Forums

Customer Service

Customer Service

Is it just me, or does Tesla Customer Service smell swassy?
In my personal experience, the cars are great but the CS is by far the worst I've ever encountered. Just terrible.
Anyone else concur?

NKYTA | 11 maggio 2019

I’ve had 6 great years of Customer Service.

I hear it is less than ideal right now....if you don’t know your Service Manager at your local, reach out, form a relationship.

It should be good.

jordanrichard | 12 maggio 2019

“Smell swassy”. What’s is that? Also could you offer some specifics?

The degree of satisfaction is completely dependent on one’s expectations. Often people have unrealistic expectations and then decry that they aren’t being treated right.

jimglas | 12 maggio 2019

Bad customer service is the new FUD
The cars are clearly superior so that line of attack is too obvious
So the shorts rely on this and "elon is unstable"
Sad FUD

TeslaTap.com | 12 maggio 2019

I suspect a few people out of 500,000 owners get poor service, which is disappointing. I and all Tesla owners I know in the area have always gotten great service, so it's strange ever time I see a complaint that is made out that everyone gets poor service. Some of these "poor" service are not even Tesla, but a body shop or a beef with the insurance company having poor rental coverage. Then there is the FUD factor or the rare owner who wants something for free out of warranty and are hoping some kind of public shaming will help (it doesn't).

@kg97 - Would be nice to delete your duplicate post too as only you can do it.

btvo64 | 12 maggio 2019

The rear bumper on my Model 3 fell off when I drove home in the rain last Tuesday. I called Tesla and got passed around different departments. I was told by Service Center to take to a Tesla-certified body shop for assessment. After I got my car towed there, the body shop created an estimate. I e-mailed it to the Body Shop department and I was told that it was not under warranty even though my car is less than 1 year old and less than 8000 miles. Also, they told me that if I have questions, go to Forums. Some service (and warranty) for a new $50K car that can't drive in the rain.

jimglas | 12 maggio 2019

i call FUD

btvo64 | 12 maggio 2019

It must be nice to have nothing major happened to your car. Some of us are not lucky. I'm not the only one encountered this issue with the bumper. While I was at the body shop, there was a Model S without the rear bumper. Electrek even had an article about it last August. So while Tesla vehicle are superior, there are areas that could be improved. I just think that they should take any issues more seriously, instead of telling owners to go to Forums.

neilhamrin | 12 maggio 2019

My customer service with solar city on my second install in Ca. and my experience with delivery of my model 3, my second Tesla, was bad enough so I sold my stock-about $100 a share ago. Love the products but the management is concerning.

kg97 | 12 maggio 2019

Ok so to clarify my comment, after accepting delivery of my car, I noticed my referral code wasn't reflected on my account. I've sent a dozen emails and nobody responds (except the automated email bot). When I call, A Tesla staffer assures me my referral code has been entered, when I tell them I don't see it reflected in my account and I've been charged at supercharging stations on every visit, their response is "it all looks good on their end" and they just hang up. WTF?!?! I keep calling back and some employees tell me it takes 4-6 weeks for it to reflect, some say everything looks good. How is that? A friend of mine used my referral code and he also is facing the same issues as me. I just feel no one is helpful or genuinely want to help. Can't imagine what it'll be like if I try to get something done under warranty.

@btvo64 - Is it possible the rear bumper was partly ripped off by one of those cement parking curbs? Sometimes they have rebar sticking up too high. You back into the space and it digs into the bumper and when you pull out it rips out the bumper so it's barely holding on. This can happen with almost any car today that have plastic bumpers - nothing unique about Tesla. Often when this occurs it rips off the bumper right then, but I can see it hanging by a few snaps and pulling off when driving - likely due to airflow more than rain.

