Forums

Falcon wing doors and trunk open even without enough space

Falcon wing doors and trunk open even without enough space

Had two issues with my doors/trunk recently. Anyone experiencing the same thing?

1. The other day when I tried to open the trunk and falcon wing door in my garage, they ignored the garage door on the ceiling and thus opened to full height. Both doors and trunk hit medal parts on the garage door. It only occurred on that day though. I tested them at the same location multiple times after that day and things worked fine.

2. When something is close to the falcon wing door, human or medal, the door will still try to open (and hit the obstacles) even if there is not enough space.

I took my car to service center today. For 1 they can not reproduce the issue. For 2, they ran a test and told me everything worked as expected. The sensors just ignore things that are too close. I find it really hard to believe. I am very certain previously the doors wouldn't open when I stand really close to the them. They would just make some alarms and move at all. Now they open regardless of whether close obstacles are detected or not...

jimglas | 17 aprile 2019

dont open the doors if there is not enough room, like any other car.

jjgunn | 17 aprile 2019

Only time I ever had it happen to me was the passenger used the button on the pillar & literally a split second later I used the center screen button to open it for him.

Know what happens next? Yeah, the center screen button is an override. Tiny little paint chip is getting resolved tomorrow - Yay!

luojiesi03 | 17 aprile 2019

@jimglas, you don't really have to comment if you don't know how to properly discuss things. Following your logic there is no need for any sensors at all.

For anyone else reading the post, I am trying to understand the expect behavior. And the doors DID stop when there was not enough space before. Also would like some additional data points on the first behavior as well.

@jjgunn, sounds like in your case the door did recognize that it should not open and your click on the screen override the decision? For me the door will open as long as someone pushes the button...

Can you share how much does it cost to fix your tiny pain issues? I also had a couple because of the incident..

lilbean | 17 aprile 2019

My car never got a medal.

Damn... I meant metal....

lilbean | 17 aprile 2019

:)

jjgunn | 17 aprile 2019

Cost me about $200-$300 but I'm having a full detail done plus paint correction/opti-coat pro plus touch up. Initial opti-coat Pro Plus was about $1,100 including full detail.

@lilbean - I think your car should get the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

luojiesi03 | 18 aprile 2019

@jjgunn that's not bad at all! I thought paint damage, even tiny, could cost much more than that..

Vawlkus | 18 aprile 2019

Why not watch the door/trunk and stop them if you think they’re getting close to something? You’ve got the stop button on the center console, or another tap on the key fob will stop them moving.

raffidesigns | 18 aprile 2019

The doors have a setting to open at full height or to go by the sensors. In controls -> vehicle -> falcon door height. This does also work with the trunk.

This is a location based setting. I would park the car before going into the garage. Hovig to quick settings and open both falcon doors and trunk. You should see a “always open fully at location” hit the (x) icon. All doors except the frunk should open using the sensors.

raffidesigns | 18 aprile 2019

*Go to quick settings*

@raffidesigns - thanks for the tip. I wasn't using any settings like that though... For 1 the issue went away at the same location. For 2 it's consistent for all locations I have tested it at...

@Vawlkus - This is I am doing that already. But for obvious cases I would expect FWD to work.. Otherwise there is no point having any sensors.. Also it's pretty hard to do so when the door is opened from inside.

mikea | 19 aprile 2019

I've had this issue when the roof sensor seemed to miss the existence of a lower hanging section, such as a cross beam or the garage door was not fully retracted. The roof sensor is approximately halfway from between the front and back edges of the falcon doors.

As a safety practice, when opening the trunk or falcon doors in the garage or a tight space, I usually do it with the fob and stand nearby to stop it if it seems to get too close to an object. it doesn't require much pressure to stop them.

Also, I have the paint kit. It covers small chips ok.

I hope this helps.

sgehlhoff | 20 aprile 2019

I’ve had the opposite problem where the doors wouldn’t open in my garage. At all. Turns out when I replaced my opener the guide rod was rectangular instead of round, and the ultrasonic sensor bounced off that hard. I ended up stapling some speaker felt up there to let the doors open. Now they only open about 2 feel laterally, where they used to do the standard “low” open.

bp | 22 aprile 2019

At the work parking garage, there is a pipe directly over the rear trunk hatch. When the rear hatch is set to open to full height, the spoiler hits the pipe.

Tesla claims the rear hatch will stop before hitting the pipe, so either there is a sensor/software problem or the support person was incorrect.

We haven't been able to get the settings to work for lowering the rear hatch only in that location and full height everywhere else - so we now have the hatch set to open halfway everywhere, which is annoying, but at least doesn't risk damaging the spoiler every workday...

Tesla should provide more information and control over the geolocation settings (FWD, rear trunk, air suspension) to make it obvious when you settings are being saved at a specific location. They should also provide a list of the locations where these setting have been done, so you can verify the settings in a specific location and delete the ones you don't want.