Forums

The Model 3 is going to KILL it

The Model 3 is going to KILL it

This article conveys my feelings after my test ride....

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/07/30/tesla-model-3-crush-bmw-audi-merced...

Exciting times!

mntlvr23 | 31 juillet 2017

@KP +1

hoffmannjames | 31 juillet 2017

I completely agree. I think one aspect of the Model 3 that some might be forgetting is how EVs, especially Tesla cars, handle the road. If the Model 3 is anything like the Model S, the car will handle the road incredibly well and be an incredible driving experience. The Model 3 looks to be a big winner which is why Tesla's biggest problem now is production. They got a winner, they just got to get it into the hands of customers.

Chargedmr2 | 31 juillet 2017

That was a great read, and I think it is spot on.

Electrek just put out a comparison to the BMW 330i, which is also a good read. Model 3 is better priced, overall.

carlk | 31 juillet 2017

Some of us have said the same thing for many years already. People thought we were crazy to believe things like that and it could not be done. Thanks Tesla for proving that we were right.

Bighorn | 31 juillet 2017

@hoffmann
Motor Trend was blown away by the handling.

@Bighorn I know. I think a lot of people will be blown away too when they also get a chance to drive the Model 3.

Tropopause | 31 juillet 2017

My favorite introduction:

"These automakers have been trading wins with each other in various monthly and annual sales races, but Usain Bolt just came to town and is soon joining track days."

PhillyGal | 31 juillet 2017

So much yes!
When people start driving these cars, it will make you forget everything you ever thought you knew about cars. My 15 minute test drive alone did that to me. Dinosaurs...

jordanrichard | 31 juillet 2017

Shortly after getting my MS, I let a friend drive it and later that day he told me that when he got into his car, he felt like it was an antique. His car, a new Mercedes ML.

KP in NPT | 31 juillet 2017
carlk | 31 juillet 2017

Handling has been the remaining question we had for the Model 3. We pretty much knew what the rest would be like. If MT is so blown away by that it's dead in the water for BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus and all other even lessor brands. Some people say the Model 3 is still a pretty expensive car but I can't think of a good reason for anyone to throw away $40K~$50K on those other cars.

It didn't dawn on me until now but I wonder if the slim dash and minimalistic interior will make for better visibility. I can't actually see out the car it will be replacing. (I know, I know. What a safe driver I am.)

@jordanrichard +1 Which is why I am optimistic that the Model 3 will be the first EV to cause a paradigm shift in how consumers looks at EVs. For a long time, a lot of people assumed EVs were either ugly, slow or can't drive very far. The Model S proved them wrong but the counter argument was "ok so EVs can be amazing cars but only the few can afford one." With the Model 3, I think people will finally see that it it is possible for EVs to be a mass market vehicle, that is as good if not better than a gas car and that the mainstream buyer can afford. That shift in thinking will be huge because it will mean that our society really can replace gas cars with EVs cars for good.

@carlk - I know it's extreme but after test driving the Model S, I told my husband I would not vote on any gasoline car with the price tag above $39,999.99

PhillyGal | July 31, 2017
It didn't dawn on me until now but I wonder if the slim dash and minimalistic interior will make for better visibility. I can't actually see out the car it will be replacing. (I know, I know. What a safe driver I am.)

----------

Yeah, I think that is a big reason why Tesla went that route with the interior. It gives the inside more space and better visibility. One test driver actually commented that they barely see the front hood so they get amazing visibility of the road ahead, better than the Model S even.

jordanrichard | 31 juillet 2017

hoffmannjames +1 What you said about what people assumed about EVs, was me. I often tell people that, and that once I rode/drove a MS, my life change. I literally couldn't stomach the idea of buying a new ICE car knowing this technology was out there.

KP in NPT | 31 juillet 2017

PG it has amazing visibility. :) The low dash is really great - I think this is why Elon said "you won't care."

bogunsjohn2000 | 31 juillet 2017

There is an article today comparing the 330i price vs M3.
The 330i costs $44,850. Then add taxes on top of that. The 8 year / 120K miles powertrain warranty should cost at least $3K. How about if I tell you I burn $600/month in gas?

That Bloomberg article is a must read. Great to hear how camper friendly it is! 81" flat bed will rock:)

carlk | 31 juillet 2017

Just thought of another thing. Tesla is only offering all season tires at this moment which I assume those test cars rode on. Imagine what would happen when they were switched out with better rubber? Wow... There is no magic there Tesla is only taking full advantage of the skate board design. No performance ICE car has a chance to compete with it.

@Bighorn - What will you do? Take the car with the flat sleeping space or the one with no additional cost supercharging?!

Bluesday Afternoon | 31 juillet 2017

@KP in NPT

Now see what you started! Half a million reservations aren't good enough?

elephant in a bottle | 31 juillet 2017

It's amazing how the Model 3 nails it with version 1.0. The car we now know is gonna be great .. building gazillions of these is the next big challenge.

@PG
Excellent question:)

@elephant
I think Elon referred to this as version 0.5! Lots more to come.

jordanrichard | July 31, 2017
hoffmannjames +1 What you said about what people assumed about EVs, was me. I often tell people that, and that once I rode/drove a MS, my life change. I literally couldn't stomach the idea of buying a new ICE car knowing this technology was out there.
-----------

Thanks. I had a similar reaction to you. I always thought Tesla was cool but after test driving a Model S, I became determined that somehow my next car would be a Tesla. I cannot get myself to buy another ICE car, not even as a place holder until I get my Model 3.

NKYTA | 31 juillet 2017

KP, thanks. Good read!

Not wild about the wood in the interior, but thankfully it isn't my decision. ;-)

elephant in a bottle | 31 juillet 2017

@Bighorn .. I thought version 0.5 was for the Gigafactory .. was it also for the M3? If he did call out version 0.5 for the M3 ... "There's a lot of hubris into that" :)

@elephant
I think you may be right about it referring to the Alien dreadnought 0.5 and its ability to help build the Model 3, but he's used similar descriptions with the cars.

carlk | 31 juillet 2017

Elon said current Model 3 line is alien dreadnaught V0.5. The planned Model Y will be v2.0. I assume the model 3 line will be improved to v1.0 in between.

If so, there's a lot of butt hurt in the future. We already see it with the MS/MX, now we're talking magnitudes more buyers.

Tropopause | 31 juillet 2017

NKYTA,

The Premium Package includes the wood. The non-Premium Pack might be woodless.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23 août 2017

Unfortunately, the Comments section on the CleanTechnica article had been closed by the time I got there, but it was an enjoyable writeup with a fun set of comments. Here are two I came across...

Chien Fang Chen • 24 days ago
Where is Robert Lutz? We would like him to say few words about Model 3.

--------

John Moore @Chien Fang Chen • 24 days ago
Sadly, Bob Lutz was electrocuted, while attempting to show that electricity was not a threat to anyone. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that you make a donation to a certified non-profit, such as Ford or GM.