Forums

Question about Real time traffic on NAV system

Question about Real time traffic on NAV system

As a non-owner, like many, my date has slid until Jul-Sep 2018. I do have a question for any M3 owners - I now have a BMW 3 series and will miss the rain-sensing wipers and HUD. Does anyone know if the NAV system on the M3 offers real-time traffic? With the heavy traffic, having my NAV system recommend detours has saved me hours stuck in traffic. I am looking forward to my config email, but it does seem strange that I will be giving up tech to move to the most technologically advanced car in its class. Thanks!

Agent_86 | 23 février 2018

I will be torn between the convenience and visual appeal of the onscreen nav, and the superior routing of Waze, but with self-driving as a long-term goal, I understand the need to favor proprietary versus screen share.

mikepisko | 23 février 2018

You won’t miss rain-sensing wipers as the Model 3 has them (in beta at the moment but they are worked no fine for me). There is real-time traffic as indicated by different color coding on the map.

You don’t need HUD IMO.

Michelle

*worked should be working

hrother | 23 février 2018

Thank you for the prompt response. I am so ready to config.

eeb9 | 23 février 2018

@mike/Michele- does the NAV give you alternative routing based on traffic or just show it to you?

@eeb9, I didn’t see alternate routing, just a color coding on the map. It will reroute you. Here’s what the manual says:

Model 3 detects real-time tra c conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival times based on tra c. In situations where tra c conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival. and an alternate route is available, the navigation system can reroute you to your destination. To turn this feature on and o , touch the Settings icon on the map, and then touch Online Routing. You can also specify the minimum amount of minutes that must be saved before you are rerouted by touching the arrows associated with the Re-Route If It Saves More Than setting. You can specify up to thirty minutes as the number of minutes that must be saved.

eeb9 | 23 février 2018

Awesome - thanks!

EVRider | 23 février 2018

FYI, the traffic-based alternate routing doesn't always work well in the Model S, but once there are more Model 3 owners sharing their experiences here, we'll know if Model 3's routing is any better.