Forums

'phantom drain' really bad it seems

'phantom drain' really bad it seems

I received my car yesterday night on a full charge. I have driven a total of about 60 miles and only have 185 miles remaining which means there has been about 60 miles of phantom drain in a single day. I did have an update while away which may or may not effect the battery. Is there anything I should be watching out for to solve this? Is it possible that I have a bad battery? Any feedback would be great.

Magic 8 Ball | 20 settembre 2018

Waaaaaaaaaay too early to worry about anything. See how it behaves after a couple cycles and then judge.

Teslafan87 | 20 settembre 2018

I am relying exclusively on super chargers for the first few months in a area where they aren't necessarily super convenient for me. Why would I not be concerned about half of my battery being gone within 20 hours when I just paid 60k+ for a car? Is this something that many people experience when first receiving?

Magic 8 Ball | 20 settembre 2018

185+60= 245

Assuming your "full charge" was ~310 you are "missing" 65 miles. The reason "missing" is in quotes is that when your car reported full charge in miles it made assumptions. Most people that get a brand new TESLA (I know I did) gunned the car and tested the acceleration and speed right off the bat. Driving with "spirit" drastically reduces actual range so the "missing" may just be the price paid for the extra fun. Charge the car up and see what percentage reports what range and get that data point first.

I've been sitting here at work at my desk and the mileage has gone down 10 miles in the last two hours. I will give it a charge tomorrow and see if anything changes.

sroh | 20 settembre 2018

I bet the issue is cabin overheat protection. Turn that off and see how it does.

Will do thanks for the advice!

M3NOICE | 20 settembre 2018

Yes. Leave it ON (keeps interior under 120F), but switch it to "No AC". I lose about 3 miles in full sun while at work.

sroh | 20 settembre 2018

I was losing 2-3 miles per hour when COP was on. Once I turned it off, my phantom drain decreased to 3 miles per day.

Teslafan87 | 21 settembre 2018

Quick update: I wasn't putting my car in sleep... once I did that (swipe my app away) it seems to be much much better.

LostInTx | 24 settembre 2018

After three months of ownership, I've seen an apparent battery drain. I say this because my nightly charge level hasn't changed; I've not touched the "sliding bar". Over that time, my morning mileage has slowly regressed, going from 258 available miles a few days after delivery to 246 this morning.

I'm apprehensive. Should I be?

CST | 24 settembre 2018

Mine has gone down by 3 miles...2.5 months in.

gpinzone | 24 settembre 2018

Turn off Cabin Overheat Protection.

dellco | 24 settembre 2018

Where is the option to turn off COP? Also, last night my battery went from 61m (enough for me to get to work where I can charge) to 29m while sitting on my driveway. I have has the car for a few weeks and this is the only time I have noticed that crazy of a drop. Luckily I woke up early and plugged it in so I could reliably get to work, but it was in the 40s last night here - there's no COP in effect.

I just went to my app to see how charging was going and the app is reporting that the interior temperature is 103F but outside right now its 53F. That doesn't seem good, or right. Any advice?

Iwantmy3 | 24 settembre 2018

dellco,
I have said for a while, it would be nice to be able to roll the windows up and down with the app. This would go a long way to avoiding overheated cabins without the need to actively cool them.

LostInTx,
I had a couple charges where the available miles suddenly dropped (~7 miles per charge). Since then they seem to have returned while charging to the same point. No need to panic.......yet.

jefjes | 24 settembre 2018

I'm trying to monitor and log my drains and from the inconsistency, I'm seeing, I'm leaning on software glitches having to do with sleep modes being interrupted by something unknown. I always close my apps but since a few updates ago it appears in the pull-down items at the top of my phone so must still be on in the back ground plus makes sense as to why I can walk up and open my car from a sleep or locked mode if the phone is present. The first couple months, my car always charged to 217 miles at 70% but now it fluctuates between 213 and 210. Some days it will drop from being charged while still parked in the garage at a cool temp by anywhere from 3-10 miles before I even go out to unplug it and that is usually over a 4-6 hour window. I have seen it go up a couple miles after charging from the reported finish charge and then fall back down a few miles. All this while just parked in a cool garage. Still waiting on local service to call me back on this issue I reported over a week ago and they told me they would download my car info and look into it but nothing yet. They are pretty slammed with all the new deliveries so I'm being patient and still logging.

Iwantmy3 - my concern is that if it is 100F inside the Model3 then it is because the car is heating it? Its not hot enough for the car to heat up that much in 50F weather. I'll go check it..

Iwantmy3 | 24 settembre 2018

dellco,
On a sunny day with that big glass roof and the windows closed, it will get hot inside.

I rolled down the windows because it was pretty warm in there, and looked up how to disable COP. This doesn't help me with my overnight draining though - 62 miles down to 29 is nuts. Do I call Tesla?