger but was unable to top 87kW.

Many times I sit between 60-70kW most of the time I'm there. This has been my experience consistently at 5-6 different superchargers now in WA and OR. I have not seen 110kW+ speeds since early last fall.

Talking with other owners, I'm curious if anyone else is noticing slower speeds, or if there is something uniquely wrong with my car.

I have called Tesla using the phone number listed on the supercharger stalls about this numerous times. The guy on the other end gives me typical responses such as:

Tesla: "If other Teslas are at the supercharger..."
Me: "I'm the only one here."
Tesla: "Oh. Well, if you try one of the other stalls..."
Me: "I've tried four different ones already."
Tesla: "Oh. Well, if you arrive with a high state of charge..."
Me: "I arrived with 9%."
Tesla: "Oh. Well if you haven't been driving long or if it's cold outside..."
Me: "I've been driving for 3 hours and it's 65 degrees outside."

After going through this insulting process multiple times, the guy always tells me that he is going to send my case along to the supercharger team. But then I never hear anything about it again. I've been calling and giving reports for months now.

Should I just call my local service center and say that I'd like this addressed? Or is there something else I should try?

Any and all suggestions, short of groupthink cyber bullying or personal attacks against me for asking a question, are appreciated.

inconel | 2 mai 2017

If the battery is too hot it could reduce charging power to protect itself. Do you hear a loud noise from the cooling fan when charging which is indicative of the battery needing cooling? Actually if you don't hear anything it could be an issue too. I believe Bjorn Nyland had an issue with his Tesla fan not running during SC resulting in lower speed.

ooagentmm | 2 mai 2017

No new noises - the same ones I've heard since I got the car. The same ones I was hearing when the car would get 110kW+. Appreciate the suggestion though!

reed_lewis | 2 mai 2017

(bad joke alert) - Try parking downhill from the Supercharger. That way the electricity flows downhill and gets faster.

Seriously. I am going away this weekend and will use three superchargers in NH and Maine and will be pretty depleted in terms of SOC. I will report back next week what kind of power I got. I have a S75D

Rocky_H | 2 mai 2017

@matthew.mcknight, This is one of those cases where this forum is a lot more fun, but the other forum, TMC is usually better with having more documented information and is a better research tool. There is something going on with a lot of the Superchargers slowing down the speeds, and it's being discussed in a few threads over there. Much of it seems to be coming out to some of the handles getting too hot, and the Supercharger does have a way to detect this and lower the current so it does not turn into a really big problem until they can get the cord replaced.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/charging-slow-at-superchargers.8...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/superchargers-super-slow.81432/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/some-california-superchargers-no...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/weird-supercharger-incident-redu...

ooagentmm | 2 mai 2017

Reed and Rocky - Appreciate it. Hopefully Tesla will issue a statement about this or at least some sort of communication or acknowledgement of the issue.

Pricee2 | 2 mai 2017

I have not seen this at Burlington, WA or Monroe. I recently charged in Monroe at 117kW with 31 rated miles remaining when I started to charge.
I would contact the service center and see if they will check it out. You may have a high resistance connection at the charge port or between it and the battery pack.

tes-s | 2 mai 2017

I am not aware of anything that would explain what you are experiencing. Perhaps a power issue at that supercharger location and they had them turned down. See if it happens at another location.

I charged today at 114kW, and will be in VT, NH, ME, and CT this weekend - I'm not anticipating any issues.

jbdvm1988 | 2 mai 2017

I have similar experiences. Drove 50 miles on a 70 degree day arriving at charger with 5% charge. I watched it go over 100kw for a few minutes then dropped to the 65-70 kw range. I thought for sure at a low SOC it would stay high longer. FYI. Only my car was charging. The other stalls were vacant

DonS | 2 mai 2017

I've seen similar issues, especially at Fremont, CA. I believe it is a maintenance problem on the Superchargers because I have rarely seen the same issue at other sites. Early on, I thought it was a car problem, and called Tesla like the OP, only to find out they didn't know any more than I did.

ooagentmm | 2 mai 2017

The problem is, at least for me and my car/experience, I have been to 6 different superchargers recently (Seaside, Aberdeen, Ellensburg, Centralia, Sandy, Woodburn) and I am unable to reach 90kW at any of them. That really makes me think it's an issue with my car - I doubt all of those stations would be experiencing the issue... especially since some folks report that they are able to charge just fine at them.

