Forums

Tow Mode

Tow Mode

We are towing a T@B 320. After about an hour of towing, especially uphill, our indicator goes from blue to red. Sometimes it goes back to blue when braking or stopping. We have only had one significant tow, we are now on our return trip home, and it is doing it again. Also, we have to manually put the car in tow mode, as it does not automatically do so when connected to the hitch. Anyone experience this?:

namsam1106 | 4 avril 2018

It appears the blue tow mode light will remain on if auto headlights is turned off.

However, still need to manually turn tow mode on from console. It does not automatically when connected to hitch.

sosmerc | 4 avril 2018

Just curious, what does putting the car into "tow mode" actually do?

Tropopause | 4 avril 2018

Actually the OP is referring to Trailer Mode which adjusts parameters for Model X pulling a trailer. Tow Mode is actually for pulling a Tesla onto a flatbed.

sosmerc | 5 avril 2018

Thanks ! Good to know as they are clearly two completely different modes. I just got through reading somewhere that you might want to use "tow mode" when cruising through one of those auto car washes....similar to putting an ICE into neutral.

drdavelynch | 5 avril 2018

I would just put it in neutral for the car wash.

Uncle Paul | 6 avril 2018

Car may switch from neutral to park if someone is not in the seat.

kmclancy | 15 avril 2019

Can anyone answer the original question? while towing a trailer, there is a trailer Icon on the Dash, the icon is normally Blue but seamanly randomly turns red. My first thought was maybe with the brake lights, but then it was red all the way up a hill, so no brakes. And it was blue stopped at a light.