Forums

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

From Elon Today 9:40 AM - 11 May 2018
"Tesla will enable orders end of next week for dual motor AWD & performance. Starting production of those in July. Air suspension prob next year."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/994980692160217088

AJPHL | 11 maggio 2018

More commentary https://electrek .co/2018/05/11/tesla-model-3-dual-motor-performance-versions-next-week/

Disappointed air suspension isn’t coming until next year.

JH89 | 11 maggio 2018

Sure hope there will be a standard battery option with that AWD. I'm fine paying around $40k, but the added range doesn't do anything for me.

GODOFTHUNDER | 11 maggio 2018

My guess is $30,000 increase for a AWD P3.

noleaf4me | 11 maggio 2018

I still want mine in the next 2 weeks as promised!

n2scuba | 11 maggio 2018

Oh, no. Just as I’m finally coming closer to a configuration invite — reserved 4-1-16 at 12:10 am — looks like all those who were ahead of me but waiting for AWD will now be back in the game. More waiting.

AMAZEU | 11 maggio 2018

They won’t make any awd till July at earliest

CASEMAN | 11 maggio 2018

@noleaf4me - I'm with you. I want my car as quickly as they can get me my VIN and deliver!

@n2scuba - I wouldn't be too worried at this point. I would guess you'll have your invite before those waiting for AWD are able to configure. Again, just a guess but don't fret.

Resrch03 | 11 maggio 2018

Nice. Still have to wait for the actual production (and lighter interior), but this is progress. Or at least a step that helps with the wait.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 11 maggio 2018

ravincent: That would be a '$30,000 increase' over... what? I figure a Performance oriented Tesla Model 3 would be designed to embarrass cars like the BMW M3, Mercedes-AMG C63, Cadillac ATS-V, and Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio... for less. Of course, I could be wrong, especially if it is required to include all current maxed out options in addition to the Performance trim level to get one. What I really want to know is, when will there be a Coupe version offered?

Iwantmy3 | 11 maggio 2018

I would have preferred the AWD but just couldn't risk waiting for it. Now I hope the added cost is high enough to feel good about not getting it :) A $30000 increase would certainly convince me that I made the right decision to go with 1st production.

christian | 11 maggio 2018

I wonder if you can reconfigure if AWD option becomes available and you haven't received your VIN yet... thoughts?

GODOFTHUNDER | 11 maggio 2018

Im guessing a fully loaded first production model 3. Im thinking around $90,000 for the AWD P3. Just a wild guess based on the price increase for a performance model S.

mos6507 | 11 maggio 2018

Time to pee in people's cheerios but I think they are rushing these options out as a cash grab. That's why they aren't waiting until 5000 and why no standard range.

nikhilm_2000 | 11 maggio 2018

$30K would be too much for a AWD and P version on top of everything else making it close to $90K. Its anybody's guess right now but I hope its not that much.

ybbor | 11 maggio 2018

When it comes to Tesla, what exactly is different between the AWD and Performance models. Model S for example? Are the motor's/wiring the only difference with Performance? Is the suspension/wheels the same? interior the same? exterior styling the same?

johnyi | 11 maggio 2018

If it's anything like the S/X, the P model will have a bigger rear motor, upgraded electronics to handle more current from the battery pack, and capacitors to store extra energy for a hard launch. And come standard with PUP but maybe not EAP or 19" wheels. Maybe red brake calipers too. Still, I'm guessing most of the $40k upgrade price on the S/X P models is profit, and why not? No other car close to them in performance is under $150K.

My guess is the M3P will be similarly priced - 0-60 in maybe 3s and priced around $80K. Depends in part on whether the M3D will be faster than it's RWD counterparts, as Tesla will want to make the P sufficiently faster to get people to pay the price diff. So yeah I also predict AWD will be it's own model, maybe $4-5K more than RWD, and probably eventually available on SR battery but not until the SR battery is made available later this year.

And yes mos, it makes perfect biz sense to add more expensive options first, especially with all the folks waiting for AWD, and save the lower end options for later. It sucks for those who can only afford $27.5K for a car, as it likely won't happen before the full tax credit ends.

