Forums

Navigation Map Problems

Navigation Map Problems

Is anyone else having navigation map problems? My navigation maps recently started to having random blank sections on the screen for no reason. Sometimes as I get closer to my destination the map goes completely blank except for the red triangle icon that continues to move on the blank screen as though it is still on the map. Is this an individual issue for me or a network issue? Anyone else?

TranzNDance | 19 luglio 2018

This happened to me earlier this week. A reboot fixed it.

peter | 20 luglio 2018

@TranzNDance the same for me. Never had this problem before.

redacted | 20 luglio 2018

In past, Tesla has had occasion where the maps generally become unavailable for a few days. I haven't noticed it recently. You can get a good hint about it by zooming the maps in your car and seeing if anything shows up or not.

As @TranzNDance (I don't want to know) says, rebooting can be A Good Thing.

PagemakersS75P3 | 20 luglio 2018

Yep I’m having it too.

Just updated to 2018.26 and maybe that’s fixed it.

bp | 20 luglio 2018

There are three likely causes:

You've lost internet connectivity. Check the internet signal and verify that you are still connected. If you aren't connected this will impact not only the map, but also the browser and the ability to enter new navigation destinations or calculate routes. Sometimes this is due to an AT&T (US) issue. There's nothing you can do about the lost internet, other than continue driving and wait for it to come back. If it never comes back, then you may have a hardware problem and will need service.

There are problems with the server providing the maps. You'll have internet connectivity, other web-related functions work. If other apps using the internet are still working, and the problem doesn't clear in a reasonable timeframe, you can contact Tesla and report the outage, otherwise there isn't anything you can do.

And sometimes the problem is due to software issues on the console processor, preventing new map fragments from being downloaded and/or displayed. When this happens, you may be able to get the map display working again by rebooting the console processor (holding down both steering wheel thumbwheels). You can also use the bug report voice command to report the issue, so Tesla can look at your car logs and help diagnose the cause of the problem and hopefully issue a software update to fix it (if they don't already know the cause).

During a road trip last weekend, we had several instances when the map started getting blank areas, and we were able to get the map working again by doing a reboot. So it's possible a recent release has introduced an intermittent map problem.

EVRider | 20 luglio 2018

Any issues with Slacker or Tunein when these map issues occur? That would support the theory of problems with cell connectivity.

baldwin | 20 luglio 2018

I had this problem one time. I noticed that the map returned if I told it to navigate somewhere, then the map disappeared after I cancelled the trip. Luckily I haven't seen it come up again.

OldDrummer | 21 luglio 2018

I am having issues too. Traffic not updating from day prior. Upon zooming in all traffic goes away. Zoom out displays a variety of traffic problems only to go away or display the traffic congestion from yesterday. TuneIn and Slacker not working for extended periods. Reboot does not clear the issue. Any chance the cell service for 3G is beginning to disappear? These outages are occurring more frequently the last week or so.

RAR | 21 luglio 2018

I had the map go blank one time recently so far; Slacker continued to work. A reboot fixed it. Release 24.1, AP 2.0. I've also noticed indications of traffic problems where none actually existed, mostly at stop signs.

jstenback | 21 luglio 2018

I'm seeing the traffic update problems too, just like OldDrummer. Been seeing it since Wednesday this week, before that I didn't drive the car for a few weeks, so hard to tell when the problem started.

BlufftonBob | 21 luglio 2018

I had the problem of disappearing map when we were on 2018.24.1. We are now on 2018.26 and so far the Nav maps including traffic are working fine. Fingers crossed!

Stiction | 22 luglio 2018

Have seen stale traffic data too....Eventually it updates but looks like a caching bug of some kind.

danrigo | 22 luglio 2018

I had the same problem last week. I think it’s because the nav upgrade. That’s why I always have my Tom Tom in the car !

StatsApp | 22 luglio 2018

2018.24 does have this problem. Can anyone confirm that 2018.26 fixes this problem?

jstenback | 29 luglio 2018

2018.26 did *not* fix this problem for me :(

dthomas | 15 gennaio 2020

I have a 2018 Tesla S. Recently my navigation map stopped showing traffic congestion. I tried rebooting, updating software and reading blogs from people saying to tap the map and reengage the traffic. When I tap my map, I do not get a prompt in the lower right corner to activate my traffic congestion. Any suggestions

I have a 2018 Tesla S. Recently my navigation map stopped showing traffic congestion. I tried rebooting, updating software and reading blogs from people saying to tap the map and reengage the traffic. When I tap my map, I do not get a prompt in the lower right corner to activate my traffic congestion. Any suggestions

Bighorn | 15 gennaio 2020

@dthomas
When did you purchase? After July 2018, the premium connectivity was a one year perk.

Dec, 2018. So I need to upgrade to premium connectivity to receive navigation now?

Pungoteague_Dave | 15 gennaio 2020

correct

EVRider | 15 gennaio 2020
sentabo | 15 gennaio 2020

dthomas - In short, you can still get nav w/o purchasing premium connectivity, but you won't get live traffic visualization.

EVRider | 15 gennaio 2020

Or satellite views.