Forums

Model X Tire Chains

Model X Tire Chains

Anyone order these recently? If so, approximately how long did they take for delivery?b

plugzin | 21 dicembre 2018

Really, no one on the forum has ordered snow chains recently? It's December!

colorczar | 21 dicembre 2018

I've not ordered chains from Tesla directly.
Instead, via amazon - Autosock 698
Thanks to the wonders of amazon, here in the US - these can be acquired overnight.

lilbean | 21 dicembre 2018

Do the autosocks work?

Don't know if those would work. Just wish someone from Tesla on line sales would communicate with me so I would know their intentions. If they are sold out, there's no mention of it anywhere. Hate driving into snow country unprepared, even with all wheel drive. Maybe I'll try to call one of their other numbers.

lilbean | 21 dicembre 2018

I haven’t heard of anyone having any success communicating with on line sales.

jojim556 | 21 dicembre 2018

I'm not sure why you'd need chains. I've driven my MX100 in the Sierras twice now without using chains when there were chain requirements. The check station let me through. It drove great in the snow.

We'll see. So far the forecast is clear of storms for the area we plan to transit. Just don't like not being fully prepared. Yes, I've given up trying to communicate with them. Of course, my cc has been charged for the item already. They will probably arrive while we are away

Waldek | 21 dicembre 2018

I purchased chains for Model X... I did it like in May. It was delivered within a week. But with Tesla you never know and I wouldn't compare. Elon Musk himself is not good at keeping time. I am big fan of Tesla but I wouldn't rely and on their timely delivery lol :) and side note... I have chains as I do go to Mammoth for skiing a lot but having all wheel drive I never had to put them on.... you just required to carry chains with you ;) so I do! haha

jjgunn | 22 dicembre 2018

It's AWD...chains not required for 4WD or AWD vehicles. But can be used for extra safety.

Solarman004 | 22 dicembre 2018

I'm happy with the Autosock. I only have them for the rear tires. Easy to put on (raise suspension first) and they grip very well.

plugzin | 1 gennaio 2019

Update here. I finally got an email from on line sales, and they advised of an out of stock condition. Then, a day or two later, got an email saying they had been shipped, and would arrive 12/31; now updated to a 1/2/19 arrival (tomorrow).

Turned out the ski trip did not require chains, thanks to mild weather.

At least I will be fully prepared next time. Seems the requirement is either AWD plus snow tires, or AWD and chains. AWD with regular tires not good enough, when the weather demands it, at least in California. I agree with earlier post, that with the AWD feature, the chances are you won't really need them anyway, but must have them on board.

Vawlkus | 2 gennaio 2019

I’m Canadian, we don’t need chains. }B)

Perkins53 | 3 gennaio 2019

Chains are illegal in Mn says my SC.

plugzin | 5 gennaio 2019

Alright, my snow chains arrived 1/2, and today I set about the task of doing a trial fit in the driveway. Reading the Tesla branded manual that came with the chains, I note the following "recommendations" (yes,I actually read the manual first - please withhold comments about manhood):

Install tire chains on the following Tesla-approved wheels and tires only -

275/45R20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires mounted on 20" "Helix" wheels.

(There's a similar statement about 19" wheels, but our MX has 20" wheels)

We have the stock (non-upgraded) whelels, which I believe are 20 inch "Cyclones". They are definitely not "Helix". Tires are what Tesla provided on the car, Continental 275/45R20's.

So is Tesla really telling me that after spending nearly $500 on these special chains from Italy, that I also need to
Change my wheels and tires for them to be compatible? This is ridiculous, especially for occasional use.

Anyone have more insight into this? I probably could have tried to find the tire chain manual on the Tesla site, but didn't figure the exact type (not size) of tire would be that critical, and also foolishly assumed our stock wheels would work as well. I'm not even doing a trial fit without knowing more.