Tesla is pretty simple to figure out. They work in readily identifiable patterns, from the S to the X to the 3.

sbeggs | 11 maggio 2018

I'm guessing that over sixty percent of all Model 3 orders are waiting for AWD.

disapr | 11 maggio 2018

I think P Edition will be 100% more than the base model. +/- 5k. Perfect.

johnyi | 11 maggio 2018

I still don't understand the desire/need for air suspension on the M3. What other sedan this size or price has air suspension? You don't see it on BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus cars this size. Just their big road cruisers. Smaller cars don't need it, as they have shorter overhangs and focus more on weight savings / simplicity.

Shock | 11 maggio 2018

"Sure hope there will be a standard battery option with that AWD."

No chance of it at this time.

"Time to pee in people's cheerios but I think they are rushing these options out as a cash grab. That's why they aren't waiting until 5000 and why no standard range."

Well, literally a week ago (?) he said AWD when they hit 5k, which they haven't. Now all of a sudden it's AWD next week, and neither AWD nor P were mentioned at time of unveil a year ago, when the $35k was, and it continues to be punted.

Rodo | 11 maggio 2018

I'm annoyed!. Yeah, yeah I know ..no one cares but... I want SR with premium package and EAP, that's $45k. So reserving the first day (online) didn't matter ...I'm still at the ...towards...the end of the line!

bayareakid2008 | 11 maggio 2018

Note they are taking reservations for AWD 2 months prior to production starting. They need the cash.

jithesh | 11 maggio 2018

Good that I ordered LR one when i got the invite. I was thanking to wait for awd to get air suspension but I needed a car desperately. So I just went with what they currently. I cannot wait another year.

gballant4570 | 11 maggio 2018

Shock, read the OP once again. The assertion stated is ENABLE ORDERS next week - actual production still expected in July. Funny thing about delusion - everything you see appears to be validation, until you actually LOOK at it.......

jcd82 | 11 maggio 2018

Note that it will probably be an 6-8 week estimate from order to delivery for the AWD which would be the estimated time frame for them hitting 5,000 / week. So really nothing new here.

jcd82 | 11 maggio 2018

And I was ninja’d

Shock | 11 maggio 2018

^

True, but it is weird they would accept orders so far out from production, given they cannot meet demand on LR. It's also no surprise the $35k is nowhere to be seen.

rdavis | 11 maggio 2018

"bayareakid2008 | May 11, 2018
Note they are taking reservations for AWD 2 months prior to production starting. They need the cash."

Not really... end of next week when the orders open up is midway into May... 6 weeks until they start production. My guess is it gives them time to take orders and set schedule production cycles and inventory requirements for the AWD/P/RWD versions to meet demand.

rdavis | 11 maggio 2018

@shock... not really weird. Getting the orders in early (6 weeks ahead of production start) will allow vendors to have the proper supply available and they can then also set production cycles to meet the demand for the AWD/RWD/P versions. If you ask me... if you wanted to take the orders when you were ready to start production you'd be late and have the potential to have all kinds of supply issues.

Alex_SD | 11 maggio 2018

Awesome, an M3P: LR+PUG+EAP+AWD+PERF... That's close to $80k in my opinion...

What I've realized is that Musk is dying for profits. He's coming out with the MOST EXPENSIVE car yet (M3)!

What about the $35k model? Never??

AMAZEU | 11 maggio 2018

They probably will have filled all first production orders by the end of July and will need to move on.

mos6507 | 11 maggio 2018

"I still don't understand the desire/need for air suspension on the M3."

It wouldn't be needed if the ride on springs was smoother. I'm interested in it for the promise of a softer (and hopefully also quieter) ride.

jjgunn | 11 maggio 2018
bayareakid2008 | 11 maggio 2018

Rdavis,

If Tesla just wanted to gauge interest in the AWD/P, they can do that without taking the deposit 2 months in advance. It's a pretty obvious cash grab. Nothing wrong with that, I actually think it's a great idea (IMO, they should let EVERYONE in line submit deposits/place orders to maximize their cash flow), but let's be real about what they are doing...

christian | 11 maggio 2018

Anyone who was expecting a $35k Model 3 early in the production process wasn't paying attention. Tesla was clear that deliveries would begin with the higher end models and the West Coast and move to the cheaper version of the Model 3 later.

