Forums

Do I really need AWD in California?

Do I really need AWD in California?

Do I? What is the advantage of the AWD on EV?
Off topic question: is there a search function on this forum? I hate to post questions which could be answered already but cannot fine the search window.

KP in NPT | 28 août 2017

Do you mean AWD?

No, you probably don't "need" AWD. I live in the northeast and I don't even really "need" it.

You can't search the forum, but you can search this forum using http://volkerize.com

Grigate | 28 août 2017

Yes, of course I meant AWD, :) Thank you for correcting.
And I guess there is no way to edit the post either..

KP in NPT | 28 août 2017

You can edit - you click on the post, and you should see edit in the upper left of the screen. you can only edit the post title though, not any replies.

Tâm | 28 août 2017

Tesla Dual Motor advantage:

1) Better traction: It still rains in CA sometimes. Also, some people love to go up the mountains in CA covered with snows as well.

2) Better range: additional motor weight and you get to drive further which could only happen in EV!

3) Better accelleraton

So, no you don't need it but if you want for those above 3, then sure you really need it!

patrick40363 | 28 août 2017

I live in northern california and would always buy AWD. I have it on my 85D and my wife's model 3 will have it too.

JAD | 28 août 2017

Some people love AWD, like Tam! Others prefer RWD.

Better acceleration in the snow, but not better turning or braking which causes over-confidence and crashing in AWD cars if not driven appropriately, plus EV's have very good traction control and outperform most ICE cars.

Better EPA range, but owner data doesn't support much gain, no loss like with an ICE, but gains are negligible.

Better acceleration if traction limited like in a P100D. A small battery M3 may or may not be faster.

Nothing wrong with AWD, but you need to decide if you want it as very few "need" it.

Carl Thompson | 28 août 2017

@JAD:
"Better acceleration in the snow, but not better turning or braking which causes over-confidence and crashing in AWD cars if not driven appropriately"

This.

Carl

bryandbaker | 28 août 2017

The whole "better traction" this is really overrated. Keep in mind that it only gives you better traction while you're applying the accelerator. If you're not... it's not doing a thing.

The real thing that's the advantage in slick/cold conditions is the low center of gravity. And tires designed for them. Those things are working for you 100% of the time, not just when the accelerator is being applied.

The gain in range is minor, like 3-5% or so. But still an elegant technical solution that may be worth it for the conversation alone--rear motor geared low for 0-60mph acceleration, and does almost all the work at those speeds. The front motor is geared high for 60mph+ speeds and does almost all the work at those speeds. Cooooool.

And that 0-60 acceleration is DRAMATICALLY better. So if you're an adrenaline junkie, this is a good reason to go for it.

It's probably worth noting the disadvantage the added complexity AWD brings. More complex = less reliable. Cooooould be that the decreased workload on each motor could mitigate some of that. Time will tell with comparisons between the RWD and AWD variants of the Ss and Xs.

Tâm | 28 août 2017

@bryandbaker

Complexity, according to Elon Musk means:

"And actually the dual motors provide redundency, so it's like having a twin engine plane, so even if one of the motors conks out for any reason, you can just drive on the front one or the rear one."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2014-10-10/driving-tesla-with-musk...

JayInJapan | 28 août 2017

That redundancy thing turned out to not be the case. Lose one, you lose both.

KP in NPT | 28 août 2017

yeah, that's what I thought Jay. Maybe not lose both literally - but can't drive the car.

What @KP said.

And there are lots of threads on this topic here. RWD Teslas rock around the world.

I still remember seeing all the 4x scattered on the side of the snowy/icy roads in northern Washington state during Thanksgiving 2006. This Southern California boy knew the limits of the rent a car and had zero problems.

georgehawley.fl.us | 29 août 2017

If you head up into the mountains on I-80 in CA for example and encounter R1 or R2 conditions, you only have to have snow treads to avoid having to put on chains if you have AWD cars. We never encountered conditions worse than R2 in 11 years.

PhillyGal | 29 août 2017

I'd say no, as I don't consider myself to need it in Philly where it snows a few times a year.
I won't be waiting for AWD on my 3. I wanted to for fleet diversity (S is a RWD) but definitely not worth waiting.

shank15217 | 29 août 2017

California is known for its rash driving celebrities on a drunk stoned rampage, you need a ll the help you can get. Get AWD, it might save a life one day.

deemo | 29 août 2017

Do you need AWD - probably not.. Do you want AWD, that is another matter.

Our Model S is AWD but we will probably not wait for the AWD Model 3.

rxlawdude | 29 août 2017

"California is known for its rash driving celebrities on a drunk stoned rampage, you need a ll the help you can get. Get AWD, it might save a life one day."

So "good old boys" states that still allow open containers never have anyone in a "drunk stoned rampage?"

More objectively, California is #38 of DUIs per capita.

dave.m.mcdonough | 30 août 2017

I spent 2 weeks in CA for work.
My impression of the drivers is that they are extremely aggressive and approach stops as if they've never encountered bad weather. A simple puddle in the road would have had cars skidding into eachother.
Also, time spent on the freeway where it wasn't a complete parking lot was pretty limited.

I'm not accusing you of being a bad driver, but based on the post of no other info besides a location of CA I am going to go ahead and say you absolutely do not need AWD.

And when outside the cities cruising on freeway 70-80mph, the traffic would abruptly drop to ZERO then resume full speed like nothing happened. No accident or anything. I encountered it multiple times in my short stay.. but let me tell you this IS NOT NORMAL.

In related news, I have no interest in returning to the state. The sheer volume of traffic and population was outright depressing to me.

Carl Thompson | 30 août 2017

@dave.m.mcdonough

Wow! You must be amazingly incisive to see everything you need to know about the state and its people to pass judgement on it part-time after work in just 2 weeks!

RedShift | 30 août 2017

What JAD said.

A tow truck driver once told me - he sees Subarus and AWD SUVs in the ditch more than others coz they drive with overconfidence in inclement weather.

dave.m.mcdonough | 31 août 2017

Hey Carl, not everything. But yes I'm pretty judgey when on the road. If it's any consolation I have a much worse opinion of NC drivers. :p

Shock | 31 août 2017

no

JustSaying | 31 août 2017

"And when outside the cities cruising on freeway 70-80mph, the traffic would abruptly drop to ZERO then resume full speed like nothing happened. No accident or anything. I encountered it multiple times in my short stay.. but let me tell you this IS NOT NORMAL"
This often happens, on the freeway, most often in the fast lane, after someone has hit the brakes or after an accident in that spot. The cars are following so slowly at fast speeds when the person in front of you hits the brakes, you do also and pass it on to the car behind you.
Kind of like "accident memory"?

carlk | 31 août 2017

"In related news, I have no interest in returning to the state. The sheer volume of traffic and population was outright depressing to me."

Unfortunately that's because too many people don't agree with you.

I remember when I first came here a coworker told me he missed New York City. He said he just likes concrete and people. Everything is relative.