Forums

Heater stopped working

Heater stopped working

Hello,

My car heater stopped working 2 weeks ago (air is coming out but it's still cold). I booked a service appointment to learn it'd cost 3000$ to replace it (my car is 4.5 years old and its warranty is expired). Is this something I could fix myself? Do you guys have any tips to fix this kind of problem?
Thanks
D

Bighorn | 18 novembre 2017

It probably needs a new heater core and DC-DC converter replacement. There’s a non serviceable fuse on the latter and it’s $2100 part. I lodged my objection with several people throughout the organization on the design. It has since been remedied in that the fuse can be replaced.

PatientFool | 18 novembre 2017

Theres a community that works on teslas these days that you could ask if you're serious about looking into fixing it yourself. also lots of parts of all kinds being sold on ebay and whatnot. e.g. check out "car guru" on youtube. amazing stuff. i've no idea what it'd take to fix your problem though.

Mine was repaired in my driveway. My concern would be the likely interaction with the HV battery.

MNGreene | 18 novembre 2017

Just picked up my car today and they had replaced the DC-DC converter ($2100 part). 2013 S85. Bighhorn, when you say the fuse can now be replaced, are you speaking of a change to newer models?

@MN
Yes, newer models have the updated converter and it can’t be retrofit to the older cars.

MNGreene | 19 novembre 2017

@BH thanks.

brett4600 | 15 janvier 2018

Had the same issue. $2,100 for the part to fix the heater. June 2013 Vin: p12575. Seems our cars are same vintage. Just beyond warranty by a few months. I got the service guys to waive the labor charge but the part should have been covered even beyond warranty.

sweetmanpe | 15 janvier 2018

My Oct 2013 S had same issue at 68k miles. Part was back ordered but had a loaner X for 3 weeks. I also have the extended warranty and didn’t realize I may end up saving some bucks though got it for peace of mind, not service savings.

ngspencer | 16 janvier 2018

Same issue on my Dec 2013 Vin: P26875 (17k miles). Service order indicated: "There is an electrical fault in the PTC cabin heater. Fault was result of blown fuse in DCDC converter. Vehicle requires replacement of DCDC converter and cabin PTC heater. Corrections: DCDC Converter - 1st Generation"

This happened within 30 days of my warranty expiring so I was still able to purchase the Extended Service for $2100 (less than the $3500 to repair) but still had to wait over a week for the part on back order though.

My regular warranty expired in Dec 2017 and the DCDC converter breaks down in Jan 2018....anyone else find this convenient for Tesla? Tesla should've offered to replace the DCDC converter while still under original warranty given this was a known issue (remedied via design changes with 2014 models).

ur798 | 27 janvier 2018

No heat 1/17 ... DC/DC converter 1st Gen is in back order, I have the loaner. Service said they will have news of when the converter will arrive in 1/31. The PTC heater was replaced. A month ago the 12v battery was replaced and don't know whether related. Found iPhone cable connecting to 12v socket was kind of loosened to the 12v socket and no juice the day without heat. I had to push it in a little in order to get connection again. Just 600 mi out of CPO 100k mi warranty. Total repair is about $3,500 out of pocket.

Bighorn | 27 janvier 2018

@ur
Unless you've had an inordinate amount of goodwill already, they quite often will give a little grace for cars just out of warranty.

MNGreene | 27 janvier 2018

@ur798 - my 12v battery needed replacing a month before my heater too. I can't say I understand how they are related but I find it quite interesting that we had the same issues. Can you explain the relationship in a Electrical for Dummies way?

Sparki | 26 février 2018

Interesting. My DC-DC converter, and AC cooling just went out less than 2months after replacing the 12V battery. This doesn’t seem like coincidence. The cooling was also not working when it went in for the battery, but I think it worked for a while afterward.

Bighorn | 26 février 2018

@Sparki
The 12V likely had issues because the DC-DC converter was already having issues. That's what charges the 12V from the main pack.

Sparki | 26 février 2018

@Bighorn
That makes some sense, but I’d expect them to routinely check the health of the DC-DC converter given what they seemed to know about reliability and consequences already (upgraded the part after 2014).

Bighorn | 26 février 2018

When my heater went, the remote diagnostics picked up on the fuse blown on the DC-DC. They may not have run diagnostics for a 12V. Don't think replacing the 12V created a new problem. Unfortunately, the newer DC-DC converter with repairable fuses cannot be retrofit to the older cars.