Contact your insurer, as they should cover this. Doesn't sound like a warranty item.

btvo64 | 12 maggio 2019

Tesla Tap.com - Absolutely not. I'm offended that you even suggested that. I always parked my car at the end of the row and in the middle of the parking spot. Even the body shop knew that I was telling the truth when they inspected the car to do the estimate. They even told me that they encountered this type of issue before with Model S and Model 3 but not with the X. I waited for 2.5 yrs for this car and through numerous delays. I also own Tesla stocks so there is absolutely no incentive for me to tell lies about Tesla.

btvo64 | 12 maggio 2019

The rear bumper issue on the Model 3 is not new. Like I said before, there was an article by Elektrek last August, https://electrek.co/2018/08/13/tesla-investigates-model-3-bumper-broke-off/

Yodrak. | 12 maggio 2019

"Is it possible the rear bumper was partly ripped off by one of those cement parking curbs?"
"I always parked my car at the end of the row and in the middle of the parking spot."

What does the latter have to do with the former?

btvo64 | 12 maggio 2019

"In the middle of the parking spot" means I left plenty of space in front and in the back of the car.

TeslaTap.com | 13 maggio 2019

@bvt - Not sure why your'e so offended. I just was offering a possible reason. I'm not saying you are wrong so don't shoot the messenger :)

I was only pointing out there could be a logical reason for the bumper to come off, other than just falling off by itself. Sort of surprised though that you've never parked where there are those cement parking curbs, but every area is different and that is fair.

Sounds like the electek article indicated the cars may have gone through a flooded area. Is this something you did perhaps? I can see a massive amount of water scooped up and appling massive pressure to the rear bumper. Without looking at the damage, it's hard to evaluate from afar. Still it does seem like a bit more of an insurance claim to me.

Tropopause | 13 maggio 2019

If a bumper just falls off it's fixed under warranty. If the owner does some sort of damage to the bumper causing it to fall off it's not covered under warranty.

Tuanp40 | 13 maggio 2019

I thought i raised my suspension to the highest but apparently it went to low some how. $4000 cost for running on the curb and 1.5 minths without a car.

marylboegel | 14 maggio 2019

I am trying to import my Canadian Tesla Model 3 to the US. Not getting help from Customer Service. I just need a letter from Tesla stating the car meets US safety standards. Any ideas on how to get this letter?

J.T. | 15 maggio 2019

>Also, they told me that if I have questions, go to Forums.<

It has been my experience that when I have mentioned the Forums to any Tesla employee they roll their eyes and remark how they are cautioned never to read the Forums because of all the crazy people who hang out here. So, this part of your account seems a bit unlikely.

RAAK | 16 maggio 2019

I am with you bro kg97 and agree with your comment 100%.

I was rear ended and damaged to my 4 months old M3. it is in BS and waiting for parts from TESLA for more than 2 months. I really regret buying M3 with one huge payment. If I have spent same amount and bought a car from other mfg, I will be treated like a king.

TESLA Parts department is not providing me the definite date parts delivery.

scorptrigger | 31 maggio 2019

I'm having an issue with a used Tesla purchase as well. I put a deposit down on a P100D Ludicrous and now they are telling me it's actually a P90D. They are very slow to respond to my questions. My initial order and the initial response email both confirmed the correct specs. I got suspicious when I saw the pictures with a p90d badge on the car and they told me they were going to put a P100D Ludicrous badge on it for me. But at the same time they were saying it had a 100 kwh battery. What should I do? They are very slow to respond to my emails. I just checked my Tesla order online and it was changed to a P90D today.

scorptrigger | 31 maggio 2019

I'm having an issue with a used Tesla purchase. I put a deposit down on a P100D Ludicrous and now they are telling me it's actually a P90D. They are very slow to respond to my questions. My initial order and the initial response email both confirmed the correct specs. I got suspicious when I saw the pictures with a p90d badge on the car and they told me they were going to put a P100D Ludicrous badge on it for me. But at the same time they were saying it had a 100 kwh battery. What should I do? They are very slow to respond to my emails. I just checked my Tesla order online and it was changed to a P90D today.

dmm1240 | 1 giugno 2019

scorptrigger:

If it's a 90D and you want a P100D the answer is obvious -- don't purchase the car. Go into wherever it will be delivered show them and demand your deposit back to that they put you into a 100D.

