Forums

What is the current service situation for rural owners?

What is the current service situation for rural owners?

I live in Western Montana, about 7-8 hours (475-550) miles from the nearest service centers (Seattle, Salt Lake City, Portland). I've read about the mobile service centers and Tesla's plan to expand the number of brick and mortar and mobile centers in the near future. I'm looking for what the current and near-term service situation is for folks far from a service center. It seems like some wait until they have enough small but annoying issues to make it worth the drive to a service center.

Is there anywhere that shows the territories covered by the mobile service centers?

What happens if you cannot drive your vehicle due to a major issue? Who pays to tow the vehicle 500ish miles (assuming the warranty is still in effect)?

Thanks for any info you can pass along.

pnajar | 29 septembre 2017

Your best answer will come from Tesla?

Captain_Zap | 29 septembre 2017

Bighorn might be able to help.

bigskyneal | 29 septembre 2017

I'm a little concerned about getting info from Tesla as it seems like quite a few of their employees have outdated or incorrect information. That's why I figured I'd see if someone has had recent dealings with this issue.

Bighorn | 29 septembre 2017

Matt from Boise would take care of you.

Rocky_H | 29 septembre 2017

@bigskyneal, Quote: "I'm a little concerned about getting info from Tesla as it seems like quite a few of their employees have outdated or incorrect information."

I think @pnajar's answer is good, but unclear. Don't call Tesla headquarters. They might not have a good answer. Call the service center that is nearest you, and ask them how they are handling service for your location. They will be covering your area somehow, so they will know what methods they are using for that.

I do live in Boise, so I've always been far from a service center. @Bighorn is probably correct. We got a service ranger permanently stationed here in Boise now, who is an extension of the Salt Lake City service center. He would probably be the one to make those trips to western Montana to cover your area. If you check with the Salt Lake Center, they probably would give you more detail.

Before we had a service ranger here in town, it was kind of a compromise situation with the service center. You could call them up with an issue, and they would put you on the schedule. They were coming up here about once every 4-6 weeks, so then they would hit up several service calls. If you could want a few weeks for that next scheduled trip, they wouldn't charge anyone for them. It was a pretty decent system. They may have something similar going for the Helena, Missoula, Butte area.

Probably correct?!

bigskyneal | 29 septembre 2017

Thanks, Rocky! I'll check with the SLC folks.

Check what? Do you want the Montana ranger's cell phone number? His name is Matt Johnson. He works for the SLC service center and lives in Boise. Does that not answer your question?