DonS | 27 février 2018

This happened on my car way back in 2013. Might be your problem. See the following information from the service order.
Concern: Customer states: No heat coming from the heater. see highlighted open campaign information attached.
Pay Type: Warranty
Cause: tech found ptc cabin heater not working, found open internally in ptc heater
Correction: Heater - PTC replaced ptc heater and re checked working now.
Part: CORE COMPLETE ASSY - PTC AIR HEATER (6007385-00-G)
Qty: 1.00

patvulky | 20 avril 2018

Same on mine. 2012 p85. Dc to dc converter. Expensive part. Still waiting to hear back. I assume the part is back ordered and expensive. I’ve had tons of issues like this. Oh well. Suppose I knew what I was getting into but still frustrating

mgordon | 25 mai 2018

I have a 2003 ModelS p85 with 15,000 and also live in Chicago—Serial number 58XX. I just brought my car in because I was getting a warning about the 12V battery being low. When I went to pick up my car today, they said there was a short in the battery and that all was corrected for free (I do not have an extended warranty). When I got in my car I noticed the AC was not working and the tech told me I would need to leave the car for them to investigate. I just got a text that says:

“Technician did identify the AC compressor has short circuit and the DCDC converter has an internal short. Technician recommending replacement of the AC compressor and the DCDC converter. EST total cost is $4,031.38. This will be to address your AC concern. Would you like to proceed with replacing the DCDC Con and AC compressor or decline? Please feel free to let us know as we plan to order parts—Thank you.”

I responded back asking for someone to call me and it has now been several hours with no call back. I have and have had other luxury cars and never had an AC issue after so few miles and that was so expensive to repair. This is definitely a product defect that Tesla should be convering.

richardgayne | 25 octobre 2018

October 25, 2018 - Cost me $2,400 plus HST (I live in Ontario) to replace the DCDC Converter due to blown fuse on my 2013 Model S 85. I had exceeded my extended warranty by just under 9,000 kilometres. I don't love Tesla any more given I agree wholeheartedly with mgordon May 25, 2018 that "This is definitely a product defect that Tesla should be covering".

bkenchan | 13 novembre 2018

Just recently had my car in for annual service and after that my heater stopped working. Seems to be the same issue as everyone else here but its just funny how it stopped working after the service. When my car was still under warranty the AC was replaced because it went bad and now the heater. What is this?

Bighorn | 13 novembre 2018

I had my heater fail after service. They do a thermal stress test that has the potential to push parts over the edge.

bkenchan | 13 novembre 2018

@Bighorn They said its not their fault but hey what do I know. This is only the second time I am having this issue and this time its outside of the warranty so I have to pay for it. Just my luck. . . .

Bighorn | 13 novembre 2018

It never even dawned on me that it might be related until you mentioned it, although I recently had a cooling pump go bad after a service and they mentioned the possibility there.

bkenchan | 16 novembre 2018

Is there a fix for this such that its as easy as replacing a fuse from the fuse box?

Hkinkade | 20 novembre 2018

Hmmmm our heater is not working. Haven’t diagnosed issue yet. Question, our car is a June 2014 S85
, sn44xxx. Does anyone know if this was pre or post heater design change?

hpartsch | 28 mars 2019

My heat just went. From the looks of it -- the part will just be replaced with an old one? Is it less likely this one will die?

hpartsch | 28 mars 2019

My heat just went. From the looks of it -- the part will just be replaced with an old one? Is it less likely this one will die?

TeslaTap.com | 29 mars 2019

@hpartsch - I'd expect it to be replaced with a new part. As to the version of the part, generally Tesla will install the latest version of the part that is compatible with your car. Tesla makes design improvements all the time and newer designed parts are usually better than the older counterparts. For example, if a handle dies, Tesla replaces it with a version 3 handle, which has better long term reliability, and also feels a bit better than a v1 part.

Now some changes are not backwards compatible. For example, if a MCU1 goes out (which has a number of minor version changes), they replace it with a late version MCU1, but not a MCU2. The wiring harness changed between MCu1 and MCU2 so they are not drop-in compatible.

Also some large parts may be factory rebuilt to new specs. For example, the drive unit is usually swapped out with a rebuilt unit.