Forums

12V Battery Needs Service

12V Battery Needs Service

"12V Battery Needs Service " message on display above steering wheel . Battery showing 14V . Anybody know how to extinguish lite?

TeslaTap.com | 8 juillet 2017

Go to service. Normally is a warning that the 12v battery is not holding the charge long enough between recharging. You typically have 2-3 weeks before it may completely fail. In a few rare cases, this warning indicates the 12v battery is not being charged due to a failure of the DC-DC charger, but since you see 14v, I doubt this is the case. You have time, but get the battery replaced. It's under warranty.

Redmiata98 | 8 juillet 2017

Ditto, get it into service as soon as you can, you do not want to be locked out of the car.

booshtukka | 22 décembre 2017

I've just got this message in my car yesterday (but I was away for the week beforehand). I'm just about to drive to France on Boxing Day, and am now really worried. I've called Tesla (who are like five minutes away from my office) and they've said twice they will call me back and haven't done so. They have no more loan vehicles, and it's looking unlikely they'll be able to service this today.

The guy on the phone said it will "probably" be fine, which is not filling me with confidence. I don't have a lot of options though; I need to drive to France.

What is the 12v battery for? I didn't even know I had one. How do you check the level?

How worried should I be about driving it? :(

Vawlkus | 22 décembre 2017

The 12v battery is to keep the computer running when the car is ‘off’. It’s how the car wakes up from sleep when it detects the fob approaching.
It’s charged from the main battery pack, but if there’s an issue with the 12v, your car may not start. I’d get a Tesla tech to remote in and see what details they can see. Failing that, take a short drive and see if the error persists. If it goes away, you’re likely ok to drive to France. It can be caused by cold temps if the car is left idle for a while, especially if the car was left unplugged.

The car was left idle for almost a week, and unplugged. However it was plugged in overnight last night, and I drove it an hour to work and the message is still there.

Still waiting for Tesla to call me back. :(

Vawlkus | 22 décembre 2017

Anytime it’s idle, it’s a good idea to leave it plugged in, especially now that it’s getting cold.

‘Fraid I can’t suggest much else at this point. Don’t wait for them to call you though. Call the roadside assistance line and get them to tap in and see what the story is.

Unfortunately it wasn't an option - I was having the driveway resurfaced while I was away. I made sure it had plenty of charge before I went though.

jimvan | 22 décembre 2017

We just had a ranger come out to replace our 12 volt battery. We ran it with the message on the screen for 8 days before the ranger got here. It was an easy fix. Our X has 26,000 miles on it and is an April 2016 delivery.

robevans1026 | 6 avril 2018

I have had the car about a week and have only driven it a few miles. The "12v battery needs replaced light" came on the second after I drove it for the first time in 4 days. What do I need to do?

Triggerplz | 7 avril 2018

@robevan I would try a reboot if that didn't work I would take it to the service center or get the ranger to bring me a battery

Luisparada | 8 avril 2018

@robevans1026 Same thing happened to my brand new MX100D last week, only two weeks after delivery. I called service center; they looked remotely; sent a Tesla Ranger to replace the 12V battery. It seems like a bad batch of 12V batteries. What can I say?