Forums

Wish list: Drive mode/steering mode quick toggle

Wish list: Drive mode/steering mode quick toggle

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I believe being able to change the drive mode from “chill” to standard at the tap of a button from the little quick access ^ menu would be nice. Changing from chill to standard while getting on the interstate or highway can be distracting if you weren’t able to do it right before getting on the road. I would like to see the ability to change it through button presses w/o going through vehicle settings. Anyone else feel the same way?

rasinas | 16 aprile 2019

Only tried chill mode once since we bought the car. That was enough for me.

AWDTesla | 16 aprile 2019

Use driver profiles. I have one profile that when I select it, the steering comes closer, the seat lowers and steering goes into sport mode. I have another for winter where slip control is on and chil mode is activated when that driver is selected.

hokiegir1 | 16 aprile 2019

Mine has only been in chill mode twice -- once when I was messing with hubby and turned it on for his profile, and once when he was trying to make a tough leg of a trip, so was using it to conserve energy.

If you are going to turn it off that often, why not just leave it off and learn to drive more conservatively on your own? Much more useful skill.

gmkellogg | 16 aprile 2019

I use chill mode for winter

Magic 8 Ball | 16 aprile 2019

I think they are working on a wireless neuro implant. For early access use my code.

#Lazydriver

lordmiller | 16 aprile 2019

Magic 8 Ball LOL!

voltavitz | 16 aprile 2019

Magic 8 ball, okay, cool. Don’t use auto pilot or cruise control then. It’s a luxury vechicle. E for effort though

Magic 8 Ball | 16 aprile 2019

@voltavitz I use EAP and TAAC all the time. A simple flick of the right side stalk, is that hard? But drive mode, seriously? Drive mode is set and forget, rarely changes.

gump59 | 16 aprile 2019

Took mine into a service center, was diagnosed as a loose VIN plate for the same noise as OP. It went away for a day then returned. Their "fix" for it was this: https://ibb.co/RzmqHN1

pieces of foam wedged between the windshield / vin plate and dashboard.... and glued into place there. The foam is visible from the driver's seat. I responded to the SC managers followup email with this information and will see how they respond. I consider their fix to be a defacement of my vehicle instead of a proper fix.

Additionally, the rattle was initially notices about 1-1.5 weeks after I accepted delivery.

gump59 | 16 aprile 2019

oops, wrong thread! sorry

cfcubed | 16 aprile 2019

M8Ball, king of forum member abuse. Anyway, like @AWDTesla said - user profiles provides this, 2 screen clicks to switch. We've a pair of saved profiles w/low regen/chill mode set in case we ever get caught in snow/ice (RWD).

AWDTesla | 16 aprile 2019

Exactly. We named them comfort, sport and winter mode. 2 clicks and you've changed driver mode. Really nice in the winter when you're on a clear highway but need to change modes quickly when getting off the main roads and into the farmer/side roads.

Thanks, I set up another user profile. Hopefully they still instill a quick driver mode toggle

derotam | 16 aprile 2019

I agree with hokiegirl....I think learning to drive more conservatively would better serve you instead of forcing the issue.

Curious though...have to don't any tests to see how much more efficient(over time) you are between the different modes?

Brian B | 16 aprile 2019

I have used the profiles for switching from chill to normal. Comes in handy, like the time I pulled up next to a Challenger R/T. After going neck and neck, he was so surprised he let his window down and said "What you got in that thing!?"
Me: It's electric
Him: What?
Him: What?
Him: What?!! Electric?!
Me: Yeah
Him: Sh**!!!...................(eyes bugged out).......................Sh**!!!

Hokiegirl and derotam, I’m coming from a Camaro so I stayed switching between sports track and tour mode very often. It’s a common feature really

derotam | 16 aprile 2019

voltavitz, yeah but I think your possible efficiency gains were greater in the camaro than they would be for the Tesla. If you are just looking for the option because of your historical use in other cars, well then so be it, but if you are looking for that option for actual efficiency gains then I personally don't think you would be gaining that much...but would have to test to see.

Arktctr | 16 aprile 2019

I use "Chill" for most of the time and occasionally switch when I want to have some extra fun. The few times I've wanted more is when I've needed max acceleration to get out of a situation. Instead of changing the mode formally, it would be cool if a full throttle (or nearly full throttle) input equated to defaulting to normal mode instead of chill. Chill honestly has a good amount of usable power but there have been a handful of situations where it would have been nice to seemlessly switch modes even temporarily. Just a thought.

Kary993 | 16 aprile 2019

Why don't they just make a voice command for this "Mode Chill", "Mode Sport", "Mode Track". That is faster than any screen and you don't have to take your eyes off the road.