Forums

Sound Proofing the Model X

Sound Proofing the Model X

Has anybody had additional sound insulation installed in their Model X?

I've scoured tmc.com as well as youtube, and while there are a number of extensive and very detailed items about adding sound proofing/suppresion material to a Model S, I've turned up nothing on doing so to a Model X.

I'd appreciate leads that anyone can offer up.

Thanks.

lilbean | 14 ottobre 2018

Wouldn’t it be similar to the Model S?

avesraggiana | 14 ottobre 2018

@lilbean. Now that you mention it, I suppose it would be.

What I’ve noticed is that more road noise gets into the Model X than in the Model S. The primary source of noise in the Model S seems to come from wind rush, something that could only really be fixed if Tesla were to use thicker glass panes.

Since road noise is the primary culprit in the X, I’m thinking that adding sound insulation in the falcon wing doors and in the wheel fenders might go some way to cutting down road noise.

lilbean | 14 ottobre 2018

I’ve noticed the road noise too.

poloX | 15 ottobre 2018

Perhaps, tesla should buy a Texas and reverse engineer to see how they sound proof it?

jjgunn | 15 ottobre 2018

Man are we spoiled.

You all wanna hear road noise? Get into my Toyota Yaris, I'll introduce you to road noise.

I have noticed some road noise in the X. It's still the quietest vehicle I've ever owned.

jabe999 | 15 ottobre 2018

I used an app on my phone to compare the noise in my X vs RX350. Same road. Same speed. The X was about 10 decibels quieter.

avesraggiana | 15 ottobre 2018

@jabe999. That’s interesting, Model X versus the Lexus RX350. Lexus built their legend in part on how well they isolated their occupants from outside noise.

Which app did you use and where did you mount your phone? have Decibel Pro on my iphone but I haven’t used it yet to get a reading in the Model X. I’m thinking I would place it in the centre console phone charger.

lilbean | 15 ottobre 2018

Yes. We are spoiled. Haha! The Prius is awful!
I think I need an intercom to communicate with the third row. :P

paul | 15 ottobre 2018

Where I live (NZ) the roads and motorways are generally not smooth but are rough tar + stones. It makes for quite noisy driving. The few sections that are smooth make a *huge* difference to the noise when driving.

I am very interested if anyone does figure out a way to cut down the road noise.

poloX | 15 ottobre 2018

You own a Tesla or 2 or 3 and you complain that we are spoiled??? We are the most spoil people in the world!!!

poloX | 15 ottobre 2018

You own a Tesla or 2 or 3 and you complain that we are spoiled??? We are the most spoil people in the world!!!

poloX | 15 ottobre 2018

jjgunn | 15 ottobre 2018

Three times for effect. Well done. :-D

Uncle Paul | 15 ottobre 2018

I did two simple things that quieted down my X a bit. While it is the quietest SUV I have ever owned I noticed when I drive with the mesh upper windshield screen installed it is even a bit more muffled.

I also installed the Maxpedic floor mats, and they also seem to make a little difference. Love these floor mats. They fit like a glove and dress up the interior. Form fitting.

I love being able to speak to others in the car without raising my voice.

jabe999 | 15 ottobre 2018

avesraggiana. I used an android app. I held the phone in my hand while I drove both cars. Nothing scientific.

jpcollins9 | 15 ottobre 2018

Our X was notably (though unscientifically verified) quieter then our S. Just put new tires on the S (Pirellis) and have noticed a marked improvement in road noise for the S, comparable to the quietness of the X. I don't know how the X's Continental tires are rated for noise but based on my small sample, suspect that tires have a significant effect on noise in a Tesla. Just sayin'

georgehawley.fl.us | 15 ottobre 2018

My hearing aid batteries went dead and the car got quieter. Does that count?

jbdvm1988 | 15 ottobre 2018

My X is noticeably louder than my S. Rough roads make it worse and cement is the loudest. I just had a ranger to my house for a minor isssue and he said the Continental tires are XL rated due to the weight of the vehicle and they are noisier than regular passenger tires. I sure wish the vehicle had better sound insulation since the noise makes for a less pleasant ride. I went as far as to buy a decibel meter and my X is the loudest, the S is less noisy and my Tundra is the quietest on the same road at the same speed

lilbean | 15 ottobre 2018

Haha, @george!

ratchet | 15 ottobre 2018

@george, if your batteries died and the car got quieter, it's obvious that the batteries were generating road noise. Where in your car are the batteries located? If they are generating noise, perhaps all of us could get quieter cars if we remove the hearing aid batteries.

inconel | 16 ottobre 2018

@ratchet Are you out of your mind? Do you really expect george to give us his home address here in the forum so that you can go remove his hearing aid batteries?

Uncle Paul | 16 ottobre 2018

Another tip to make your X even quieter is to keep installed the composit and carpeted rear shelf divider on it's lowest setting.

It can really dampen out noise from the rear.

Uncle Paul | 16 ottobre 2018

Another tip to make your X even quieter is to keep installed the composit and carpeted rear shelf divider on it's lowest setting.

It can really dampen out noise from the rear.

Triggerplz | 16 ottobre 2018

Home address, Who asked for a home address?

jnuyens | 20 aprile 2019

Anyone tried something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPBVPJ_ZTg

MyXinTx | 21 aprile 2019

In the beginning, there were early MX's that traveled around as pre-release demos for those of use with MX deposits, who were scheduled to test drive a MX to encourage submitting an order. After 5 mins, I was "sick and disheartened" how noisy the ride was, even on surface roads, horrible on the highway. As I considering cancelling my order, it was announced that this was a known issue and the door and window gaskets and seals were being revised, and most of these were "Founder" vehicles traded out for this reason. I still delayed my final order until I demo's a quieter model. However, after years in Lexus, Porsche (cayenne diesel), and MB vehicles, my MX is still the loudest I have owned at highway speeds,

In addition, I made the mistake of purchasing Michelin tires, typically known for smoother and quieter ride. While this achieved both goals on my Cayenne, not so much on my '16 MX.

No reduction in road noise or smoothness, and the tires were essentially ruined after 3500 miles, with cupping and excessive interior wear, such that my Discount Tire experts explained it was caused by the heavy vehicle and the softer rubber which gives Michelin tires those desired benefits.

Upon return to Tesla SvC where tires were purchased ($2200), they shrugged their shoulders, essentially saying "bummer for you", commenting how they are still learning about these things.... no warranty, replacement, discount, etc. Fortunately I retained the original Conti's.

They did mention that the setting that lowers the suspension above X MPH probably did contribute since the camber increases as the suspension lowers, increasing wear on the inner tire. And since the front and rear wheels are different widths, the only rotation possible is side-side, further ruining the tires.

Message here is the MX cabin has essentially no soundproofing, it's penetration of exterior noise increases with speed, road surface type, etc.... don't buy softer rubber tires for noise reduction.... and think twice about that suspension setting, which I set at "never".

Teslapalooza | 22 aprile 2019

When it comes to road noise isolation they have a lot to learn from established auto makers like Lexus and perhaps others who have perfected it. Noise was the one negative thing my wife and I noticed when we first test drove the car. I had to force myself to overlook it since I loved everything else about the car.