Forums

Model 3 turning raduis

Model 3 turning raduis

Does anyone have any information on the turning radius of the Model 3? I have a particularly tight driveway turn-around so it is a tiny bit of a concern for me. Not a big deal, but I envision the scene from the Austin Powers movie making a billion-point turn-around in another electric vehicle.

dsvick | 22 août 2017

Good news .. the model 3 also comes with a reverse gear, so you can just go backwards .... :)

carlk | 22 août 2017

Lol but technically it does not have a reverse gear.

dsvick | 22 août 2017

Ok, fine I'll give you that one ... thanks :)

LostInTx | 22 août 2017

For the OP, I'm curious as to the turning radius also. There's nothing on this site. The MB C300 has an 18' radius. The Chevy Bolt has a 17.7' radius. The Model 3 should be pretty close to these.

sp_tesla | 22 août 2017

dsvick | August 22, 2017
Good news .. the model 3 also comes with a reverse gear, so you can just go backwards .... :)"

Sad news for those of us who have to deal with tight parking/streets.

Coastal Cruiser. | 22 août 2017

t.mccready.s, nasty comments aside, I too look forward to learning how tight a radius the car will turn in. It's a feature I always forget to ask about when buying a car, yet you so much appreciate a small turning radius in day to day driving. My 2016 is Prius (which I forgot to ask about when leasing) turns very tight.

I suspect the Model 3 won't disappoint. You might have an owner or two chime in about how tight their S or X turns.

phil | 22 août 2017

Historically, Tesla has been mediocre on turning radii:
- Model S - 18.5"
- Model X - 20.35"

Elon Musk once claimed the Model X would have a turning radius tighter than a Cooper Mini, but that obviously did not happen. I'd guess Model 3 will come in similarly mediocre - 18 feet or so. I hope they can do better - it is nice to have a small turning radius for local driving and parking.

Coastal Cruiser. | 22 août 2017

Thanx SW.

txakoli | 22 août 2017

@phil

"Historically, Tesla has been mediocre on turning radii:
- Model S - 18.5"
- Model X - 20.35" "

18.5 and 20.35 inches... that's pretty good. ;)

RedShift | 22 août 2017

@txakoli

No, that's bad for a rear drive car.

My previous car, a 2005 BMW 325i had 17'. That car was a pleasure to park as well as drive.
Model 3 is very close to that car in size. So, here's hoping.

Then again, my other car, an Acura TSX has terrible 20' radius.

jamilworm | 22 août 2017

@RedShift you missed the joke. txakoli was poking fun because phil put " (inches) instead of ' (feet).

Nexxus | 23 août 2017

Think Goldmember from Austin Powers, that's tauight!

efodix | 23 août 2017

Coming from Alfa Romeo 156, with it's 11.6m (38ft) turning circle, 20 feet sounds almost like magic.

tripplett | 23 août 2017

i seem to recall seeing or hearing somewhere that it had a tight turning radius and that was coming from someone who was used to previous Tesla models. I think it was in the Motor Trend review of the Model 3?

phil | 23 août 2017

20 feet is the radius, not the diameter of the circle, so it's a little worse than the Alfa's 19' radius. Not magical.

TMcC | 23 août 2017

Coastal_Cruiser, sorry if you took my initial comments as nasty. It was not my intent at all. I was just hoping to add a little levity to my post. It fell flat, so next time I will add a smiley face. ;-)

We also have a 2016 Prius (replacing our 2005 Prius), and we couldn't be more happy with it (for a non EV). I agree that it has a great turning radius. If the 3 is anywhere close to it, I will be very happy.

bmz | 23 août 2017

Turning radius is closely related to wheelbase. The M3 has a fairly long wheelbase; so I do not expect it to have a great turning radius.

RedShift | 23 août 2017

@jamilworm

Indeed! Speed reading while handling multiple tasks.

Apologies txakoli! :-)

Coastal Cruiser. | 23 août 2017

t.mccready.s: "Coastal_Cruiser, sorry if you took my initial comments as nasty. It was not my intent at all. I was just hoping to add a little levity to my post. It fell flat, so next time I will add a smiley face. ;-)"

Dude, not at all! I was chiding the commenters who were invalidating your post. And "nasty" was the wrong word anyway. I should have used "snide". ;>

Nice to hear form a fellow Prius owner. Owners of older models who get in the car universally remark about how roomy this 4th gen car is. This is the best car I ever owned. It will be nice to see an all electric version someday. Just a matter of time.

txakoli | 23 août 2017

@RedShift

No worries. Apologies accepted.

dsvick | 23 août 2017

@cc - "I was chiding the commenters who were invalidating your post. And "nasty" was the wrong word anyway. I should have used "snide". "

That was me .... I did use smiley face though ....

Coastal Cruiser. | 23 août 2017

Oh. I thought it was sneer. Thanks for the clarification.

;>

dsvick | 23 août 2017

I probably could have phrased it differently too.

TMcC | 23 août 2017

Coastal_Cruiser, agree on the latest Prius. We were pretty happy with the 2005 version, but were blown away with how much they improved on it in the 2016 model. So for a hybrid, we are happy with it. But I just can't wait to go all electric. I have loved my 2001 Celica GTS and have been holding on waiting for a worthy EV. The Model 3 will be a nice upgrade.

bmz, that is what concerned me. It has a fairly long wheel base, but if they have allowed enough room in the wheel wells, maybe the turning angle of the wheels will make up for it some? A guy can hope... Either way, I'll make it work.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 23 août 2017

There are multiple factors that contribute to handling and the resultant turning radius/circle for a car:

Circa 1990 Honda CR-X
Length: 3772 mm / 148.5 in
Wheelbase: 2300 mm / 90.6 in
Front track: 1450 mm / 57.1 in
Rear track: 1455 mm / 57.3 in
Ground clearance: 150 mm / 5.9 in
Turning circle btw. walls: 9.8 m / 32.2 ft
Turning circle btw. curbs: 9 m / 29.5 ft
Steering Rack (Turns Lock to Lock): 3.1:1 to 4.2:1