TeslaTap.com | 1 giugno 2019

@scorptrigger - There were a bunch of P90s that Tesla installed the 100 kW battery, but software limited it to 90 kW. While more costly for Tesla, it was only for a short time until the 90 was discontinued. Tesla has done this with a number of models, such as the 2nd gen 60 actualy had a 75 kW battery. It allowed Tesla to make fewer battery variants at that time.

Ok, having the 90 software enabled for the 100 kW is an easy action for Tesla (just a software tweak). What is nice about this, as a used '90', it means the owner could never charge it to 100% of the 100 kW, which is not healthy for very long term longevity. It's not a huge deal, but it does mean the battery could be in slightly better shape than a used 100. As long as they deliver it as a 100, it truly is a 100 and I wouldn't be worried about it. They cannot make a real 90 kW battery a 100 kW battery, only a 90 with a 100 kW battery can become a P100D.

Tesla-David | 1 giugno 2019

I also call FUD! Almost 7 years of Tesla ownership 3 cars (2 MS's and M3) and nothing but excellent service from Tesla on all our cars over this entire time. Never had a problem getting their attention to address any issue I had.

afetzer | 3 giugno 2019

After six weeks with an M3 in Texas I get NO service whatsoever. I have a problem with home charging and no action to get title license plates. I can't call anyone, they won't answer e-mail or chat. I have telephoned the local service they calls are redirect calls to a call centered call centered in California that doesn't answer.

dmm1240 | 3 giugno 2019

Okay, I want to test something. What service center are you talking about specifically?

exevbuilder | 3 giugno 2019

Hey Elon:
We have plenty of room in National CIty for a new factory. Just south of San Diego. Close to a shipping port.

renoal | 3 giugno 2019

Not happy either with how things were handled.

wellikson | 5 giugno 2019

Having a terrible time with several items. If I had any idea it would be like this probably wouldn't have purchased.
Car was delivered Saturday evening. As soon as I first drove it in enough different light situation on Monday, discovered the windshield is full of scratches and some small dings. Could not get to anyone at all in customer service who would even try and help except to tell you to email. Called the manager at one of the Galleries here and he sent my request through to the distribution center. They call me back and leave a number with an extension. Extension does not work so back to emailing the man that helped and he has them call. me again. Get through and deal with an extremely rude individual. Wants me to drive out there in the middle of my business day to the complete other side of town. I try and request something more convenient. We are getting no where so after I ask to someone in a higher level she leaves it off that she will have her manager call me. Another day goes by and no call. Back to square one with no help for something they are responsible for.

Second surprise, ordered vehicle over 4 weeks prior to delivery. Referral deal was 5000 free miles, changing to 1,000 on 5/28. Car was estimated to get to me in under 2 weeks. Did not get the text that car was ready till late Sunday 5/19. Received paperwork for my Credit Union 5/23. Check was sent overnight by them on 5/24. Check number and tracking supplied to Tesla Rep as requested. 5/27 Memorial Day, so lose a day. Even had written my Tesla person back when I first got notice that car was finally ready to make sure i got the 5,000 miles as promised. Car gets to Houston on 6/1 and delivered to me same day. App has 1,000 miles not 5,000. Have emailed referral program as directed by the Tesla rep that handled my purchase ... surprise NO answer.

What a bad way to start. And they have you over a barrel especially if you traded in your car. You cant turn back in since you have no vehicle.

I was a big believe in Tesla and was even thinking maybe I would invest since I believed it will just take time for them to get there. Based on their customer service my feelings have changed drastically.

Is it an emergency? No. But the lack of caring about the customer by anyone other than sales is terrible.

You can even get an answer back on merchandise order over a month ago, and paid for, that still hasn't been shipped.

So frustrated.

dmm1240 | 5 giugno 2019

Not my experiences with service AT ALL!,,,