Forums

There's an AC button, why not a heater button?

There's an AC button, why not a heater button?

When the weather is mild I would prefer to just have the CC on "vent" where you get some airflow but no heat or AC - thus saving battery. You can turn the AC off with the button (though it took me a bit to figure out which was on and which was off), but if the temp outside is a bit lower than your setting it could turn the heat on. I don't want to have to dial down the temp setting all the time to make sure this doesn't happen. It would be nice to have this capability, along with a little icon at the bottom of the screen by the fan & temp to show if the heat and/or AC are active.

Bighorn | 31 ottobre 2018

AC conditions the air. Doesn’t mean it’s cold.

dbwitt | 31 ottobre 2018

Agree on this Effopec. I wish there was an easy way to just vent air, without having to change the temps. Also, it was at a little easier on V8 to see when the heater was being used with the orange color used in the climate controls. I don't see that on the V9 version though.

sroh | 31 ottobre 2018

I've been wondering if I'm missing something on this issue as well. Especially since we know the heater has an even bigger impact on energy usage, it should be something that is easy to see and adjust.

jjgunn | 31 ottobre 2018

Bighorn is always right....

Increase the temp setting & see what happens while the AC is on.

calvin940 | 31 ottobre 2018

More is not always better.

Alex_SD | 31 ottobre 2018

Turn the AC off and move the temperature dial to the minimum setting. There you have it: the heater is off! Now you can play with the fan speed...

vishious911 | 31 ottobre 2018

I would prefer a way to adjust the AC relative to cabin temperature. Or basically give me the heater option so I can shut it down.

Because if it's 80 outside (which is what we see on the display) and say it's 72 inside (we don't see this on the display), and when I set the temperature to 76, it starts to heat up and blow hot air! WTH

hokiegir1 | 31 ottobre 2018

@Alex -- The heat is not necessarily off at "Lo" (~60*F) if the interior temperature is in the mid-50's.

msm.socal | 31 ottobre 2018

Bighorn +1000, why do people always thing AC means COLD? That's just not correct.

bradbomb | 31 ottobre 2018

I don't think I've had a car that has had a "heater" button. Just AC as others have mentioned. However, in ICE cars, if you set temp to hot and you do not have "AC" turned on, you still get heat through the vents because the air coming in is heated by the engine and not the AC unit. In an electric car, the air is conditioned (both cool and heat) by a separate unit.

@msm.socal
@bighorn

Air conditioning (often referred to as A/C) is the process of removing heat and moisture. So, yes, A/C means cooling and never heating..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning

Jlomb436 | 31 ottobre 2018

Also, is anything bothered by the fact that recirculation always goes off if you turn AC off? I always like to use recirculated air but if you turn the AC off while it's on and turn the AC back on, it will start using outside air. Never understood this as all 5 of my previous cars doesn't reset this option.

BostonPilot | 31 ottobre 2018

Another vote here for a way to prevent the heat from coming on. It draws enough power that I want to be able to defeat it without having to change other things (like having to set the temperature to LO).

I’ll just leave this here for Alex:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stonumautomotive.com/running-cars-air-condi...

Trying to educate, not debate.

jordanrichard | 31 ottobre 2018

Since I have had my Model S (Mar 2014), I have never once had to "turn on the heat". The car does what it has to, to get the temperature to 70 degs.

bpaul | 31 ottobre 2018

Yes! "A/C" meant "heat or cool" in my Prius, but in the Model 3 it is obvious I'm getting heat with the A/C off.

I feel like I've finally got a handle on how the environment controls work in the car, but I don't think I'll ever understand why they are that way.

@Bighorn,

Thanks for the link! It doesn't change my statement though...
The A/C compressor could be used in combination with the hot air intake to help dehumidify the air and clear fogged up windows... So, in winter, the A/C primary function is de-humidification and not so much cooling. However, the heating source is always the same: engine heat...

So what about my statement do you disagree with? Heat is resistive though.

calvin940 | 31 ottobre 2018

Not sure what the issue is here. In pretty much every car I have owned having AC (probably 10 total in my life), there were climate controls and an AC toggle button (most with a little light bulb or led) equivalent to this on screen implementation.

@Alex_SD Except for in a complete Electric car. The heating source is not the engine heat since there is no engine, just an electric motor. Tesla has a blog post from 2006 about it

https://www.tesla.com/blog/blowing-hot-and-cold

Effopec | 31 ottobre 2018

@jordanrichard - it's not that I want to "turn on the heat", I want to be able to turn off the heat. In ICE cars heat is free, so no reason to turn it off. In EV's heat is not free. It is often in the 50's-60's in the morning and 80's or higher in the afternoon here this time of year. For me, 50's is not low enough to need heat, I'd just rather have a little vented air. So I'd often turn the temp all the way down and AC off so the heater doesn't run. But then in the afternoon I don't want it to be in the bake in the sun in the 80's, so I need to turn the temp back up and the AC on. I would like to be able to just leave the temp setting at 72 and decide whether to allow either AC or heat to come on with separate buttons. More of an economy setting.