Musavviradam | 11 maggio 2018

Well, he announced he will taking orders for AWD and performances but did he ever announcing the pricing??

EVRider | 11 maggio 2018
Musavviradam | 11 maggio 2018

announce* oops.

rdavis | 11 maggio 2018

"bayareakid2008 | May 11, 2018
Rdavis,

If Tesla just wanted to gauge interest in the AWD/P, they can do that without taking the deposit 2 months in advance. It's a pretty obvious cash grab. Nothing wrong with that, I actually think it's a great idea (IMO, they should let EVERYONE in line submit deposits/place orders to maximize their cash flow), but let's be real about what they are doing..."

Again, it's not 2 months in advance... it's 1.5 months (6 weeks). Also, putting down you are waiting for AWD or P version on the website isn't a good gauge of what the initial demand will be. Some may say they want that, but still decide to wait. Best way to know your ACTUAL commitment will be to open it up and let the user put their money down to confirm it.

They are still limited to 5k per week production, so I don't see how it could be a money grab... if they wanted to grab money they could just send MORE invites out for the LR version they are making now (it's the same deposit requirements). It's not like they are close to exhausting the pre-order list. I don't think they have even moved past day 1 orders....

sbeggs | 11 maggio 2018

Has anyone investigated the latest VIN sequences to see if AWD VINs are part of that VIN request?

Alex_SD | 11 maggio 2018

More expensive the car, more profits they make. With a production limit just under 5k per week, more AWD/P they produce, more money they make...
News flash: AWD/P is ramping up, RWD/LR will slow down and have longer delivery times... good bye RWD/SR...

jcd82 | 11 maggio 2018

There are no news flashes here. Nothing has changed from the estimates in the delivery estimator. I don’t understand the doom and gloom.

carlk | 11 maggio 2018

@shock
" they are rushing these options out as a cash grab"

Why are you still here? Anyway you ought to know some business 101. The company that has the ability to grab the most cash wins.

SamO | 11 maggio 2018

Tesla told you that they were going to be cash flow positive and there are 10,000 reservation holders that want an AWD performance and will pay $70,000. As an aside, average sale price for the next few months should be at least $60,000 and will mean a world of pain for the shorts.

I just picked up my Model 3 from service. Tesla upgraded my suspension for free and it feels amazing. So smooth.

I will configure my second Model 3 now that these options are finalizing.

I'd like light interior and AWD for trips to the snow. Would consider performance spec . . .

Congratulations to the (im)patient waiters. Enjoy ownership.

SamO | 11 maggio 2018

I could be wrong.

It could be 100,000 reservations-holders that could want the AWD Performace variation which could cost up to $79,000 . . .

lulz

Bighorn | 11 maggio 2018

Awesome

Bighorn | 11 maggio 2018

Thought there’d be fewer turds in the punch bowl with the strategic cancelled reservations. Alas...

I always figured the pricing would parallel the S where top end was roughly twice as much as base, so I’m guessing price range will be $35-70K.

dsvick | 11 maggio 2018

@mos6507 - "I think they are rushing these options out as a cash grab. That's why they aren't waiting until 5000 and why no standard range."

I don't see how you think it could be a cash grab when everyone that configures, regardless of configuration, puts the same amount down. I also don't understand you're "rushing" them out comment either, this is actually a month or so later than when we were expecting them last fall when he said 6 months, and it is right on time from his comments about July a few weeks ago. The only one rushing is you ... to a negative judgement, but I guess we should just expect that from you and your two friends.

wiboater4 | 11 maggio 2018

I'm more than happy to give them more money! I've actually been hoping they would let me give them the $2500 . now to help speed things along. Thie news that I can configure with all wheel drive and white interior made my day!!

rdavis | 11 maggio 2018

"Bighorn | May 11, 2018
Thought there’d be fewer turds in the punch bowl with the strategic cancelled reservations. Alas...

I always figured the pricing would parallel the S where top end was roughly twice as much as base, so I’m guessing price range will be $35-70K."f

It's going to be $ 60K with just the AWD added to it as is... I don't think Tesla is going to give away P version for only 10k more.... I'd expect $20-25k more... so more in the $ 80-85k range for PUP/EAP/Perf/LR

Pages