GHammer | 2 mai 2017

I charge at Woodburn all the time and have never had a problem. I've also been to Centralia recently without issue.

PeteB Lake Oswego | 2 mai 2017

I also charge at Woodburn frequently and don't have any problems. I have P100DL, charger willl push up to 114kW in some cases

ooagentmm | 2 mai 2017

Ok. I'll contact Tesla service then because something is clearly wrong with my car. Thanks guys

Salute | 2 mai 2017

I charged in Ellensburg, Ritzville, and Kennewick this weekend and all started at 118KW

ooagentmm | 2 mai 2017

Thanks. More data points for me to provide when/if Tesla tries to say there might have been an issue with the supercharger itself and not my car.

teslamotorfaq.com | 2 mai 2017

Tesla can pull your charge log and detect problem

Made in CA | 2 mai 2017

Next time you are supercharging maybe ask anyone else there what charge they are getting.

Good luck!

JayInJapan | 2 mai 2017

I think @Rocky is on to something with the cables. OP has done all the right things to get a zippy start to his charges: arrive with a low SOC (don't attempt this till you know what you're doing), a warm battery, and tried different stalls. I have noticed the newer cables (buttons are no longer cut away from the handles) at older SC and did not notice any slowdowns on my recent run to Tokyo. Kurashiki SC has given me trouble in the past. I will now keep an eye open for this.

sburford | 8 décembre 2018

We have a 2014 S 85, live in Texas and have been using superchargers throughout the south extensively. Our experience of late (last year or so) is similar to matthew.mcknight - no doubt. One possibility is the transformers lose their efficency over time. Not sure the reason but we too have contacted Tesla multiple times and had similar exchanges.

therakesh | 21 juillet 2019

Got a pathetic 10kW at Waco, Texas today, it started at 90kW but went down to 10 in a matter of minutes. At this rate, it’s going to take 2.5 hrs to go from 50 percent to 90. I am bailing out, headed to Austin Energy charging station at UT, hopefully it’s going to be a better rate. I get a consistent 8kW at home with a NEMA 14-50 plug.

Bighorn | 21 juillet 2019

Is it hot in Waco today? Superchargers can slow in the heat. Moving stalls can be helpful.

kerryglittle | 21 juillet 2019

I had to use a supercharger today and was the only one there out of 8 stalls and got a whopping 32Kw. 75 degrees and nice out and the car was only driven 3 miles from cold to the charger. Stayed long enough just to make it home. Was like watching paint dry.

Bighorn | 21 juillet 2019

@kerry
Definitely try another stall in that circumstance. Pedestal speeds can vary greatly, even between A and B on the same number charger.

nwfan | 22 juillet 2019

I was at SC in OKC on Saturday afternoon. A cool 103.
My Model S hit 143kW on start up. Speaking of SC. OKC was filled. 8 of
8 had Tesla charging. Most were Model 3 with paper tags. Model 3 are making
a difference. This is OK. Middle of energy country.

When my SOC is low enough I'm getting 140 or higher on most of the 150kW charger in TX.
Southlake, Lindale, Denton, Arlington to name a few.

Waco was packed. Line of cars waiting and every pedestal filled on Saturday per local club member who
shared a photo.

trevor58 | 22 juillet 2019

@ooagentmm. I realize this is a 2017 thread but any resolution to your issue? In the last 3-4 months, I have noticed a similar SC charging speed slowdown to the range of 60 kW. Not just at the urban SCs that are limited to 72 kW, but at ones where I used to charge at 115 kW with low state of charge.
Software update change possibly?

rickrparker | 22 juillet 2019

I get batteries get hot when charging. How taxing is charging in hot weather areas? I live in Dallas. Does it make anymore sense to charge at a Supercharger early in the AM when it's 80 degrees F? I live 6 blocks from a supercharger so I don't have any home charging necessary. Please and Thank you.
Rp

Ev | 5 novembre 2019

Supercharging had been limited by an update on older cars. This happened after a MS caught fire in China. My 85 drops to under 70kwh regardless of stall A/B, temperature, soc. It’s no longer usable for long trips because of all the added charge time. Have to use ICE car for bigger trips.