@brad. Yes, absolutely. EVs are different.

@bighorn. I might be arguing a little bit more about concepts and principles here. Even de-humidification is performed through cooling. The basic principle is the same: hot air holds more moisture than cold air. So, the air is first cooled down, the moisture is recovered as water and than the air is heated up again to a more comfortable temperature by mixing it with hot air. The A/C compressor always does the same thing: cools the air down and recovers the humidity as water.

Airplanes have the same cabin design: they use A/C packs to cool down and de-humidify the cabin air and than the air is recombined with hot jet engine air to a more comfortable temperature...

Goofy Runner | 31 ottobre 2018

The temperature control should be somewhat similar to a Nest Thermostat. There is a Summer, Winter and Auto mode. It would be nice to disable the heat just as we can disable the AC. Unlike a home thermostat there are sometimes which require both the AC and heat to defrost the front window. It would be nice if there was an easy way to control these (master switch) without having to overthink setting the temperature.

jefjes | 31 ottobre 2018

I wouldn't mind having a heater button or maybe a button labeled vent only so outside air could be brought in without heating or cooling and no need to go into the menu to do that. Once venting is no longer desired, it could be turned back off and the HVAC system could be returned to your previous settings without menu adjustments again. One small peeve I also have is the way the defrost button works. When pressed if first comes on blue blowing cool air, press 2 blows heated air which is fine but then once the fogging has been removed, press 3 turns the defroster off but leaves the heat on even if I had previously turned it off. That requires me to turn the heat back off by holding the fan icon down or going back into the HVAC menu to do so. I want to use mainly seat heat so I usually keep the HVAC off after preheating the car on plug power but the windows still need defogging from time to time. The current set up requires four or more button presses to go from seat heat only back to seat heat only just to defog the windows.

@effopec I keep my car on Manual AC ON and the temp setting to LO. I have yet to have the heat turn on me in the morning when the car is still cool.

HighlandPony | 31 ottobre 2018

What if the button label as changed to ‘Vent Only’ instead of A/C? If selected it wouldn’t heat or cool, simply provide airflow. That would provide the most useful functionality for me. If you want temperature control use auto, if not use vent only.

@HighlandPony Have you had a car before that has a vent only button? My '93 Camry, '98 Mustang, '05 Explorer, '08 Corolla, & '13 Mustang all had an A/C button that when turned off, would put the car in vent only if the fan was on

Correction, my '98 Mustang had a setting on the knob dial for "Vent".

gmr6415 | 31 ottobre 2018

I don't know about other vehicles, but my 1997 Dodge Dakota runs the AC while the heat is on to help defog the windshield and dry out the air in the cabin. You can hear the compressor coming on and off the whole time the heat is on no matter how cold it gets.

All said, I would like an easier way to just get outside air moving through the cabin. A touchscreen button to turn off the heat seems like it would be the easiest way with the leas amount of steps especially as the outside temp changes through the day.

seattlemag | 31 ottobre 2018

@Effopec, if by "ICE cars heat is free" you mean it's a natural by product of an inefficient combustion process that costs multiples more to operate than an EV, then yes you're right ;).

And TECHNICALLY it isn't free as it's stealing from the engine, which at startup wants all the heat it can get in cold weather. The faster it warms up, the sooner it can stop running rich air/gas mixture. So to hyper-mile your ICE you'd actually want to turn heat off until reaching operating temp... But I digress :).

All joking aside, I think you can get the result you're looking for by simply turning off A/C and manually setting temperature to low.... just like you would in your ICE car:
"So I'd often turn the temp all the way down and AC off so the heater doesn't run"

Try that out and see if you're happy with the results.

When the temp started cooling in the mornings, I spent a lot of time and effort to find that balance of the highest possible "no heat" setting and determined that LOW or simply OFF is the best when I wanted to hyper-mile. The cabin would eventually cool to a temperature where I would get too cold and needed some heat anyway, and at that point the heater would have to be turned on.

Now I don't even bother, as I've determined it's worth the increased energy use to be comfortable on my 50 mile round-trip commute. Isn't that the reason I bought a $60k car anyway? But it is a personal decision and YMMV. Happy driving!

mikehen08 | 1 novembre 2018

After reading this thread, I feel like I have been using my temperature controls wrong in every car I've owned. I always thought A/C was for cold air only, not hot air. I always wondered why my Silverado would automatically turn on A/C when I had heat set to max. It drove me crazy!

Even in my Tesla I kept turning A/C off when it is cold out and I need to warm up the car a bit so I can feel my hands. I set it to 72 and let it do its thing. But it was driving me crazy that my windshield wasn't defrosting properly so I will try it with A/C turned on now that I know it removes moisture.

Every day is a school day!

terminator9 | 1 novembre 2018

Interesting titbit of information... HVAC = heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.
If AC meant also heating, then why would it be separate. It should be called VAC. Outside of US, when central HVAC until isn't an option in the house, when AC term is used, it only means cooling. They have separate units for heating (heaters) if needed.

