Forums

Drivetrain warranty

Drivetrain warranty

This may have been covered elsewhere I just didn't see it but what is the straight story on the drivetrain. Is it eight years and 100,000 miles or eight years and unlimited miles? Inquiring minds want (and need!) to know. I drive a lot of miles in my work and I'm more willing to shell out what to me are big bucks for this car if the drivetrain is covered no matter how many miles I pile on it.

SUN 2 DRV | 29 juillet 2017

I wondered the same thing.

The BATTERY warranties are 100k and 120k... what about the drive train?

Or is the drive train covered in the 4 year 50k mile warranty?

TeslaTap.com | 29 juillet 2017

It appears the drive train is only covered by the 4 year, 50K mile warranty. The Model 3 warranty is similar to the original Model S warranty in this area, but after some early DU problems, they added the motor/inverter to match the battery warranty for the Model S (and then the X).

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29 juillet 2017

MOTOR TREND listed...

POWERTRAIN WARRANTY -- 8 yrs/100,000 miles (120,000 miles with long range)

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-...

GeorgeA | 31 juillet 2017

I do not see any warranty information on the drive train listed in official Tesla website at this point, but it is still very early in updating their site. I do hope that Tesla will list some sort of warranty i.e. 4 years, since the two unique parts of any EV and the most costly items that might concern new buyers are the drive train and battery. It would be helpful if the drive train warranty is listed by itself like the S specs. This stated assurance should entice even more would be buyers of M3, consistent with furthering the goal of "...to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible". I also strongly support this goal by buying my second Tesla (M3) after owning S for 4.5 years.

Redmiata98 | 31 juillet 2017

Here is the model S/X info that MIGHT be the same for the 3:
What is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty?
Your Model S and X are covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which includes the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Supplemental Restraint System (“SRS”) Limited Warranty, and the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.

The Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any Model S or X parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever occurs first.

The SRS Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of the vehicle’s seat belts or airbag system manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (100,000 km), whichever occurs first.

The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever occurs first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.