Qwiksilver | 9 novembre 2019

@Ev

Welcome to the club.

jordanrichard | 9 novembre 2019

EV, OMG, so the trip I made to FL in Sept, from CT didn’t happen.....? Wow, thanks for that info. I guess I will have to figure out how my car got FL....

jordanrichard | 9 novembre 2019

Just to add some context here to those crying about the reduced charging rate. It used to be that the superchargers topped out at 90kwh and yet people somehow were able to do long distances trips. We also did it with far, far fewer superchargers.
Lastly, this reduced charging rate may very well be a temporary things, just as Tesla temporarily disabled the ability for those with the air suspension to lower their cars when those fires started due debris hitting the packs. Once Tesla had a fix in place, they re-enabled the air suspension.

Bighorn | 9 novembre 2019

Yeah, I drove over 10,000 miles over 19 days in October. Can't fix stupid.

TSLC | 10 novembre 2019

@ooagentmm- Very likely the pack is restricted after triggering the DC fast charger ticker in the software. This is a known issue with the 350V variants and 90 packs. My max speed at any Supercharger in four different states, in optimal conditions, and not sharing a circuit, never exceeds 80-82kW and this was confirmed to be the cause by Tesla. This is not speculation and sadly not a bug, but rather a feature.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbl74bL0zGQ

Now inevitably numerous 75 owners will chime in declaring this to not be true because they are not afeected yada yada...but the reality is, they simply have not added enough DC fast power yet and at some point their car will be nerfed as well. Everything you describe matched my experience exactly.

If you want to know for sure make service escalate the concern up to the mothership and ask them for the amount of DC power added to the pack. They will confirm the cause after reviewing your logs.

Bighorn | 10 novembre 2019

My car had over 250k supercharged miles with no throttled supercharging. Recent firmware has slowed everyone unrelated to usage. 17 kW difference for me and I don’t care.

SamO | 10 novembre 2019

But you’ll never get those extra 6 minutes supercharging back. ;-)

Bighorn | 10 novembre 2019

Longer naps = longer life

SamO | 10 novembre 2019

Sleep is for the dead.

rjairam | 11 novembre 2019

You can’t say the pack is restricted because of excessive supercharging. I do my daily charging mostly on 7kw level 2 and supercharge 1-3x/month. Hardly excessive.

Oh and I got a new battery last December. You can’t tell me it’s been capped in under a year? I have a 70kWh and used to be able to get 116kW regularly sustained into the 20s and my charge time would complete in 40 minutes to 80-90%. Now it’s turtle slow and this happened exactly after firmware 2019.16. So yeah I’m not imagining it.

VI Tesla | 3 décembre 2019

I've been reading that the charge rate is reduced when you drain the batter that low in order to save the battery. Very hard on battery to ram in the juice when it's that low. Did this just last evening. Was down to 9% plugged in the car overnight on 25 amps and only got 30% by morning. Should would have easily been fully charged based on time to charge from 50- 80%.

finished | 3 décembre 2019

Just finished a trip last week from Minnesota to St. George, UT and back. S100D. Many different charge curves left me puzzled as to how the next supercharger would act. Some chargers shot right up to 145 kW and held there for many minutes, then slowly dropped to 100 kw near 40% charge. Excellent! Other chargers would sloooooowly ramp up and hold at 61 kW for 5 minutes (yes, exactly 61 kW) then ramp up to 120 kW or so. I usually arrived at 15-20%, and the battery would be fully warmed. Plugging and re-plugging did not seem to change the starting charging characteristics. All in all, not much extra time was spent at the slower SC's, but the variability was a little unsettling, since I wanted to cannonball it to and fro. Also, the worries of blocked superchargers and/or long charging queues were not realized over 3,600 miles the week of Thanksgiving.