With that said, the "AC" button in cars have always confused me as heating (at least in ICE cars) works with our without it.

beachmiles | 15 ottobre 2019

Please add a heater toggle button while in manual mode.
Ideally add heater off mode, level 1 reuse battery heat in cabin only, or level 2 / max kW to use for cabin heating.
https://moretesla.com/issues/a8FHK8b56XpeWIxIcgxx

beachmiles | 15 ottobre 2019
spuzzz123 | 15 ottobre 2019

Deja Vu my man. If you are trying to get others on board to support your ask, I’m guessing your multiple posts are having the opposite effect

slingshot18 | 15 ottobre 2019

I really want the ability to turn the heater on and off, too. Like really bad.

beachmiles | 16 ottobre 2019

Sorry if my attempts to get people on board with this long standing feature request. I hate having to constantly monitor the temps to disable AC and set the temp to LO to disable the heater, and then when it gets warmer having to turn the AC on and my upper setpoint temp of 72. But if the outside temp drops to 70 I have to then disable the AC and set the temp back to LO, etc. It is not easy or safe on the streets to do this especially with my seat all the way back to fit my legs so I have to fully extend and reach to touch the screen.
It seems like some like minded people here.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/dont-want-heater-on-damn-it.131334/

I suspect this small seemingly simple feature added to every Tesla across the world would sum up to a tons of saved electricity. Seems like a decent % of Tesla owners are generally of the mindset that climate change is not a hoax. Save power, slightly extend range and save a couple battery cycles over the life of the car.
This feature seems like an absolute no brainier, if you use auto then nothing changes.

TickTock | 16 ottobre 2019

I agree with the general sentiment and would like an enhancement as well but I would propose a different solution. Allow me to set two temperatures, a max and a min, instead of just one. Then I can set the max to, say 74F and the min to 64F. That way it never cools or heats if the temperature is within that zone. Heat only comes on below 64F Cooling only above 74F. If you want, the heat to never come on just set the min really low.

derotam | 16 ottobre 2019

@TickTock, that was mentioned over at TMC as beachmiles linked above. What you propose was proposed there, but it won't work for everyone, and there are other issue....

TickTock | 16 ottobre 2019

Very good. I did scan this thread quickly to make sure it hadn't already been mentioned before posting but I did not follow the links. Isee now it was one of the first suggestions in that other thread. I do think a lot of people will find it confusing or onerous to have to set two temperatures. Perhaps adding a hysteresis option (defaulting to 0) in some obscure menu would serve the same purpose. Then it works the same as ever for everyone who doesn't care but the rest of us can go set it to 10 degrees or whatever we like.

beachmiles | 17 ottobre 2019

Really think the heater on/off temp setpoint and cool AC temp setpoint is not that hard to understand. And if this is only used in manual mode then all the auto HVAC people will be unaffected.

I would be ecstatic to have just the heater off button but I think the small amount of work to add the 2 temp setpoints to make the car basically have a built in Nest thermostat would be a lot of value added. There is plenty of screen real estate to spell out exactly what the temp sliders do once they are enabled after entering manual mode. Or maybe just leave manual mode and make an advanced mode or call it something catchy like the Nest. Here are some thoughts
Zeus mode or EcoZeus mode
Thor mode or EcoThor mode
EcoFlex mode
Advanced Eco mode

Some more ideas for names for the advanced AC menu. Trying to think of God's of weather, master of nature, and saving the planet themes as you will save energy using the 2 temperature setpoints if you live in climates like the southwest.
King/Queen Mode depending on user profile gender?
GreenKing /GreenQueen Mode
Royal Mode
RoyalEco Mode
Nirvana mode
MaxEco mode

ReD eXiLe ms us | 17 ottobre 2019

Wait... Why not a 'MODE·EXECUTE·STANDBY' button?

Bighorn is always right.

There is no 'DEHUMIDIFY' button either, is there?

Not sure what you mean by MODE·EXECUTE·STANDBY.
But dehumidify options would be great

Not sure what you mean by MODE·EXECUTE·STANDBY.
But dehumidify options would be great

bradbomb | 17 ottobre 2019

@beachmiles As I stated much earlier in the thread, please tell me of a non-Tesla vehicle that has a "Heater button". A/C stands for Air Conditioning. You can condition the air to be hotter or colder. If the A/C button is off, the car is just venting air from outside and is not conditioning it.

PTdenver | 17 ottobre 2019

Wow what a thread, really ? just like any other car, has A/C ...A/C compressor on or off, heat is controlled by temp you set,is ( is the temp you set warmer than the cabin?, heat turns on?) why is there any confusion? :)

@PTdenver +1

TickTock | 17 ottobre 2019

There is a reason this doesn't exist on ICE cars - heat is free (or, more accurately, you already paid for it) so noone cares if the heater was used when only a few degrees below the set point. Not the case for an electric car - hence the need for an independent heat control.

@TickTock But the same logic as any other car applies. If you turn off the A/C (actual A/C button, not holding the fan icon till the whole system turns off) and set the temperature to Low, the heat is turned off and the system is venting only. Why recreate the logic that every other car uses?

Pages