What's that tire sock model again, #698?

lilbean | 5 gennaio 2019

@plugzin I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

plugzin | 5 gennaio 2019

Yes, I would not have bothered ordering them had I known about all the requirements. May end up returning.

lilbean | 5 gennaio 2019

Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. I read on another thread that those chains come off the tire while the center is still attached and ship around the car causing damage.

plugzin | 6 gennaio 2019

Not good! Maybe the non-Tesla approved tire socks are a better choice, especially for only occasional need. I wish Tesla would disclose more information up front; these chains are heavy and I'm sure that as a result the shipping cost is not cheap.

plugzin | 6 gennaio 2019

So the Tesla.com/shop site shows that our wheels, 20" slipstream, are compatible with these chains, so maybe I should still try them at least. What I'm confused about is that the manual included with the chains doesn't match what the Tesla site says. Maybe a call to the company is in order. I am having trouble understanding why the exact make and model of tire is all that critical, but I certainly don't want to risk damage to the expensive aiuminum bodywork!

lilbean | 6 gennaio 2019

The chains for my 3 seem to be more secure. They wrap around the entire tire as opposed to just the outside of it. I wonder if they make those for the X.

eileenobrien | 29 gennaio 2019

Hi - I live in LA and am planning to drive up to Mammoth on Thursday. I ordered the Tesla Model X chains but haven't received any information from Tesla on an estimated delivery date (I don't think they've even shipped yet). Does anyone live in LA who would let me borrow/rent Model X snow chains for the weekend? If not any suggestions on what to do, other chains that would work? Thank you!

lilbean | 29 gennaio 2019

I would get the Autosox.

lilbean | 29 gennaio 2019

If you leave on Wednesday, the roads will be clear. But then you'll have to stay until Monday when it stops snowing. :)

sean | 29 gennaio 2019

I suggest the K-Summit chain if you at all concerned about damaging your wheels or vehicle. Here is a link:
https://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=275/45-20&f=Koni...

peter | 29 gennaio 2019

I see a number of posts that imply that AWD vehicles do not need to have chains in mountain passes. It will depend on the tires installed to determine if chains need to be carried on some passes.

chuckgrim | 31 gennaio 2019

In California for 4WD you have to carry chains in all places that are under chain control.

Solarman004 | 31 gennaio 2019

The AutoSock has served me very well through 3 Colorado winters. I only have a set for the rear wheels, but the traction is great.

plugzin | 1 febbraio 2019

Tesla ranger came by today, and did a trial fit of the Tesla supplied "Trax" snow chains. Once the chrome cap is removed from the lug, the supplied 21 mm socket fits just fine. And it seems that both the blue and red collars for the center anchor are used, so the one, supplied bolt is fine. I wish the documentation for these was less ambigious, but I think I'm good now that I've seen them applied first hand. The ranger had a little gadget tool that made taking the chrome caps off of the lugs a snap. These should be supplied as well, but you have to get them from a service center, or come up with an alternate tool.

mbirnie51 | 2 febbraio 2019

Here in California, it is required to carry chains even if your vehicle is equipped with AWD or 4WD.
( http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/chains.html { Requirement 3 (R-3): Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.} ). I first looked at the Tesla chains and viewed the installation video on the Tesla site, then thought hard to see if the expense was worth it. As most have said the AWD Model X would only need chains under the R-3 conditions. I went to Les Schwab to get some to carry with us and they have a "if not used you may return" policy, so that was my solution.

bob | 2 febbraio 2019

@plugzin do a "lug nut cover removal tool" search on amazon (or google). The tool is pretty easy to find. RPMTesla, EVannex and Teslarati most likely all have something similar.

lilbean | 2 febbraio 2019

You keep the lug nut on. You remove the lug nut cover.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Audi-8D0012244A-Wheel-Removal/dp/B00GZH9H...

Sorry, bob. I can't read sometimes. :)

bob | 2 febbraio 2019

no worries 'bean

:o)