Forums

Using the Tesla socket also for other equipment

Using the Tesla socket also for other equipment

Hello!
Would you use, after buying a Tesla, the same socket to plug a powerful electric grill?
Would you abandon the propane ones?

jordanrichard | 30 août 2017

Which type of socket are you talking about? A 12v or 240v. Are you talking about a "George Foreman" "grill? Since a majority of Tesla's are parked in a garage, I don't see people going down to/out to their garage to grill. Besides any electric grill a consumer can buy would be running off a standard 120V outlet.

rossa | 30 août 2017

I was thinking of installing the 240 one, and coupling a commercial electric grill, with a cable extension to not have to cook in the garage.

rossa | 30 août 2017

I mean, not to use it while I'm charging the car. It could be an option to exploit such an investment in other ways.

reed_lewis | 30 août 2017

Seems to me to be a 'solution in search of a problem'

Propane grills are hotter and get hotter faster than electric grills. Plus you cannot get a flame from an electric grill.

reed_lewis | 30 août 2017

Lets do some math. A cable extension would cost at least $100. Some sort of hardware to simulate a car plugging in would cost probably $50 to make, and would not be UL certified.

Also, no one makes an commercial electric grill (that I could find). They make electric griddles which are called flat tops.

If you have purchased a commercial product like that, the cost to install an outlet is much cheaper than rigging up an adapter for the J-1772 or Tesla adapter.

Rocky_H | 30 août 2017

@reed, I think he's just using bad and confusing terminology. When he says "Tesla socket", he doesn't seem to mean the Tesla charging cable or anything that has to do with Tesla actually. He seems to just be talking about if a 14-50 outlet or some other kind of 240V outlet is installed, possibly being able to use that outlet for other things.

Uncle Paul | 30 août 2017

I believe the OP is just exploring the opportunities that might be available if EV's could also be a power source.

eric.zucker | 31 août 2017

If you use the UMC (or HPWC) plugged in a NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 for other purposes, of course. Disconnect the UMC, plug in whatever.

I have a dedicated breaker box near my wall charger and power two outlets from there. I can't use them while the car is charging, of course.

rossa | 31 août 2017

@Rocky_H Yep, I've used a confusing terminology, I'm sorry. I meant exactly what you've said: using that new outlet for other things, not the Tesla cable itself.
@reed_lewis I do not fully agree with the statement that propane grills get hot faster than an electric one, it is a matter of power of the grill itself, and there are some limitations in the case of propane tanks or natural gas lines.

reed_lewis | 31 août 2017

I have a brother in law who works in a professional kitchen. I chatted with him about commercial grills (not flat tops), and gas is the preferred method of heating because of its ability to get hot quickly and stay hot. When it comes to ovens, and flat tops, there is no major difference, but true grills having a real flame work much better with gas.

But if you are talking about the 14-50 outlet, then it would be easy to get an adapter to go to whatever 240V device you want.

Rocky_H | 31 août 2017

@rossa, Obviously no problem with using the outlet for whatever else you can find to hook up to it. I just don't see the use for an electric outside grill. If I wanted to cook something electrically, I would do it inside. The point of outside grill cooking is flame grilled.

However, I am thinking of changing up my grill a bit when we're ready to replace ours. The gas grills with the flame bar heat pretty unevenly. I think we're going to go with a Traeger pellet grill next time. I've checked them out some, and they look really good.

Ross1 | 2 septembre 2017

I just want to make the distinction that Ross1 and Rossa are not the same person.

@Rossa: why have a stupid name like that anyway?