Forums

400A gateway anytime soon?

400A gateway anytime soon?

I am trying to install a whole home power wall back up. I have 2, 200 Amp electrical panels that run my house. I am being told that I can not run multiple gateways due to local code so I am forced to back up only one of my electric panels (Portland OR, USA)

Does anyone have any info on a 400A gateway becoming available any time soon?

Claudedohrn | 21 ottobre 2018

Also interested. Similar situation, and I won’t do trenching if only 200A gateway.

Patrick | 24 ottobre 2018

I’m suspicious of any “local code” that would prevent using two gateways, not sure why that would be the case. Suggest verifying this info again. Please share findings.

BearHeart | 11 novembre 2018

I have the same situation (2 x 200A panels) was told that it was a technical limitation that prevents using multiple gateways.

Nwshoeguy | 29 dicembre 2018

It appears that it is not a local code but a Tesla Powerwall system limitation. Hope they make a change to the gateway soon. Does anyone have any updated information on a 400A gateway?

dgellman | 8 gennaio 2019

I have the same problem i have spoken to many people at Tesla and no one has any definitive answer. So I guess as of now we have to wait.

ir | 9 gennaio 2019

Count me in as interested. 2 panels with 2 gateways would mean 2 different sets of batteries that can’t balance load across the 2 branches. Hardly a cost effective nor desirable setup.

dgellman | 13 gennaio 2019

maybe if we can get enough people to call/email in about a 400 amp gateway Tesla will get moving on one.

fdelzingaro | 16 gennaio 2019

I just talked to the lead powerwall sales rep in NV. He said "no forseable future" on the 400 amp gateway.

steve0 | 18 gennaio 2019

DISCLAIMER: I am not an electrician

So, for those that have 2x 200 AMP panels, does your house really have that many electrical runs and load requirement to justify both (and a 400A feed to the utility)? Also, have you had Telsa come out and do a site survey?

The reason I ask is because I currently have a 200A Main with a 100A sub-panel that is adequate sizing for my home (nearly 5k sqft + EV charger). I am having Tesla install a 20.79 kW PV array (19 kW AC nameplate) with full battery backup (3x powerwalls) and the utility stipulates that any PV system over 15 kW AC needs a 400A main, so I'm having the main upgraded as well. But in reviewing the electrical diagram, Tesla is only connecting one leg (200A) of the upgraded main when doing the install, so the other 200A leg in the main will be empty.

Just curious if you had a side visit and if the tech would modify your setup to run off a single 200A leg, so you wouldn't need a second gateway. Again, I am not an electrician so this may all be a laughable matter to someone in the know... Just a thought.

Patrick | 20 gennaio 2019

I'm getting back into planning mode for a new solar PV generator with multiple PW2s for a new home. The home is not that large, but like our current home it will likely have to support heavier than average electrical loads due to multiple HVAC units, multiple EV charger connections, hot tub, and a few other high power items.

At first I thought a 200A utility service would suffice, but now I'm thinking we'll need at least 300A to make sure we're not coming back later for any major rework of the main electrical panels. After reviewing this thread and the PW2 installation guide, it looks like we'll have to deal with the 200A gateway limitation as well.

My questions related to available best practices and/or workarounds given the 200A limitation:

- Has anyone else already installed PW2s and a backup gateway with something greater than 200A utility service?

- If so, how did you work around the 200A gateway limitation?

- I'm assuming one way to handle this is to segment a 300-400A utility service entrance into two main breaker panels of 200A each in the home, and to allocate the loads that need battery backup into only one of those panels, kind of like the "essential loads" configuration example shown here:

https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/install/powerwall/powerwall-install...

Using that approach seems like it might complicate the solar PV connections needed to power the whole home, and we wouldn't really get the "whole-house" backup we desire in this situation, right?

- Any other creative ideas out there?

@steve0 - I have quite a bit of residential electrical experience - rest assured than many larger homes really do need 300-400A electrical service.

Patrick | 26 gennaio 2019

Quick update on the 400A gateway - just spoke with a Tesla installer handling a new PV/PW2 project at a nearby home. He says the 400A gateway is a high demand item that will be available later on this year.

We’ll see what happens. FWIW he was very credible.

george | 28 gennaio 2019

I have 400A service coming into the mail panel of my home. That panel is now forwarded to the input breaker ahead of the gateway. The gateway is limited to 200A, so it forwards to 200A to a new circuit breaker panel which now contains all breakers moved over to back them up and a 200A breaker that feeds the secondary 200A panel upstairs. Net-Net we can only deliver 200A to our home, but that’s plent for our needs and works great.

zubinanary | 31 gennaio 2019
Patrick | 31 gennaio 2019

@zubin - thanks for sharing the links. This is the first I've seen of a V2 backup gateway, interesting. The link is an Australian site, correct? Are they installing this version of the gateway there?

The one I saw being installed just last week in Florida was V1, wondering if V2 is available here in the US?

The specs don't seem to mention a max current rating, i.e. 200 vs. 400A...

zubinanary | 31 gennaio 2019

I questioned Tesla Energy a few weeks ago about paying for an upgrade from my v1 to the new v2 gateway, and she said they haven't started to push them out to their US customer yet. I asked her about the difference, and the only thing she could say is that it was more about esthetics. Internal antennas and it is to look like a Powerwall itself vs. just a sub panel box.

I can't even find anything on the Tesla US site. I guess it's coming soon, but no idea if it's the new 400 amp or not.